fragile original keys - need new ones for 2015 gen3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my Yamaha keys are like butter. Soft and easy to bend. More so than my other bikes. But I never use the original once the bike is home. It is nothing but the stud key for copies which are used in the ignition and for dedicated bag keys. Since I have spares, karma allows in-use keys to last longer. Of course, the aftermarket blanks I use are better quality than the originals.

tempest766 posted: <snip> OK guys. It's a 2015 FJR (gen 3) US model...Are we 100% positive that the 2015 US is not chipped?
Yes.

Ask again, and you'll get the same answer, preceded and followed by nasty aspersions about your parentage, IQ, and reason to be on this Forum.

Please note what vintage FJR has been under my crotch for 52,000 miles. I am on my FIRST original key, by the way.

tempest766 also posted: Will try to locate somebody with correct replacement blanks and a key cutting machine tomorrow.
Why not do an advanced search on this website for "duplicate key"? It would have taken less time, and would have turned you on to this thread. If you actually have the patience to read it all the way through, there's a cool idea on cutting keys, inserting them into a radio knob, and leaving them in the hardcase. (Thank you, Pterodactyl!)

PS: I've purchased two steel spares that I leave hidden on the bike in case of emergency. You can advance search for that, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
OOH, OOH, OOH Shit hud, I was just wondering last week where to hide a spare key as I cae out to the bike and my pillion was gettin into the saddlebag to either get something out, or put something in. Scared the shit outta me and I started thinking. I don't even know if there is enuff steel on the bike to attach a hide-a-key..

Gues I'll hafta figure out the advanced search.

Da Wolf

OOH, OOH, OOH Shit hud, I was just wondering last week where to hide a spare key as I cae out to the bike and my pillion was gettin into the saddlebag to either get something out, or put something in. Scared the shit outta me and I started thinking. I don't even know if there is enuff steel on the bike to attach a hide-a-key..Gues I'll hafta figure out the advanced search.

Da Wolf
I have a hidden key on my bike. There are various areas you can hide the key. Metal is not a requirement. I have a small canvass flat pouch that I glued on a strip of velcro. I glued a strip of velcro to the underside of the center of the headlight cowling. It is out of sight and easy to access if needed. To keep the key in good condition put it in a small zip loc bag.

wetwolf: My spare key is "hidden" in the topbox, which is never locked but full of unorganized clutter. And I'm outta likes, or I'd have tagged you!

(Shit. Now my secret's on the internet. I'll have to find another hiding place.)

PS: "Advanced Search" is the gear icon beside the search box. Long-timers will be able to narrow down results by entering the author's handle, or an approximate posting date, or some other filtering criteria. Still requires more than three letters as the search criteria, though.

My bike came with some kind of compact key organizer - like a car key-fob, but for several different keys. I don't use keys unless absolutely necessary (like on the bikes) - my house and primary vehicles are keyless. I've even come up with a way to adapt my bikes, but that's another story..

Anyway, my point is - the "keys" that fold into that device are only 1/2" or so longer than the part that slides into the ignition tumbler. When I take the bike on a trip, I put that "spare" key into my wallet, which has a spot for that very thing, it appears.

I've never lost or broken a key, but being hours from home on a bike I can't start is something I don't care to experience...

You know, I wonder how many of the people that end up bending keys are the ones also using the front steering lock? That is one habit that I just never developed. But I do notice some other folks who use the steering lock religiously.
Other than being an PITA to the owner when the bike is parked, I've never been able to appreciate how that improves the security enough to be worth the hassle, and maybe bent keys? Kind of on the same bent as a disc lock in the brake rotor?

Of course I don't actually live in a high crime area either, so these type of measures aren't really necessary. My insurance would still pay off if the bike were ever stolen, but the odds are pretty low of someone heisting an almost 700 lb old man touring bike.
Seems like the original question has been asked and answered over and over, but I wanted to say something about the fork lock, which I use most of the time. It's not (for me) so much to keep somebody from stealing the bike, as it is to keep somebody--for any reason--from moving it. Maybe somebody on another bike who wants to share the parking space I'm in, maybe to push it out of the way, hell, I don't know. Why does anybody do anything? It might even keep some clown from trying out the fit and feel of an FJR by climbing aboard and making "vroom vroom" sounds. I just like that it immobilizes the bike as well as it can be immobilized.

And btw, I had a couple extra keys made a while back (less because I break things and more because I lose them). I removed most of the wide head of the key with a bench grinder, and taped the much thinner result to a card that I keep in an inner pocket of my wallet. Which is always with me, of course. No need to find hiding places on the bike.

wetwolf: My spare key is "hidden" in the topbox, which is never locked but full of unorganized clutter. And I'm outta likes, or I'd have tagged you!
(Shit. Now my secret's on the internet. I'll have to find another hiding place.)

PS: "Advanced Search" is the gear icon beside the search box. Long-timers will be able to narrow down results by entering the author's handle, or an approximate posting date, or some other filtering criteria. Still requires more than three letters as the search criteria, though.
Well, this is turning out to be a very useful thread, not because I keep breaking my keys but learning all the ways to get free FJR parts
rolleyes.gif

I took mine to a local locksmith/keymaker and put the originals away while they were nearly new. I've done this on many of my previous bikes so it was just SOP.
I still have one original key that has never been inserted in a lock! The other got used for two days. I have always considered motorcycle keys to be a "wear item", like tires, and expect them to require replacement now and then so I have always had replacements made to use daily and hang the originals up and never use them except to have another copy or 2 made. I've never broken an Ilco replacement in a lock either- a little wd40 flush, a spritz of (alcohol) contact cleaner and a pssst of silicone lock lube once in a while helps too.

Many people have complained about how their FJR locks/keys are problematic but IMHO it's only b/c the locks are mounted horizontally, you know, flat. Rain drips in a lot easier than the lock on a car door. A little preventative maintenance can go a long way.

Fred w

I don't think it is a matter of picking up a big bike, I use the lock so they can't roll it around the corner to their waiting trailer.

I almost broke a key on one of my first trips on my '15. Had the key in the pannier lock and leaned over the bike to grab something out of the open pannier on the opposite side. Bent the key 90 deg with my belly. Pulled it out, started praying and walked over to the local hardware store. Borrowed a hammer and used their bench vise to gently straighten it out. Idiot me didn't have a spare with me. First thing I did when I got home was go to a locksmith and have a couple of spares made. I always carry a spare key for every lock on my motos now.

92K on the 08 and never had a key issue.

Low miles on the 2015 and I already started bending one key. Sorry Iggy but the 2015 keys are shit.

When ever I take a long trip I carry a spare key. It will be either in one of two places. Sorry I will not divulge those locations. As for locking the handle bars I have only done it in the last year a few times. My brother in law decided to move my bike and put a couple nicks and scratches in it while I was away. Good thing it was the older 08 FJR. I was keeping it at my mother in laws garage at the time. I don't do that anymore.

Dave

OK guys. It's a 2015 FJR (gen 3) US model...Are we 100% positive that the 2015 US is not chipped? Seems like an "upgrade" they would have worked into the gen3 bikes.
Regarding being fragile...these keys on the 2015 are the most fragile of any key I've ever used. Since the lockup on the saddle bags can be finnicky I've stressed the first key on a couple of occasions...and today I innadvertantly leaned on the bike too close to the saddlebad lock (with key in it) and nearly broke the key off in the lock....but I digres because I've got a whole other rant about the OEM luggage....keeping focused...anyway, my bike had a metal master stub with a code stamped on it. Oh, and something as simple as putting the key in my back jeans pocket and sitting on a bar stool has bent it, and I'm a pretty light guy.

It would sure be nice to confirm that this bike does NOT use RFID/chipped keys and that a dumb cut replacment will work without danger of disabling the bike.

Your input is appreciated.
Sounds like you don't need a chipped key, but for those who might, I used this guy

I agree the keys aren't the best. I keep bending mine even though I'm aware how easy it is and try to prevent it. I've straightened mine a little a half dozen times. So far it's none the worse for wear though.

I took mine to a local locksmith/keymaker and put the originals away while they were nearly new. I've done this on many of my previous bikes so it was just SOP.
I still have one original key that has never been inserted in a lock! The other got used for two days. I have always considered motorcycle keys to be a "wear item", like tires, and expect them to require replacement now and then so I have always had replacements made to use daily and hang the originals up and never use them except to have another copy or 2 made. I've never broken an Ilco replacement in a lock either- a little wd40 flush, a spritz of (alcohol) contact cleaner and a pssst of silicone lock lube once in a while helps too.

Many people have complained about how their FJR locks/keys are problematic but IMHO it's only b/c the locks are mounted horizontally, you know, flat. Rain drips in a lot easier than the lock on a car door. A little preventative maintenance can go a long way.
+1 except never use WD40 in a lock or anywhere that you are wanting to use a lube. It's ass as a lube. The carrier is the only thing that lubes and it evaps leaving a grit-attracting mess.

+1 except never use WD40 in a lock or anywhere that you are wanting to use a lube. It's ass as a lube. The carrier is the only thing that lubes and it evaps leaving a grit-attracting mess.
Agreed. Graphite is the best thing to use, and if you do't have any powdered graphite, you can use liquid wrench which evaporates and leaves a film of graphite.

You're absolutely right, I agree 100%. That's why I said, a little wd40 flush, a spritz of (alcohol) contact cleaner and a pssst of silicone lock lube once in a while helps too. It is for me a complete process, always done start to finish every time.

08FJR4ME posted:
..... Low miles on the 2015 and I already started bending one key. Sorry Iggy but the 2015 keys are shit.
Goes along with the other reports of soft paint, tendency to fall over, and slow color.

POS bike.
coolsmiley02.gif
Almost 56,000 miles and still on the original key. The key does have a wiggle in the middle, where it's been bent and straightened a few times.

08FJR4ME posted:

..... Low miles on the 2015 and I already started bending one key. Sorry Iggy but the 2015 keys are shit.
Goes along with the other reports of soft paint, tendency to fall over, and slow color.

POS bike.
coolsmiley02.gif
Almost 56,000 miles and still on the original key. It does have a wiggle in the middle, where it's been bent and straightened a few times.
If you add stripes they go faster.
winksmiley02.gif

Dave