? Gap for NGK iridium ix spark plug (2006)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YamaDude

Reaction score
I'm about install some NGK Iridium CR8EIX plugs in my '06. The manufacturer indicates that we should not trust the factory set gap, so I've gone on a search for the appropriate gap, able only to find one at Dennis Kirk, which is .031" or 0.8mm. Anyone able to confirm this for sure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Owners manual sez: 0.028" to 0.031".

If you check the plug gap be very, very careful, it's really easy to damage iridium plugs. If you must gap a plug, use the kind of gapper that only touches the side electrode, not the center electrode.

I've used those many times and never changed their gap. I've even heard that it is better to avoid it.

Either way, no issues in many miles. I'd leave them.

I have used Iridium plugs and never even thought about checking the gap. Screw them in and ride.

If you buy the P/N spark plug specified for the FJR it should come with the exact gap called for in the owners manual and FSM, no adjustment needed.

Iridiums come pre-gapped, you shouldn't change it. The 9 on the end means 0.036" per the handy dandy NGK chart on my shop wall.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I did not want to use the Owner's Manual setting for the Iridium unless there is an authoritative source saying that it applies to both the stock and Iridium plugs.

Well, I just heard back from NGK Technical. Although their generalized installation instructions for NGK plugs says to check the gap on all new plugs, for my specific question the response was this:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Yamaha requires .031” gap, and CR8EIX comes out of the box pre-gapped at .032”. You can install them without re-gapping them."

Its good to know that NGK has confidence in their factory gapping.

Plug gap is plug gap regardless of plug type. Spark plugs are manufactured to tight tolerances by highly repeatable automated equipment, holding plug gap tolerance should be easy. I'm sure that the factory checks to see that the plugs are coming off the line with the gap within tolerance along with a lot of other checks.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Per NGK, check / adjust them:...
Noting that NGK recommends specific tools and specific methods to do the check and adjustments. The spark plugs should come with a tube around the base so that the side electrode shouldn't get banged during shipment and shelf handling.

When I installed iridium's in my FZ, 3 were exact, one was off .001", not enough to screw with BUT with shipping(banging about) different applications, they should be checked before installation.
Per NGK, check / adjust them:

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/videos/setting-and-checking-the-gap-when-installing-a-new-set-of-plugs
Yup, this is the rational that NGK has presented in other formats for checking the gap of their new plugs. Although their machining may be very precise, handling introduces another variable. Humans (!) might even play a part in handling, and we all know what humans are capable of....

...Per NGK, check / adjust them:...
Noting that NGK recommends specific tools and specific methods to do the check and adjustments. The spark plugs should come with a tube around the base so that the side electrode shouldn't get banged during shipment and shelf handling.
Absolutely correct however one of mine was off (slightly, but it was) and it had the tube around the base,.

For as often as your going to change out iridium's, (not often), to check them is easy as is to adjust.

In real life, a part guy may hand it to a customer to look at, accidentally drops it, (gap is now altered), back in the box and tube... But you won't know unless you check it..

IE, New tires, yep, they feel good and hard, the shop should have them aired up correctly, correct, no reason to double check? Nope, their getting checked...

I once got some 10w40 oil that tested out to be 10w41. I was quite taken aback and wrote a strongly worded letter to the manufacturer.

Bastards all!

OK, I admit that this mildly interesting topic has gotten rather stretched out, but I'm curious as to who is responsible for getting it re-branded into the "Never-ending, Pointless........threads" ??

OK, I admit that this mildly interesting topic has gotten rather stretched out, but I'm curious as to who is responsible for getting it re-branded into the "Never-ending, Pointless........threads" ??
Somewhere between (and including) gas ratio and oil references.
sadsmiley.gif