Front fork upper pinch bolt, accessing with a torque wrench?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceaway

Reaction score
I have a generation 1 FJR and I've been trying to access the upper of the two lower bracket pinch bolts on the front fork legs with a torque wrench. The problem is that I just can't find enough space in there to fit the torque wrench with an allen key socket. I tried removing the horn, but the bracket that the horn attaches to is still in the way and I didn't find any obvious way to remove it. Have anyone else had the same problem?

Yep, that's a tight spot.

I took a dremel cut off and shortened the allen key so that only the last 4mm is there. It's still tight - but having it shortened really makes it easier. I use a Craftsman 3/8" drive torque wrench.

23 newton/meters = 17 foot/pounds. That's hardly a snug with your hand on a 3 inch long allen wrench. Like 'foosh says, snug it up and you'll be fine. Unless you MUST justify that money you spent on the torque wrench. :)

Yeah, now that I think on it, I'm not sure I did use a socket handle!! Just a hex key.

But the point is the same. When it's tight, you know it's tight. Snug it down, it ain't goin' nowheres.

...besides, you're gonna be REAL pissed if you tighten it too much and crack that $250 part!

"Snug Is Good!"

"Arbeit Macht Frei"

Thanks for your advice :) I tightened it using the allen key and figured it should do until I managed to find a better suited alley key socket. But judging from what you say I will just leave it at that. Anyhow there are at least two more properly tightened bolts to keep it securely in place :)

Yep snug is snug 17 ft lbs is pretty easy to achieve by hand with feel. I know the big debate on torquing to spec, but the only thing I really fuss with is brake calipers, and tire axles. Most every thing else is by hand. Oh I did torque my clutch cover when I installed the Barnett Pac and Scorpion Clutch Springs.

I mean 17 is a pretty light torque.