Garage Security..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, a $.01 zip the works wonders. Prevents a hanger or hook that is flexible enough to reach that mechanism from pulling it open. If a person locks their fingers around the handle, the tie breaks with ease.

I love how they decry the zip tie method as "not recommended by UL" and "unsafe." Lol...
Unsafe for people who have attached garages and might use the garage door as an emergency exit
Oh, I get that, but anyone tall enough to reach the handle should be strong enough to break the zip-tie. If someone has that limitation, then, they'll need a different solution, but at my house, in my attached garage, the zip-tie works just fine.

Forget the emergency aspect about it. My blonde wife can't figure the garage door release mechanism on its own. If you added a Zip Tie to it, she would be like the princess in the tower.

One time she went home for lunch, put the car in the garage, power went out, opener rendered useless. She called me to talk her through the exit strategy.

She was in the garage for 10 minutes. I love that woman. Zip ties are not for garage door trolleys. Those are for hand cuffs.........................right Zilla?

I just built a large shop and my garage door opener came with a automatic deadbolt. I don't know how common such break-ins are, but it came with the great deal I got on the door install from Costco so I'm not complaining. https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/garage-door-openers/elite-series/model-8500w
It also has battery backup so that I can still open the door when power goes out. And it's wifi connected so I can open and close the door from my smart phone anywhere I have internet data and I get notified whenever it moves so I'll know the wife is going out to the freezer to get some steaks for dinner. YUM
smile.png
. And to guard against forgetful wife leaving the door open all night, you can program automatic close times (in my case if the door is open at 10pm, it will automatically close). I love technology.
wink.png
And has WiFi. How's your ComSec?
If hackers can get into Equifax, they surely will get into my garage door opener. :) But my wifi is password secured and you'd have to drive onto my property to try and access it, which will result in someone walking out the house while armed to investigate (I work days, the kid works swings and the wife is retired so good chances someone will be home).

Forget the emergency aspect about it. My blonde wife can't figure the garage door release mechanism on its own. If you added a Zip Tie to it, she would be like the princess in the tower.

One time she went home for lunch, put the car in the garage, power went out, opener rendered useless. She called me to talk her through the exit strategy.

She was in the garage for 10 minutes. I love that woman. Zip ties are not for garage door trolleys. Those are for hand cuffs.........................right Zilla?
Like the old joke about the blonde locking her keys in the car and calling 911? (Operator helped her use the unlock button so she could get out.)

So instead of a zip-tie how 'bout an old-fashion twist-tie? Comes apart easier. And use a straight rope without any loop or handle. Anything else we can help solve?
tonguesmiley.gif

I guess the degree of concern and therefore the amount of effort we are individually prepared to exert to prevent a break-in is related to the value of the contents of our respective garages..

FJR’s are relatively easily replaceable after all.