Front Wheel Bearings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkin

Reaction score
Good morning, I am trying to get my bearing on bearings...I had some very uneven wear on one side of a very new tire and am thinking that at 51,000 miles I may need to change my front wheel bearings. In looking at the parts fiche online it looks like the description says "spacer bearing", and "bearing". My question is do I need both? and is there anything else I should replace at this time?

Thanks!

Dan

Good morning, I am trying to get my bearing on bearings...I had some very uneven wear on one side of a very new tire and am thinking that at 51,000 miles I may need to change my front wheel bearings. In looking at the parts fiche online it looks like the description says "spacer bearing", and "bearing". My question is do I need both? and is there anything else I should replace at this time?

Thanks, Dan

Uneven tire wear is not necessarily a sign of bad bearings. More likely it is tire pressures too low or the tires themselves or you did mostly left handers vs. right or something like that. If cupping, some is unavoidable, but if you run 40-42 in front and 42-44 in rear this will be lessened since the tires won't heat up as much.

However, when you remove your wheels, put your finger inside the bearing and rotate it. If it is smooth turning with no notchiness, the bearings are likely OK. You re-use your spacers, be sure to note which side they go on.

All you will need to replace is the bearing and the oil seal on each side. You can check your bearings to confirm they are the problem. Remove your wheel and rotate the bearings by hand. A bearing is shot if it feels "gravelly while turning. Before removing the wheel you could also try raising the front end and seeing if the front wheel has any side-side movement indicating a "really" shot bearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to post the same question in multiple areas. It doesn't reach more poeple, and it makes two simultaneous conversations, which is confusing.

Duplicate threads merged. PLEASE avoid mass post blasting the same question in multiple areas. Posted in one place will get your answers just as quickly and will concentrate the data to make it easier to find.

FWIW, I think I recall someone saying it takes a special tool to install wheel bearings.. Something about a sleeve or driver or something not being of 'normal' size. Do you research before you pull stuff apart..

FWIW, I think I recall someone saying it takes a special tool to install wheel bearings.. Something about a sleeve or driver or something not being of 'normal' size. Do you research before you pull stuff apart..
Well when I blew my front rim, I heated the wheel hub and froze the bearing. They dropped right in for me. I would not know about them coming out as the wheel was trashed. Cant be that bad though.

Last edited by a moderator:
fellas, thanks for the info! When I first posted my computer told me (yes I said the computer told me) that the post was unable to go through? naturally I tried a work around, no bad intent. I really appreciate the quickness of your responses and I now have a clear plan of action.

As always, thanks!