Front Tire Cupping/Scalloping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they all cup, all of them !!! the mystery will never be solved, worry about some other shit like meterorites or
the rapture.
no they don't. been running Bridgestones for the last five years @ 42 psi front/rear and never had a front cup...
They don't cup, they scallop.

Guess I need to take pictures of the BT023 I took off last night. Many would not see it but there is bumpy wear in the treads to the left and right of center. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

They don't cup, they scallop.
No, that can't be right either. I have eaten scallops several times, that is Seafood. I know Seafood, in fact I know Seafood very well.

I have only had seafood influence my tire performance twice. Once I drove through a mass migration of crawfish crossing the road and that caused a slip/slide moment. Another time while driving on Fourchon Beach a catfish fin went through the side of a brand new Goodyear Wrangler HT. It went flat pretty fast. Since that was actually a Hardhead Catfish and they are not good to eat, that may not have technically been seafood.

So, if we INSIST on using the exact word or term for this phenomenon but we cannot seem to agree what exactly that word or term is, how do we handle it?

I say that:

1. Feathering is something that a man did to his hair in the '70s and '80s.

2. Cupping is when you use your hands to drink water from the faucet OR is what happens when a breast is lifted by hand.

3. Scallop is a shellfish pictured on the Shell Gas Station sign.

Can we just call it a funny wear pattern? Is it really that important?

My 2016 OE BT023 front at 6201 miles. Viewed from the top, left side is (was) left on the FJR. Discolorations are floor dirt.

I have (had) a nice flat center track and each side left and right has a flat angle. With palm of hand one can feel scalloping in the sides. By eye one can see feathering and some scalloping.

IMG_0255_zpsbaesuwb7.jpg

Latest posts