G2 install problems on a AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Designer

Reaction score
It just warmed up in Chicago and I had about 3 hours to spare so I figured that I'd install my G2, change the oil and do a load of laundry. I did the research on the G2 install, took a picture of the original grip placement with antique phone camera and started the install. Installed the G2 and put the grip back on only to find out that I had the grip in the wrong position so I fought again to remove the grip and reinstalled it where I thought it should be (different than original pic) assembled and discovered a binding problem (very dangerous on a AE). Three hours latter job not done I decided to just try it out without a grip, love the cam action but hate ridding without a grip.

Would anyone be willing to post a pic of the G2 grip placement on a AE for me. Did a search but couldn't find one posted

Same thing I did, fatal error was not to mark the exact position of ALL the components when I first took it apart. Had to take the grip off a couple of times before I got the cable and everything lined up right :angry2: . Just keep with it, you get pretty good at removing the grip. I ended up not having to put any hair spray on it to keep it tight, probably still has some WD-40 in it from when I took it off. Ridges on the G2 seem to prevent slippage

I've got an AE and in the NW burbs myself. I had a booger of a time installing the G2. I made the mistake of marking the part with pencil...

The lube washed it off. It took me a while to get it back right.

We'll I got it to a point where I can ride it with the grip on. Figured out why I was having such problems, I accidentally pulled the wire base out of the actual element/grip and now there is a bit of extra curl that get bound up. If I feel that it's unsafe the wire cutters are coming out :glare:

What you can do is use your OEM throttle tube, you can trace the G2 cam on paper cut and trace on the stock tube and use a Dremell to cut to the cam shape you traced.

I'm a plane mechanic, and when I took mine apart I said to myself I better take a picture of this before I get it all apart. It still took me over an hour to get it back together correctly. It was a while ago but I think I had to twist the grip to pull the wires tight in the housing before the glue set.

I have a regular 2006 A and put my G2 on without making anything and have a Throttlemeister. I don't have binding, but the TM does not hold the throttle. Anyone out there have an A with a TM that had success with the G2? Thanks.