Garage Security..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollingsBob

CFR2022 Rally Chair, Certified JB Welder
Reaction score
In my search to improve garage security I have found this product;

https://www.surelock4homes.com

If you are interested, contact this person, mention my name ( no, I dont get a kickback!, Im trying to get them to supply Lowes or Home Depot in Canada)

Peter Butcher

Director of Operations

Automated Security Technologies, Inc.

o: 800-843-5625 ex.704

I use two highly visible Doberman dogs inside a fenced yard, so no need. It helps that I don't have any red bikes worth stealing, and the guy down the road has a man cave three times the size of my house.

I would love to have a garage even half that size!! But wouldn't use any Door Opener, I am old school. Trusting my body to open/close the door, and lock it securely my own way. Posting to help open up the post to be edited.

I'd like to see a video showing someone actually opening the door in 6 seconds that doesn't have windows in the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most doors are thin gauge aluminium or steel. Grabbing a door under the bottom and lifting with a significant force will often break the "trolley". I have had to get in to a house 2 times in different emergency situations. Both times it took me less than 3 seconds to yank up the door. Granted it broke the trolley once, and folded the "arm" that hold the door to the track the other time.

I think this device is some small insurance to prevent this.

But then again, unless the door is heavily insulated and reinforced, its just thin gauge metal. It would be noisy to break in, but if all your neighbors are gone, sound really does not matter.

Cool device!

My plan is to mount it to a piece of metal - a kickplate from a commercial door should provide a large enough surface to spread the load out on the garage door. Serious thieves are not going to be deterred, its only the smash & grab idiots or joy riding kids that this will slow down. I think that by the time they jiggle the door enough to get it open the alarm will have been triggered by the commotion..

I just built a large shop and my garage door opener came with a automatic deadbolt. I don't know how common such break-ins are, but it came with the great deal I got on the door install from Costco so I'm not complaining. https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/garage-door-openers/elite-series/model-8500w

It also has battery backup so that I can still open the door when power goes out. And it's wifi connected so I can open and close the door from my smart phone anywhere I have internet data and I get notified whenever it moves so I'll know the wife is going out to the freezer to get some steaks for dinner. YUM :) . And to guard against forgetful wife leaving the door open all night, you can program automatic close times (in my case if the door is open at 10pm, it will automatically close). I love technology. ;)

Most doors are thin gauge aluminium or steel. Grabbing a door under the bottom and lifting with a significant force will often break the "trolley". I have had to get in to a house 2 times in different emergency situations. Both times it took me less than 3 seconds to yank up the door. Granted it broke the trolley once, and folded the "arm" that hold the door to the track the other time.

Good point. I took a length of solid "flat" bar high speed steel ro replace the flimsy OEM locking bar that came with my garage door. I cut it to length with a grinder, and burned up 3 drill bits drilling the proper holes (resharpening the bits as I went). I've moved that from house to house since I first did it in the mid 1980s.

No one's bending that. The support hardware for the doors would fail first.

[Yes they were cheep bits and I didn't have a drill press]

I just built a large shop and my garage door opener came with a automatic deadbolt. I don't know how common such break-ins are, but it came with the great deal I got on the door install from Costco so I'm not complaining. https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/garage-door-openers/elite-series/model-8500w
It also has battery backup so that I can still open the door when power goes out. And it's wifi connected so I can open and close the door from my smart phone anywhere I have internet data and I get notified whenever it moves so I'll know the wife is going out to the freezer to get some steaks for dinner. YUM
smile.png
. And to guard against forgetful wife leaving the door open all night, you can program automatic close times (in my case if the door is open at 10pm, it will automatically close). I love technology.
wink.png
And has WiFi. How's your ComSec?

My garage is a separate building from the house. If they broke into it they are welcome to all the boxes of junk inside. ;)

Man, a $.01 zip-tie works wonders. Prevents a hanger or hook that is flexible enough to reach that mechanism from pulling it open. If a person locks their fingers around the handle, the tie breaks with ease.

I love how they decry the zip-tie method as "not recommended by UL" and "unsafe." Lol...

Man, a $.01 zip the works wonders. Prevents a hanger or hook that is flexible enough to reach that mechanism from pulling it open. If a person locks their fingers around the handle, the tie breaks with ease.I love how they decry the zip tie method as "not recommended by UL" and "unsafe." Lol...
Unsafe for people who have attached garages and might use the garage door as an emergency exit