front wheel bearings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FkStub

Reaction score
HI Has any one removed the front wheel bearings with out the special puller. by hit out the bearings with a old screw driver . Is there room between the bearing and the centre tube to tip out the bearing.

Yes, I used a long punch and was able to drive the opposite bearing out through the wheel centre. The second bearing was easier with the extra space if I remember correctly. I did mine about 8 years ago because I felt a little roughness in one bearing when doing a tire change.

HI Has any one removed the front wheel bearings without the special puller. by hit out the bearings with a old screw driver. Is there room between the bearing and the center tube to tip out the bearing.
Howdy,
One important thing that I do when it comes to wheel bearings is to think that there are superior bearings on the market. This will take some research on your part, but what you're looking for are what are called Ceramic bearings. They are more expensive but are stronger and will last 10 times longer. Then you'll want to use ceramic tapered fork bearings as well when the time comes.

Tom Buckley

They are more expensive but are stronger and will last 10 times longer.
Perhaps, but I have only replaced one set of (front) wheel bearings in almost 300,000 miles (450,000 km) on two Gen II FJRs. I check them for rough/notchy feeling every time I have a wheel off. We aren't that hard on bearings so, for the cost, I would choose a higher end quality steel bearing (SKF, Timkin, NTN or FAG). Never had to replace a steering head bearing on any motorcycle but would probably go with a tapered steel bearing when the time comes. I would avoid some of the cheap generic bearings from China...

Word of warning... I purchased All Balls for a BMW front wheel. They didn't last for one tire. The tire wore prematurely, and I was bad mouthing Bridgestone; until I removed it and discovered the bearings were JUNK! :eek: I've since became an OEM guy. Even "Name Brand" bearings come from China... just say'n

Pete-o

Even "Name Brand" bearings come from China... just say'n
Which is why I said "cheap generic bearings from China" (I did not include All Balls in my list). If they are manufactured in China (or elsewhere) for a name-brand bearing house, they will be manufactured (and tested) to appropriate specifications. All Balls sources bearings from all over the place, including some good brands but don't count on them all being high quality. Note that Yamaha (and likely BMW) do not make their own bearings either but it is likely that they are not using "bottom of the barrel" quality junk.

I threw my Yamaha original wheel bearings out. They probably said made in Japan from 06. I’ll look closer next time I order some. Spring is just around the corner; I can’t wait!!!

I need two front wheel bearings for a spare front wheel I got years ago. I was just doing a little research and interestingly enough, they changed the part number for the front wheel bearings going from Gen II to Gen III. Odd. I thought the wheels were identical......

More research shows the that every other part including the wheel itself, spacer, collar, ABS sensor, and seals are all the same. Oh, and it's a whopping $.50 more for the Gen III bearing from Parts Shark. $21.31 vs $21.81.

So, why did the bearing change part numbers????

The extra wheel I have is from a Gen III. I can get some Gen II front bearings for relatively cheap. So, the million $$$ question is can I use the Gen II bearings in a Gen III wheel? Since the wheel is the same, I would say the answer is yes. But, then why have different part numbers at all?

Fyi, I interchange wheels from my Gen II to Gen III FJRs all the time depending on what wheel/tire combo I want to run currently with no issues over thousands of miles.

Last edited:
It was only a couple years ago. Wait, it was pre-covid, so maybe more like 8 years ago. The covid time gap always screws me up. If Charlie went out of business that really sucks. Honest and helpful guy.

I just received wheel bearings for a V Star from Partzilla and they are from Japan. 🤑 I pay more for OEM, but then have; ZERO fitment issues, trouble, doubt, anxiety, and/or remorse... need I go on... 🤷‍♂️ Watch out for sandy roads.....

+1 on OEM whenever possible -- although it is sometimes possible to have your cake and eat it too! More than one set of K&L fork seals have been sourced from the same supplier as Yamaha used. Have not looked at their wheel bearings yet, but every AllBalls bearing I've ever looked at was chinesium.