Fuel shortages?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I was thinking about riding around the north Ga/western NC mountains this weekend. But...stations around here are still running out of gas occasionally. Will I risk getting stranded in the mtns, where stations aren't as plentiful, Sat and Sun?

I am in Harrisburg (close to Charlotte) and am planning on heading up into West Virginia this weekend. Fuel here has been hit or miss, however, it can be found. Hopefully we will be able to find some in the mountains and more remote areas.

This weekend around here is going to be fantanstic riding weather. :yahoo:

There are several roads in West Virginia I have been wanting to do. Plan to camp in the Monongahela Saturday night. I plan to head out early in the morning.

I cant wait... :yahoo:

Don't come to Tallahassee.

These jackoffs thought the world was coming to an end and filled up everything that would hold gas. :glare:

I was thinking about riding around the north Ga/western NC mountains this weekend. But...stations around here are still running out of gas occasionally. Will I risk getting stranded in the mtns, where stations aren't as plentiful, Sat and Sun?
we were in tellico plains at the koa for a rally, and a harley dude came over, thought he was doing us a favor by letting us know that all the gas stations were running out of gas. i should have asked for his sources. of course, being from cincinnati and not being familiar with such things as this, i got a little panicky, as all of our riding was to be in the mountains. this fear was short-lived. the well-established gas stations had gas; and the ones you probably wouldn't have gone to, to begin with, did not. sure, some only had 87 octane, but that's what i put in the fj (and fjr, and cars) anyway. the only time it became an issue was when we were at suches, and the gas station around the corner didn't have gas; and when we were riding around near helen, and made the big mistake of going into town for that clusterf@ck to get gas. i felt like i was in gatlinburg, but i digress. no fuel issues at the crossroads of time, either ends of the cherohala skyway, or 99% of the other areas we rode in/around the aforementioned areas.

hth,

dean

AAA reported 85% of stations were out of gas in the Nashville Metro area on Friday. This morning they were reporting something like 70%.

Up here on the Cumberland Plateau we haven't seen out and out "no gas" signs, but the stations that sell real gasoline as opposed to gasohol are running out of plus and premium grades.

We've heard that Nashville, Tallahassee, and Atlanta have been similar, in that the hoarders have caused the problem. Every milk jug and screw on cap beer bottle has been filled and duly stored against the time when gas is gone. They said that last weekend 4 times the normal gas sales took place in Nashville, and that set the stage for the shortages. They said that during the week twice as much gas as normal had been sold. So while there are shortages, they seem to be self inflicted.

Yesterday I did several hundred miles on a different bike (not my FJR), and that bike wants premium fuel. I hate gasohol, so I rode until I could find real premium gasoline. When I filled it up, it took 4.887 gallons. I thought the tank held 6 gallons, but when I got home I checked the specs, and it holds 5.0. That's as close to running out I've been since they put gas gauges on bikes.

You can find gas in Blue Ridge, GA, Hiawassee, GA, Murphy, NC., Franklin, NC. Some stations may be out at times but you will be able to find one. Only spotty shortages at best. I'll keep you posted on this locale.

My car was running on fumes when I got back from EOM, I went to 8 stations before I found gas in Metro Atlanta/Marietta. I then sat in line for 45 minutes to buy gas for $4.19/gallon.

Man. Didn't realize it was that bad in spots. Wonder why it hasn't hit WV, or at least my area yet? I guess we don't have hoarders like the bigger cities do. So far things here have been easy to find gas and price is down to $3.84/gal. Y'know JWilly, you *could* move up this direction and 1) be closer to the good roads :D and 2) easily find cheaper gas! :p

Hording is part of the problem, but the main issue for the Metro Atlanta are is that we use a special blend that is unique to the region. That beldn pretty much ran out. State just lifted the EPA regs on that and we should start seeing fuel from other areas make it ways to Metro Atlanta over the weekend. Why they didn't do this before the whole area was bone dry is anyone's guess.

Main cause though, is that many of the refineries in Houston are still without power or not fully back on line. I know that Kennesaw is pretty much dry as is Acworth and now even Cartersville. I have enough fuel in my rides to get me through Monday, but if fuel doesn't arrive, I won't be making the trip to work on Tuesday.

I refuse to panic buy and load up gas cans. I left one of the cars at half a tank, the other is at 3/4. Wife and I did fill the bikes on Monday as they were both almost empty. Trying to not contribute to the porblem, but not being able to go to work will suck a bit.

It's been hit or miss around here. I normally drive a G-ride during the week and only run the mustang on weekends, and had parked it two weeks ago almost on empty. The little mileage computer said 10 Miles to Empty. Rode the bike over the next two weeks instead of taking the car anywhere. Rode Saturday, no problem finding gas; Sunday decided to go to the grocery store and fill up the mustang. First gas station- nothing. Next station about a mile further- nothing. Third station about 8 miles further- nothing. Next station was about 10 miles into town, which I did with the gauge on E and 0 Miles to Empty; coasting down hills and getting into 5th as quickly as possible. When I got there, only thing they had was premium, so I took it in the shorts.

Huh? :blink:

What gas shortage? I've only seen a few stations with bags over the handles up here.

Probably just the ones that are on bad terms with the wholesalers.

Is this a accurate picture of the Tennessee situation?https://www.bubbleply.com/player.aspx?pid=3...30-921542072a89
It would be easier to read the subtitles if you didn't understand the German. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, whoever wrote the subtitles knows the area as a native. Its hilarious, and all the references are right on the money!

Actually, I adjusted my seat to the H position this morning, and since I did the 4000 mile service the other day, I thought it would be good to see how I liked the new seat, and also how my gas mileage might have changed with the switch from BMW's 10W40 SG service dino oil (used at 600 mile service) to Yamalube 4 20W40 (the recommended oil).

So I headed east to have lunch in Green Hills at Nero's Grill. Great corn cakes and excellent elk tenderloin, and Nero was the guy whose farm became Green Hills. Johnny, Nero's younger son (I think Johnny is the younger if I remember right) is running the Grill with his wife. I highly recommend the restaurant. Service is at a high level, as are selection, preparation, and presentation.

In any event, the useful data from the trip are

- No gas lines anywhere along the way, including in Green Hills. Some stations are out of premium or plus grades, but I didn't see any stations closed, or backed up with long lines.

- The High position for the seat was better for the cajones and the knee bend, but not so hot for the lower back and the shoulder. I set it back to Low for the ride home.

-I filled up with Shell premium before I left. 188 miles later the fill up took 4.0 gallons, so the gas mileage is pretty similar to what I've been getting with the BMW oil. I think this is because the differences between the oils would be primarily at start up when the oils were cold. On this trip the SAE 40 part of the rating would have been dominating for either oil.

On Monday while going home from EOM, we ran past a station in Monterey, VA that only had regular. That is the only time during the entire meet that I witnessed "not much gas".

I hope that I am not speaking too soon, here.

Most stations in the Metro Atlanta and surrounding areas are still bone dry. The few that have gas only have 87oct. Fine for my bike but need the 93 for my car.

The only trouble I had back east was in Morganton, NC. I'd been playing on 181 and got the tank down to 1 bar showing before I even noticed all the pumps had covers on the handles. I finally stopped a LEO and got directions to an off the main road station that had some. WHEW! :good: