FZ-1 for sport touring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfletch69

Reaction score
I have 2 teenage sons and would like to introduce them to touring. I am thinking that an FZ1 with Givi bags would work and I like that they are only 450 lbs. Has anyone here ridden long distances on one with luggage? Does the chain drive cause excessive vibration? Thanks

I have 2 teenage sons and would like to introduce them to touring. I am thinking that an FZ1 with Givi bags would work and I like that they are only 450 lbs. Has anyone here ridden long distances on one with luggage? Does the chain drive cause excessive vibration? Thanks
I have and I absolutely loved it. I had no issues with vibration from the chain drive... smooth as silk, fabulous in the twisties, git up and go on the freeway... f'ing brilliant! B)

I have and I absolutely loved it. I had no issues with vibration from the chain drive... smooth as silk, fabulous in the twisties, git up and go on the freeway... f'ing brilliant! B)
mfletch,

Dittos like above. Super machine...just a little tight if your got more than 1 person. I had an '05 FZ1 as a backup bike while the Big ST was in the shop and it was a blast.

Only got rid of it since it was too much like the FJR and got the Big Mama ADV Bike.

Solid Platform and great engineering just like the FJR but with a Chain.

This is me back in 2009. My dad and I went 4,300 miles in 8 days. Worked out great for me. Less then a year later I went and bought a FJR. The 2005 FZ1 was a great bike. I didnt have Givi bags on but I used the Cortech Tri-bag system and they worked really good. If you have vibration with a chain something is wrong. With good chain maintance a chain will be smooth and will last a long time.

RockyMountains.jpg

I think an FZ1 would make an excellent sport tourer. But don't expect one to weight 450 lbs. I know Yamaha says 487 "wet" but others with actual scales say more - like over 500 lbs.

Whatever it weighs, it is a lot less than my FJR and should be easier to handle for a 150lb kid. Plus he'd be able to keep up on the highway. I cannot think of another bike that would be better suited. Maybe a Triumph ST...but I like the Yamaha and I don't need another full time sport tour.

Thanks for the input!

Right now the Geni's 2001-2005 (my favorite Series), are going for about $2-5k and have a 5.6 Gallon Tank/Strong tubular Frame/Relaxed Touring position. The FZ1 is rated Top 36 of 100 bikes of All time by Motorcycle Magazine.

At the wheel they put out about 130 HP and can get up to 150 HP range modified...can be a kitty cat or a lion pending on your situation and mood!

Last edited by a moderator:
I toured quite comfortably and sucessfully with my FZ6. Bar risers, vest plugin and hard luggage and 8-12hr days were never a problem.

It'll be buzzier than a shaft, for sure, but not to the point it is a problem. This is her....givi plx cases and kappa top box:

LS.jpg

bags.jpg

Humm.... how well can your teenage son's ride? Both the FZ6 and FZ1 can tour just fine with proper chain care. I had a 6 and now a 1. The power difference is a lot, the 1 IS fast but also is a much better bike-brakes, handling etc. but can be a bit more thirsty. 28-40 mpg whereas the 6 is usually above 43.

If you are riding it then go with the 1, if your not sure about them handling the power go with the FZ6 to start- it is a lot of fun above 7k rpm!

I had a 2003 FZ1. In 2005, I rode it solo and bone stock from KC to the East Cost on US 50 and back. It was my first long distance ride. The bike is super fast, stable and loads of fun. For LD riding, you will want to consider a taller shield. The FZ1 was the bike that got me hooked; I then got into my current FJR. No extraordinary chain issues. It's a great choice for a first long distance mount for your boys.

Pre FJR days, Deb and I did all of our touring, 2-up, on Suzuki's version of the FZ1, the Bandit 1200 S. We had a blast. Used soft sided bags and a T-roll system at back. Did around 55,000 miles in the 4 years we had it with absolutely no chain issues.

I have a FZ1 and it is the reason I got into sport touring. The last two years I did 3500 kms + over 7 days and loved it. I have SW Motech side racks and a home made top rack. I only have 2 givi bags which I use on the long trips and I use only 1 positioned on the top rack for day trips. The 2 givis on long trips don't really effect the handling at all. I upgraded the springs and re-jetted it. Best two upgrades you can do to a Gen I. The Gen I is generally considered more comfortable then the Gen II so it is great for a sport tourer. I also installed some cheapy clamp on highway pegs. That helped alot for comfort.

But I want longer trips now so I bought a new FJR for this year.

I'd think it would be alot of bike for a teenager myself. You can tour on just about anything really. I'd lean towards a 650 vstrom or fz6 myself. Cheap easy on gas and still plenty fun. (I started on the vstrom at 21 and just picked up a fjr to complement it at 25). Just a thought.

Forgot to mention that 600 mile days in a row are very easy on the vstrom and 450 mile day on the fz6 seem easy. I did thousand mile weekends pretty much every weekend when i started riding on the strom. Plus in the hands of a skilled rider it still keeps up in the tight twisties. And it's still got plenty of power for 85 mph highway cruising with luggage and 2 up. Plus both have tons of farkle and luggage options available.

Forgot to mention that 600 mile days in a row are very easy on the vstrom and 450 mile day on the fz6 seem easy. I did thousand mile weekends pretty much every weekend when i started riding on the strom. Plus in the hands of a skilled rider it still keeps up in the tight twisties. And it's still got plenty of power for 85 mph highway cruising with luggage and 2 up. Plus both have tons of farkle and luggage options available.
Consider this an option for the Automatic Speed limiter...if you feel you need it.

For soft-bag touring when weight is a consideration, I'd go with an older 600 sport bike. These are way more comfortable than you'd think (unless you're stuck in the mindset that "comfort" == "perfectly upright"). They're all ridiculously fast, cheaper than dirt (except of course the Honda), and you can do track days when you're not touring.

471-14A.jpg

2000-Yamaha-YZF-600Ra.jpg

2006zzr600silver.jpg

20637_0_1_2_zzr%20600_Image%20credits%20-%20Kawasaki.jpg

I almost forgot the most-bestest supersport-touring bike... The SuperChicken! :D

233356_%5Bmp%5D%20%5Bcloud%20meme%5D%20My%20cloud%2C%20let%20me%20show%20you%20it.JPG

That's geared up for a Gap trip from Florida, 9 days leaving darkies out of corners in the mountains and ~400 miles each way. The 100-mile range sucks but honestly I'm usually ready to stretch my legs around then anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: