Front axle install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcarnut

Reaction score
Searched but didn't see a specific thread for this.

Just installed a new front tire, and my question concerns tightening the axle. Re-installed the axle and first tightened the large bolt, then the pinch bolts on each leg. Noticed I can get a very slight amount of lateral movement on the wheel, not much, like maybe a couple of thousandths. You can see the slightest gap between the right leg and the spacer. Shouldn't there be zero lateral play? I can get the play out by undoing the right leg pinch bolts and gently pushing the leg over then re-tightening but this will cause lateral pressure on the fork seal and internal bearings. What am I missing here?

Last edited by a moderator:
The axle assembly stacks up with zero clearance with right spacer, inside bearing race spacer [which you didn't mess with] and ABS cover.

You should be able to tighten the axle bolt only and snug everything up. Can you spin the right spacer with the axle tight? Shouldn't be able to.

--G

The plate that covers the ABS mechanism can cause problems if not installed correctly, and it is easy to get wrong.

On 2nd gens: When you tighten the big bolt on the left end of the axle, it draws the axle through the stack-up of parts and spacers and should remove all lateral play, even before you tighten the pinch bolts.

Do the suspension bouncing after the end bolt and the left side pinch bolts are tightened up to spec. Then tighten the right side pinch bolts. This allows the forks to sit parallel to each other and not bind during suspension actuation.

The axle assembly stacks up with zero clearance with right spacer, inside bearing race spacer [which you didn't mess with] and ABS cover.

You should be able to tighten the axle bolt only and snug everything up. Can you spin the right spacer with the axle tight? Shouldn't be able to.

--G
No it's tight, which is as it should be if the axle nut is tight.

On 2nd gens: When you tighten the big bolt on the left end of the axle, it draws the axle through the stack-up of parts and spacers and should remove all lateral play, even before you tighten the pinch bolts.

Do the suspension bouncing after the end bolt and the left side pinch bolts are tightened up to spec. Then tighten the right side pinch bolts. This allows the forks to sit parallel to each other and not bind during suspension actuation.
Well, yes and no. Tightening the nut draws all the assembly tight to the left fork leg but the right leg floats by design. In theory there should be zero play between the right leg and the spacer but in this case there is the slightest of play. I can take the play out by gently pushing in on the leg then tightening the pinch bolts but I just thought this shouldn't be needed. Like I said, it's really a small amount of play and maybe it means nothing and I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

If it's of any help, I did a mini-write-up here.
Thanks, yes, I found your write-up in my searches. It was helpful to confirm my assembly procedure. I've changed tires on FJRs many times but this is the first time I though I'd check for lateral play just for giggles and was surprised to find it.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.

For the record, the FSM has a "caution" before the install sequence that says to push down hard on the handle bars several times before tightening the axle bolt. Then it follows with the sequence - axle bolt, right pinch bolts, left pinch bolts. Used this procedure yesterday after changing wheel bearings and had no issues.

Well, yes and no. Tightening the nut draws all the assembly tight to the left fork leg but the right leg floats by design. In theory there should be zero play between the right leg and the spacer but in this case there is the slightest of play. I can take the play out by gently pushing in on the leg then tightening the pinch bolts but I just thought this shouldn't be needed. Like I said, it's really a small amount of play and maybe it means nothing and I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.
No, by design it doesn't matter that there is some space between the inner right side fork leg and any of the spacers in the (now compressed) stackup of parts. In fact, there is supposed to be some amount of clearance there so the right side fork leg can float to its natural vertical position. When you tighten the pinch bolts it secures the bottom of the right leg to the axle and will no longer move laterally (but that small space will still be there).

By pushing the right leg inward and then tightening the pinch bolts you are forcing the fork leg into a non parallel relationship with its mate and this will increase the friction of the forks to sliding. That's why I advocate bouncing the forks after the end bolt and left side pinch bolts are tightened and then tightening the right side pinch bolts afterward (leaving the space).

Love this topic. Always have to add my $.02. The SM says to make sure that the threaded end of the axle is flush with the fork slider. I measure it. Bouncing up/down on the front end has never worked for me. Be careful when torquing the pinch bolts - on the Gen2 they are off center and will cause the slider to walk (change position). I think what we're talking about here is parallel and prevention of the dreaded 45 mph h.s.. Decent front tire wear is a plus.

Well, all seems to be well. Decided to go back to square one, undid both sets of pinch bolts, pulled the axle and started over. Re-inserted the axle, tightened the end nut/bolt, then the left leg pinch bolts, then took it off the center stand and pumped it three or four times, then did the right leg pinch bolts and everything is snug, no play. Not exactly sure what happened the first time, maybe I was just seeing normal axle movement before I tighten the right leg. Anyway, thanks everyone, back on the road now, really appreciate the help!