Garauld's/Gary's 2006 FJR Rack & Backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallara

Reaction score
Hey, Folks...

I am a bit tardy in posting this, but I got hung up having some friggin' surgery done, damn it!

But one of the nicest things I found waiting when I got home was one of Gary's racks and backrests in 2006 Cobalt Blue. I had ordered one a couple of months ago and it made a nice welcome home present to myself!

Because of the required recovery time I have not gotten to ride with the rack/backrest set-up yet, but here are a few notes about my initial impressions of Gary's work...

WOW!

I mean it. Wow!

Gary's workmanship, fit, and finish are absolutely outstanding. Beautiful welds, flawless design, close tolerances yet perfect fit, spot-on paint matching (I got mine painted Cobalt Blue to match my '06), and truly first-class hardware. I simply couldn't be happier.

To be a bit more detailed... I have been fortunate enough to work around some of the very best race car fabricators in the world, and Gary's skill with tubing and a welder are second to none I have ever seen. It is one thing to make something tightly toleranced, while quite another to make sure that same piece lines up and bolts on without any alignment issues. Maybe I just got lucky, but Gery's rack fit my 2006 so perfectly that one would have sworn it was custom laid-out and produced on my bike. All three rack mounting holes lined up PERFECTLY! Not just close... Not needing a bit of pressure or tweaking... Nothing. Just perfect, flawless alignment, period. Add to this the fact that the rack is square and level, too. That may not sound like much, but how many times have you bolted on an aftermarket piece and have it looked tweaked right out of the box???

Not with Gary's rack/backrest, I assure you.

As Gary has pointed out, this rack far exceeds the capabilities of the lousy stock '06 rack... If for no other reason than you can actually carry something on it and tie it down. As I have been hobbling around my garage I have experimented with tying down all my various seat, rack, and duffle bags to Gary's rack and I am 110% positive it will perform its duties flawlessly. This is a product of good, sound, careful, and well reasoned design. After having it mounted I can say I wouldn't want to change a thing. I may buy a second one from him without the backrest mount... That's how highly I think of the design. And I honestly think the appearance of Gary's rack fits in perfectly with the styling of the Yamaha, and doesn't detract one bit. Mine will probably be a permanent resident on the back of my '06'

Another amazing thing is the literally perfect paint match to the 2006 Yamaha Cobalt Blue. Currently I own and operate a new car dealership, complete with full-service bodyshop... And I have been in and around the car and motorcycle business all my life. I know just how hard it is to get a paint match when you have the vehicle right there in front of you, and cannot imagine how difficult it has to be to get good paint matches when your customer's vehicle is clean across the country... Yet Gary did it, well... Perfectly. That's the only way to describe it - Perfectly.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea... I love my rack and backrest set-up I got from Gary, and I simply cannot recommend his work highly enough. I should also mention that despite his being overwhelmed with orders, and that causing a bit of a delay in final delivery, Gary never failed to keep my informed, nor to answer any inquiries I had about my order's progress. He was always cordial and courteous, and when he did ship the rack/backrest combo it was well packed, safely and securely, to make it's trip across the country to me.

If you are looking for a backrest and rack combo, or just one or the other, again I simply cannot recommend Gary's products highly enough. When you buy from Gary you get something that looks like it was hand-fabricated and custom-built just for your bike - probably because that's exactly what his products are - custom-built and hand-made just for you. Nothing you bolt to your FJR will draw more attention or get more admiring stares... At least that's what has happened as many of my riding buddies have dropped by during my recovery. They all look at Gary's rack/backrest and start asking questions about it, and many simply cannot believe it was built by a guy clean across the country. Most all think I had it custom-built locally and painted in our own bodyshop.

Now that's a compliment.

Gary, my sincerest THANKS for producing such a high quality product. I can't wait to see what else you build, just so I can buy it. For you other FJR Pilots... If you are on the fence about whether to try some of Gary's work, don't wait any longer. You'll only be sorry if you don't buy Gary's stuff. His work is that good.

Just FYI, and my two cents...

Thanks again, Gary!

Dallara

ttiwwop.gif

Will add pics soon enough, Skyway...

But unfortunately I am recovering from having my right hip joint replaced, and for the moment I can't roll the bike outside where I can get decide pictures. As soon as my hip is more functional and I am fully back online I will run up some fotos for ya'!

Thanks!

Dallara

Last edited by a moderator:
I've crowed about the quality of Gary's productions so much in the past that I'm afraid, if I say anything more, people will think I'm on his payroll.

+1+infinitum! Gary's rack is beautiful, constantly draws admiration and my wife is really relaxed with the added backrest. The Cobalt Blue is a perfect match. It was a pleasure to do business with him. Also had him add a lower tab at the back of the rack to mount a 6" LED strip. Sent the strip to him and what a perfectly custom fit!

If someone will post the pics; send me a PM and I'll send you some pics to post.

I can't say anything to add to Dallara's comments ,only to agree-Mine

came in black powder coat.The wife loves the backrest . Sliick2

+1001

Can't wait to get mine. I procrastinated on one for my '04 and all you darn new '06 owners got in line ahead of me.

Steve

Can't wait to get mine. I procrastinated on one for my '04 and all you darn new '06 owners got in line ahead of me.Steve
Got mine about 10 days ago. Looks schweet! Haven't had time to mount it yet, but hopefully will get to it in the next few days. Then will provide some photos.

First I really, really, need to wash my FJR. It's got about 10,000 miles and 60 days since the last time I washed it. It's dirty!

+1...... many, many times!

I just received Gary's rack for my '06... absolutely beautiful! :yahoo:

Mucho kudos...

Stu

+1...... many, many times!
I just received Gary's rack for my '06... absolutely beautiful! :yahoo:

Mucho kudos...

Stu
+1 Me too.

Mine just arrived. This is a beautiful piece of work. Outstanding quality and a simple yet elegant design. If you're on the fence about getting one then hop off. You'll be glad you did.

Thanks, Gary!

FjrVfr

+1, what Dallara said, When I ordered Garys rack I planned on only having it on the bike for those occasions when I really had to pack it down and travel. Once the rack arrived and I got it on the bike, checked out the fit and finnish, saw how well it looked. I just left it on. The rack looks like it belongs there on the bike.

Ok two questions1. How much?

2. How to order?
What he said. I would like one for my 2007 A model. How much for one configured complete with back rest, exactly like GAPS? Has anyone used this setup to attach T-Bag luggage from their cruisers?