Frankentank 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know.. I'm going to have about a quart left over from painting me truck :unsure:

I've always though red would look good on my garage art... ;) And these pictures prove it..

By '03 was repainted after...a long story. I have learned that anywhere your body contacts the paint constantly can wear through. For example, where my wife's calves rub the side pieces, it has worn through the clear, the paint, the primer and through to the base black plastic. Apply the 3-M or other protective materials where there will be a lot of rubbing.

I was wondering about your avatar picture change and now I get the whole story. Well actually only part of the story because although I can see the avatar, I only see blank spaces (damn 'net nazis here at work) where I'm assuming you've posted pictures of the newly painted bike. So I can't wait until Saturday to see it in person.

You better put some paint protectant on the bike to protect it from all the drooling that's gonna happen in a few days! :lol:

You will now be branded a Hooligan! :ph34r:

Looks Great! :clapping:

Now if only mama Yamaha would take notice. :(

That thing is unreal. With a theoraretical 45mpg, you could go 400 miles between fill ups. My truck can barely do that much.

Lucas

That is sweet looking , Mine did 300 miles and I still had a gallon in the reserve, and yours is another 1/2 to 3/4 gallon bigger. you should be able to rest at the gas station while everyone else is filling . That's what I do now,riding with the BMWs and their small little tanks!!!! More pics when in the sunny skies please. Jim

That thing is unreal. With a theoraretical 45mpg, you could go 400 miles between fill ups. My truck can barely do that much.

Lucas

Just did a 4500 mile trip to BC, Alaska, Yukon, Alberta and back. Pulling a trailer, 2 up doing an average 80 mph we got 37.5 mpg.

Maybe if Yamaha sees these pics, they might decide to add a red to the fold. Beautiful bike. :clapping:

Jesus, that looks SOOOO good.

If I decide to stay in country and keep the FJR for the next few years I will certainly have to bribe dirttracker to fam me up one of those. This 230miles/tank just isnt working for me.

Props to you BOTH!

Jesus, that looks SOOOO good.

If I decide to stay in country and keep the FJR for the next few years I will certainly have to bribe dirttracker to fam me up one of those. This 230miles/tank just isnt working for me.

Props to you BOTH!
Thanks, dirttracker did a very good job building this tank. Most people would not know the differences unless I hold the stock tank next to it (which is now painted red to match also)

here are a couple of outdoor shots from the spring tech meet. One thing I learned, the bottom of the '07 donor tank is not the same as the '06 that the bike is. I have a '07 air box on the way so it will match the bottom of the tank. I had to install a spacer to keep the bottom of the tank and the air box from hitting each other. (proves that you can't assume all things gen II are interchangeable)

003-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

I gotta ask....why do you need a trunk with that fucking great big trailer??????????

R

By the way it looks awesome......

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand this big tank thing. For me the standard tank has more range than my seat. I've got to get off and move about a bit long before my tank is empty. I'm not riding anywhere where the gas stations are 300 miles apart. If you want to go more than 300 miles between stops the ride has gone beyond pleasurable for me to being an unpleasant chore.

Just out of curiosity, did you use an HVLP gun to paint it? Just wondering if the quantity of (expensive) paint could be reduced a bit.

BTW, outstanding job!

-Rick

Just out of curiosity, did you use an HVLP gun to paint it? Just wondering if the quantity of (expensive) paint could be reduced a bit.

BTW, outstanding job!

-Rick
Yes a top fed HVLP. I don't know if it could be reduced anymore. When you get everything ready, there is a lot of surface area to paint. Plus, I sanded the orange peel out of the color coat before putting the final coats on.

Latest posts