Fuse Blocks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Fuzeblock mounted at the tail under the rear seat. Switched power signal from tail light. New bike came with a Blue Sea fuse block also under the rear seat, but holy crap is it big! It'll be replaced with the 'Fuzeblock". It makes for a very clean install without much space required. In the highly unlikely event that I ever need to replace the relay, the whole block can be swapped out in minutes.

I'm bumping this thread because I'm going to install a 6ish circuit fuse block of some kind. My question is:

Has anyone mounted one of these somewhere OTHER THAN under one of the seats, and if so, do you have any pictures of your install? Likes? Dislikes?

I use the under seat area for a lot of other stuff that comes with me on every ride, so space is currently at a premium.
my '04 Gen 1 allows what I did...mount a Fuzeblock in the really small, just enough room, cubby hole behind the vertical part of the right front black panel near the battery. It's between the front frame and the windshield adjustment hardware. I've never thought of taking a pic with the panel off, but I will next time it's off. It's a tight fit, but does fit and has been there many years with no issues.

Another option that is available is the FarkleBar https://www.farklebar.com/
Dude, that thing is just plain FUGLY. But I guess if it works........

Am looking forward to seeing mounting photos on your FJR..........

I should have known...

You start riding a Gen 2 POS...

and now its form over function (?)

... Next thing you will find yourself doing is CLEANING your bike... every day instead of riding it.

Riding ONLY on sunny weekends and advertising "Never ridden in the rain"

BTW I noticed you don't hang out in the "Long Distance/Iron Butt" sub forum any more.

WOW ! Has my hero changed his colors :huh: :cray:

Looks like I will be flipping 150k by myself :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all of your replies - this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Really cut down on the runs of wire to the back of the bike and back to the front
This is a big concern for me - I'd love to see any pictures of this if you can find them. However, I know having easy access to the fuse block will be a plus for dealing with problems on the road.

Patriot - I know there is a lot of room under Panel D - that is a good idea too.

I plan to use Liquid Electical tape and/or heat shrink tubing on high quality connectors, spray the block with silicone spray, etc. Do it once - do it right.

Another question - and I'm not much of an electical Guru - how does the Fuze Block's connect to the FJR's wiring harness to make the switched ciruits work?

I have a picture of it all wired up, but can't find it at the moment. Anyway, I have a homemade barrier strip mounted, with velcro, to the rear surface of the glovebox. 12 gauge wires come from the battery (hot has inline fuse near battery), passing along frame support behind dash, and over to the barrier strip. Hot wire hits a relay before getting to the strip so it's switched; the relay is mounted on the front face of the glovebox and takes a signal from the glovebox power. Barrier strip is split in half so that one half is hot while the other is neg. I power my grips, GPS, and fork lights (when I had them). This installation works great, but at some point, I need to more permanently mount the strip as the velcro's adhesive has a tough time dealing with the ambient temperature in that area (radiator heat). That said, I've had zero problems from the strip since installing it two years ago.

barrier-strip-fjr.jpg

This FJRTech.net article served as a great guideline: https://www.fjrtech.net/getdbitem.cfm?item=25

I run heated gear, but don't need the barrier strip for that as it's just a simple hot fused lead from the battery, under the tank, and up by the seat (WnS Portable Remote Heat-Troller).

Thanks for all of your replies - this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Really cut down on the runs of wire to the back of the bike and back to the front
This is a big concern for me - I'd love to see any pictures of this if you can find them. However, I know having easy access to the fuse block will be a plus for dealing with problems on the road.

Patriot - I know there is a lot of room under Panel D - that is a good idea too.

I plan to use Liquid Electical tape and/or heat shrink tubing on high quality connectors, spray the block with silicone spray, etc. Do it once - do it right.

Another question - and I'm not much of an electical Guru - how does the Fuze Block's connect to the FJR's wiring harness to make the switched ciruits work?
The units are wired directly to the battery of course but through a relay. There is what is called a "tap" wire that powers the relay from a switched source (power when key is on). With the Fuze Block, you can select the circuit to be switched or un-switched by placing the fuse accordingly. The EB unit has 6 switched and 2 un-switched circuits dedicated. Thus you have the switched circuits hot only when the key is on but the un-switched ones hot all the time for battery tenders, aux. plugs, etc.

I will dig for them this weekend. Worst case, I will post a link to the fuse block I used. It was a strip style, like the barrier strips everyone uses but it had fuses for each circuit.

I am dismantling my wrecked '09 right now, and I believe i am going to use one of the OEM fuse blocks from that bike to make a glovebox mounted fuseblock / power distribution point in the new bike. It's compact, uses the same type of fuses as the rest of the bike. I might put one up front and one in the tail.

I'm bumping this thread because I'm going to install a 6ish circuit fuse block of some kind. My question is:

Has anyone mounted one of these somewhere OTHER THAN under one of the seats, and if so, do you have any pictures of your install? Likes? Dislikes?

I use the under seat area for a lot of other stuff that comes with me on every ride, so space is currently at a premium.
my '04 Gen 1 allows what I did...mount a Fuzeblock in the really small, just enough room, cubby hole behind the vertical part of the right front black panel near the battery. It's between the front frame and the windshield adjustment hardware. I've never thought of taking a pic with the panel off, but I will next time it's off. It's a tight fit, but does fit and has been there many years with no issues.
Mike,

Did you mount your Fuzeblock behind the "C" or "D" panel? I've got multiple relays stuffed in the area behind the "C" panel for my Solteks, but if you've found a location forward of the battery where the Fuzeblock fits, I'd be interested in seeing a picture of that install.

[

I REALLY wanted to get my Fuzeblock in the front fairing on my new POS Gen II like I have them on my Gen Is, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM up front for one. :angry:

Greg,

Any pics of your install? Winter is fast approaching and I'll be tearing into my Gen I soon.

Gracias'

Extreme - that is slick as snot!!! Do you have a link to your fuse block? The input wire looks a tad smallish - is that 12 ga?

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the $85.00 Fuzeblock - I like it because it has a cover, some circuits can be switched, it has a ground strip built under the cover, and it's fairly small in size (compared to what they have at West Marine - what a monstrocity). But maybe I'll wait a tad longer.

It was this one at Del City. Specs say 8 GA feed wire. Will handle 65 watts. amps.

The draw back with this set up is it takes some fabrication. You need to have a barrier strip for the ground side, you need to set up a relay off the battery. It is not a plug and play deal, but it was the best option I could come up with to meet my needs at the time. I am planning something similar for the '09 I'm bringing home soon.

Extreme - that is slick as snot!!! Do you have a link to your fuse block? The input wire looks a tad smallish - is that 12 ga?

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the $85.00 Fuzeblock - I like it because it has a cover, some circuits can be switched, it has a ground strip built under the cover, and it's fairly small in size (compared to what they have at West Marine - what a monstrocity). But maybe I'll wait a tad longer.

Looks like the Rowe Electronics PDM60 is also a viable option. Not very pleased with the mounting options of most of these devices, just my opinion.

https://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules
I brought that up a few months back. It didn't get a lot of attention. Clicky. Looks like it could be an interesting option.

I just installed a Fuzeblock under the seat in the main tray. Not my ideal location. :(

NICE job Wayne on that glovebox barrier strip.

I have a blue sea in my tool tray. It has been trouble free. I just ordered a PC-8 for the gs with the harness from eastern beaver. Hopefully that will be trouble free too.

Another option that is available is the FarkleBar https://www.farklebar.com/
Dude, that thing is just plain FUGLY. But I guess if it works........

Am looking forward to seeing mounting photos on your FJR..........

I REALLY wanted to get my Fuzeblock in the front fairing on my new POS Gen II like I have them on my Gen Is, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM up front for one. :angry:

I don't want to put it under the seat. Fortunately Fairlaner turned me on to another location where I plan on putting mine. Dual lock velcro'd to the right side of the airbox behind the ABS lines:

IMG_8861.jpg
Why would you want to hide it there? If it in the tool tray or the tail you can get to it easier when you have to troubleshoot.

Looks like the Rowe Electronics PDM60 is also a viable option. Not very pleased with the mounting options of most of these devices, just my opinion.

https://www.rowe-electronics.com/modules
I brought that up a few months back. It didn't get a lot of attention. Clicky. Looks like it could be an interesting option.

I just installed a Fuzeblock under the seat in the main tray. Not my ideal location. :(

NICE job Wayne on that glovebox barrier strip.
What are you doing with the PDM60? Have you installed it? I'd sure like more info if you have any.

Cheers,

Bruce

Why would you want to hide it there? If it in the tool tray or the tail you can get to it easier when you have to troubleshoot.
On my first FJR, do you know how many times in 226,000 miles I had to 'troubleshoot'? You could count them on one of your fat-fingered hands. :p

In the end, since the side there is not very accessible I went with the main tool tray location which I am not real happy about.

What are you doing with the PDM60? Have you installed it? I'd sure like more info if you have any.

Cheers,

Bruce
Bruce, though I think it is 'interesting' I don't actually have a PDM60. I installed the fairly popular Fuzeblock.