frustrated with HEAD SHAKE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another update

I agreed to pay for another front tire.... This is the forth... They gave to me at cost... They called on Friday and said the shake is gone...

I went in on Saturday and rode it, like hell it was gone, I noted the Speed and gear it was in and had the tech reride it...... Sure enoguh he finally rode it like I told him all along and experienced it..

Take off in first, switch to second and take up to fifty, let go of the bars and immediately goes into a head shake with about three inch sway on bars, at about 35 it gets worse enough to regrab the bars.

Same thing happens in third gear.

Well the explanation now is bad neck bearings, I have to wait for those to come in, and they now said that even after adding the bearings and torquing to specs, they could over torque them and make the head shake dissapear.. That sounds like masking the problem.... The service guy even said hey "what about a steering stabilizer"......

What the hell, I thought the dealer should be on my side, and trying to throw this back at Yamaha and get them to own up to fixing it.

markjenn pretty much covered it. For the hell of it i would have

the fork oil level checked. I ran into this once, one fork was at

the proper height, the other was very low. Stranger things have

happened in production. A HEAVY rear spring should also help

alot.

Are they putting in STOCK bearings or ALLBALL tapered bearings? I suppose if it's YES covered, they'd do OEM. If I had my choice, I'd install tapers!!!

thanx, for all the advise, I had asked the manager about the front fork oil and springs, and he just kinda shrugged me off like I was an idiot...

I may be going in to pick it up soon and take it somewhere else.

I will keep you posted, with what they find out

Having a similar problem with my FJR. No wobble for the first 7600 miles. Went in for 8k service which included replacing the tires - OEM Bridgestone's. Now I have a wobble, but only on grooved roads. Never had it before. Surprise, surprise, the service dept "cannot duplicate" my issue.

I'm going to have them put back my old tire on the front and see what happens. And yes, this is coming out of my pocket, not Yamaha's...

EDIT: I have the wobble when both hands are on the bars.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Rock,[/SIZE]

Someone said it earlier in the post replies; look at the rear end suspension and drive train. I think the problem is starting in the rear and working it's way up to and manifesting it's self in the forks. Have them (dealer) check the swing arm pivot bolt, the drive gear pumpkin nuts for proper torque, the spring/shock connection points, yolk and dogbones for proper torque and even the drive shaft to see if it is bent or out of balance. You have basically eliminated everything in the front end (except the rotors), it's time to look at the ass end of the bike! The slightest miss balance back there can be amplified and be transferred to the front of the bike causing this wobble. The Federal Lemon law applies to all motor vehicles, not just cars and if they can't fix it, they replace it!

I have the wobble on my '06 AE during de-acceleration between 50 - 40 mph with no hands or one light hand on the bar, but that is normal for most bikes! If your wobble is present during acceleration, coasting and de-acceleration at a specific speed range, there is a problem/imbalance somewhere on the bike.

Are you getting the Techs to write down that they too are felling the wobble on the work orders? You should request that all notes made whether verbal or non-verbal be documented on those work orders. Don't let that dealer or dealers slide on that point!! This is how you prove your case should you need to invoke the Lemon Law! If necessary, take it to another dealer who has not looked at this problem and have them document their efforts to fix the issue.

Good luck,

Violione

another update,

got a call from the dealership, they replaced the neck bearing with stock one. Torqued, and maybe torqued a little more than what it called for, at least that was one thing they said they were going to try. Gosh.... it still has the same problem.... I have mentioned to them to check the rear end of the bike and I don't know whether they have or not, I checked the obvious stuff when I had the bike originally, the swing arm pivot nut and the rear wheel nut. Everythig is where it was supposed to be, but it is at the dealership to make sure it is fixed.

I called Yamaha customer support, I was put in touch with a rep, and they called the dealer, the service manager is still waiting for a call back from the tech reps. Nothing can be done yet until they hear back from them. I asked about the file on my VIN number and she read what was in the file and it stated the problem and where it happens in the RPM range and that the service manager has experienced the problem and it is repeatable. I asked to add the fact that I am on my forth set of tires at only 11,000 miles or so..... I have had the stock bridgestones, firestones, Dunlop 205, and now the dunlop 225(Ithink)....

The dealerships are constantly telling me the headshake is from the cupped tires..... I am trying to tell them that I think the Headshake is what is causing the cupping to happen prematurely on the tires.

Still without a ride in Indiana,

Thanks guys for the tips and ideas to try..... I will keep you posted

FWIW my 06 also has a very slight wobble at 50mph. It only manifests itself if there is little to no pressure on the handle bars. As soon as I clamp down on the bars it goes away.

Rock, I've kinda read through your posts regarding the headshake. I've seen a couple of comments asking about what tire pressure your running. I may have missed it but I didn't see a response. I have an 05 that exhibited headshake w/the stock Bridgestones. When I checked my tire pressure, it was down to 29psi. The tires had started to cup in just a hundred or so miles. In trying to get rid of the headshake I tightened the steering bearings with no resolve. At the recommendation of a friend that deals with tires, I bumped the tire pressure up to 40psi front and 44psi rear. Lo & behold no more headshake. I since have switched tire brands and m now running Pirelli Stradas running the same pressures and still not experiencing headshake. Seen an 06 running Continental Road Attacks. Had the headshake issue. Came in to the shop with less than 30psi. Bumped pressure to 38psi. Headshake still present. Tightened steering head bearings, Still had headshake. Put on new front Conti Road Attack. Headshake gone. BTW the headshake was always starting around 50mph and not necessarily on decel. You could feel it with both hands on the bars. As soon as you lightened grip on bars (not removing hands from bars) headshake increased quite a bit. I feel that the issue lies with tire pressures. I also am a pretty large guy (about 280lbs.), and I'm convinced maintaining the right tire pressure is critical for minimizing tire cupping and associated wobble. I'm interested in hearing what your final resolution turns out to be. I sometimes post on Metriccruisers.net

Mickey

Hey Rock, what kind of weight are you putting on the bike? does it shake when you strip off the bags? have you got a shake regardless total weight?

i can say i have this front end problem on my 05 and so do a number of other fjrs from what i've heard. my bike is only bad when it's loaded now...with the pilot roads that is. With the brand new Avon 45/46 combo the bike shook wildly at 45-50. had shake b4 and after hand guards btw. the z4s never shook.

ppl don't bother to post on this problem imo...not having the shake bad enough, not wanting to get engulfed in endless minutiae and some have been around long enough to know the penalty for calling the tires that the ruling class sleeps with ugly. it's true that much has been posted in the past...unfortunately, when searching the forum for related posts there is a remarkable density of useless banter generated by little boys getting a good giggle at posts like "head shake"...and other subterfuge.

for my bike it's now a matter of weight. i keep it to a minimum. i can do that, i know some folks can't. but a light bike is a faster and better handling bike, so i work at it like i'm lowering take-off weight. i inflate the front tire 2lbs to 4lbs higher than recommended and it helps quite a bit.

Aggressive riding?...naughty boy. Apologize and ask for a pink Vespa.

Shakes

Hi there

My bike has started doing this in the last while ( last 2000 km is when I have noticed it )

In Km/H the shake happens between 70 and 90

If I take my hands off the bars at these in this speed range the bars start to shake back and forth worse and worse in under 5 seconds to the point I have to grab the bars again

I have the stock front and rear tires on

The frond does not show any cupping - if there is any it is quite minnor

Bike has 9000 KM

If there is any updates on this problem I would sure like the information

Later

Rock did you ever get the shake resolved?

BTW how does that 49cc pocket rocket do. any head shake there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed this the first time around. But now I want to know what the resolution was, if there was one.

If not, did anyone check the front wheel bearings. With one fork tube originally set at a different height than the other, could that not have caused bearing damage?

Hey ROCK

I was the guy you met at tail of the dragon and you spoke to me about this and i mentioned my bike did the same did you ever find out anymore.

Cart

Just wondering.

Have you taken it to Dryer on W. Washington?

They seem to be on top of the FJRs.

At least as of a few months ago, one of the service managers and a senior tech ride FJRs, and they have fixed tickers.

another update,
....snip...

Rock,

I'm interested to know if you resolved your head shake?

I purchased an 06AE with 833 miles on it at 6 months old last Jan

It came with the Bridgestone original tyres, I keep a spare helmet in the left pannier and my over trousers in the right, I carry my laptop in the Yamaha top box, I have the standard windscreen, I weigh 290 (yes...I know...lay off the chocolate)

I have carpel tunnel (surgery next month) so fitted the throttlemeister and use them a lot to rest my right hand when at a steady speed on the freeway

I've not experienced any head shake in 8,000 miles.

I took it into the dealers for the top box reinforcement recall and asked them what was going on with the front tyre as it looked like it had bumps in it...he explained it was cupping and as they were close I had them replaced.

I wanted the Metzeler 880 (have them on my BMW), but was told they don't make them the right size, so went with the Metzeler Z6

they only had the rear in stock, so they replaced that one and I headed home, as I was driving past the dealer on the freeway I took my hands off the handlebars (didn't noticed the speed I was doing (feared for my life) and the head shake was so bad I almost came off. I figured it was because I have the bad (cupped) Bridgestone on the front and the new Z6 on the back...I drove home (holding on to the bars all the way), put it in the garage and used the BMW until I got the call to have the front changed.

I didn't mention it at the time (like I said, I thought it was as a result of the mismatch and cupped front)...I left and at least on the ride home...no problem (hands off on the freeway at 70)

The Monday morning I noticed it again, at around 40 to 45, I experimented and could reproduce it accelerating or coasting between about 37 and 45, I procrastinated because the dealers is quite a way away...then it rained and the shake was even more severe...I called the dealers and left a Voicemail to schedule a time to bring it in (next Sat AM), then last night when I came out head home...the rear was completely flat

The bike will be at the dealers in the morning...I'm waiting to see if there is a puncture in the rear, or if there was something else wrong with it that caused all of this to start...in the meantime, if anyone has the magic cure...it would be good to know...I couldn't find it with the search utility :(

another update,
....snip...

Rock,

I'm interested to know if you resolved your head shake?

I purchased an 06AE with 833 miles on it at 6 months old last Jan

It came with the Bridgestone original tyres, I keep a spare helmet in the left pannier and my over trousers in the right, I carry my laptop in the Yamaha top box, I have the standard windscreen, I weigh 290 (yes...I know...lay off the chocolate)

I have carpel tunnel (surgery next month) so fitted the throttlemeister and use them a lot to rest my right hand when at a steady speed on the freeway

I've not experienced any head shake in 8,000 miles.

I took it into the dealers for the top box reinforcement recall and asked them what was going on with the front tyre as it looked like it had bumps in it...he explained it was cupping and as they were close I had them replaced.

I wanted the Metzeler 880 (have them on my BMW), but was told they don't make them the right size, so went with the Metzeler Z6

they only had the rear in stock, so they replaced that one and I headed home, as I was driving past the dealer on the freeway I took my hands off the handlebars (didn't noticed the speed I was doing (feared for my life) and the head shake was so bad I almost came off. I figured it was because I have the bad (cupped) Bridgestone on the front and the new Z6 on the back...I drove home (holding on to the bars all the way), put it in the garage and used the BMW until I got the call to have the front changed.

I didn't mention it at the time (like I said, I thought it was as a result of the mismatch and cupped front)...I left and at least on the ride home...no problem (hands off on the freeway at 70)

The Monday morning I noticed it again, at around 40 to 45, I experimented and could reproduce it accelerating or coasting between about 37 and 45, I procrastinated because the dealers is quite a way away...then it rained and the shake was even more severe...I called the dealers and left a Voicemail to schedule a time to bring it in (next Sat AM), then last night when I came out head home...the rear was completely flat

The bike will be at the dealers in the morning...I'm waiting to see if there is a puncture in the rear, or if there was something else wrong with it that caused all of this to start...in the meantime, if anyone has the magic cure...it would be good to know...I couldn't find it with the search utility :(
I got my 03 this past summer and I experienced the exact same problem. Know very little about its past history so I have been going through it slowly.

My front tire has about 4.5/32" of tread and it is cupped also.

I tried torqueing the head bearings, this did nothing. Tried adding another 20 # to them, nothing.

I then ordered all balls timpkin type bearings and installed them with the heavyist wheel bearing grease I could find and put her back together. (also rebalanced the tire) this was a great help, I then tightened up the head bearings approx. another 1/4 of a turn with a hammer and a flat punch. and I feel that this went from extremely dangerous to slightly scary. Cured about 60% of the problem and I hope a new tire will get the rest! Thanks, Bernie

I am not sure if this is the problem. I had found out that I have a rubber O-ring between my 2 steering stem nuts. This made it impossible to maintain the torque, and the steering had loosened up even after I had put in the ALL Balls tapered steering bearings. I removed it and haven't had it loosen since.

Well after reading this thread I looked at the parts fiche and it looks as though it should be a washer plate between the 2 nuts. Can someone verify this. Is it a solid washer plate, or a rubber O-ring?

I wonder if they sent a batch of these bikes out with the wrong parts?

fiche

#5 is where the O-ring was.

Bob

The link didn't go through as I planned. It is in the steering section, part # 5.
Bob
Bob,

According to my shop manuel for the 05 I use to have the washer between the two nuts is a rubber washer. I looked at your fiche and it did say washer plate. This information comes from the Yamaha Shop Manuel.

Randy