Frustrated Scala Rider G4 user considering moving to Sena 20S.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought I'd throw uClear HBC220 into the mix. I'm really happy with mine. I have synced passengers as well as bike to bike. It's good clarity and pretty easy setup, and if you get the ear buds, the fidelity is just amazing. I just got back from EOM today, and was able to setup other riders with a second unit I have, and on the trip back was in touch with phone calls, great music on MP3, Pandora and the iPhone through a Zumo GPS. I was able to sync with another rider with a Sena headset, but failed to sync with a Bilt unit.
The passenger can share your music and hear GPS directions with uClear, or sync to their own phone in addition to intercom function.
I've looked into the uClear kits briefly, but the boomless mic thing kinda puts me off - especially as we've had so many issues with ones with booms! If I can get over that kneejerk reaction thery might be worth considering. More research required... Thanks!

No matter what units we have, I think the earbud situation I described earlier will be the same. It's an input volume level problem, not an output one.

The boomless mic is pretty nice, and I've used the Autocom for years. It picks up voice, but filters out wind and engine noise very effectively. If you'd like to give a unit a try, let me know. I'll send my second unit for shipping cost to try, as long as you send it back. It is very easy to setup. I prefer the earbuds, but the speakers are okay.

<snip WarpDrv's response>
The uClear ones have the mic actually in the speakers, no wired or boom microphone at all, that's the bit that weirds me out.

They use some audio processing voodoo to make a virtual microphone in front of your mouth. Witchcraft, I tells ya! ;)

Your feedback on the Sena 20S is very helpful, thanks WarpDrv!

TominCA's comments re: uClear -

The boomless mic is pretty nice, and I've used the Autocom for years. It picks up voice, but filters out wind and engine noise very effectively. If you'd like to give a unit a try, let me know. I'll send my second unit for shipping cost to try, as long as you send it back. It is very easy to setup. I prefer the earbuds, but the speakers are okay.
Thanks for the offer, appreciate it! However, I'd really need to have two for a proper test, so I won't ask. :)

I had a wired Autocom back in in the UK in 2000-2003. Good quality sound, but hated the extra unit and thick cables. When we moved to Calgary I threw it in a closet and when I finally got a bike again a couple of years later the battery had leaked all over it (oops, my bad) and wireless units were starting to come onto the market, so I threw it out!

I know I've banged on about the issue being at the input side, but I have also done some more research re: earbuds and am thinking I might give these ones a try:

https://www.plugfones.com/product/plugfones-yellow-earplug-earphones/

They're only $15 a pair, so an experiment with those ain't exactly a threat to the credit limit...
rolleyes.gif

The Senas might be a self-gifted christmas present...