Garmin 765T successfully paired with Cardo G4

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
I have found a work around to the Garmin 765T pairing with the Cardo Scala G4.

I bought a Nolan Tx Plus from Amazon for $40. It plugs into the 3.5mm jack on the 765T and pairs with the Cardo with the Headset Profile. I haven't ridden with it yet, but I have listened to it in my helmet.

Best of all it fits into my wide Aqua Box perfectly.

URL to the unit: https://www.amazon.com/Nolan-Bluetooth-Wireless-Transmitter-Portable/dp/B008TJVY68

I have found a work around to the Garmin 765T pairing with the Cardo Scala G4.
I bought a Nolan Tx Plus from Amazon for $40. It plugs into the 3.5mm jack on the 765T and pairs with the Cardo with the Headset Profile. I haven't ridden with it yet, but I have listened to it in my helmet.

Best of all it fits into my wide Aqua Box perfectly.

URL to the unit: https://www.amazon.com/Nolan-Bluetooth-Wireless-Transmitter-Portable/dp/B008TJVY68
Do you know what the output 3.5mm is originally for? Earbuds or data? This gives an idea for a mod I could do to my Tom Tom

and tie in one of those blutooth transmitters.

The 3.5 mm port on the 765T is an audio port. There is also a microphone port which is kinda unusual for an automobile GPS.

Yes, the 3.5 is an audio port. There is a microphone built in, but no separate port. The microphone is because the 765T has Bluetooth connectivity to your phone. Not sure if that connectivity goes out the 3.5. If that works the 765T could now do hands free phone to your Cardo.

The long and short of the Cardo is that it will only work with the Headset Profile (HSP), that is what the Tx Plus sends out.

You can get a 765T off of Craigs List for about $100, the Tx Plus is $40, Aqua Box another $50. So for under $200 you have all the key functionality of a $700 Zumo.

There is a separate microphone port in the mounting cradle of the 765T in addition to the built-in microphone. It can be used with wired headsets such as Autocom to do full duplex audio and voice with a phone connected to the GPS using Bluetooth. The mic port works the same as the ones on Zumo and Streetpilot motorcycle units. While it's not particularly relevant to bluetooth connection, it's there. Just sayin'

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom; Yea I'm not using the cradle in the Aqua Box. Although on that note I will mention that I am using the Powerlet PPC-024 ($14), so the Garmin thinks it is on the cradle for power and not plugged into a computer.

Have you tested the the mic port for full duplex? Garmin's pages only say's it's an external mic port, not full duplex.

I have used it with a separate mic and audio wire for phone use via the GPS. I'm not using the Nuvi at this time, but it did work. I originally tried using the Nuvi with a Midland BT2, and as mentioned at the beginning of this thread, needed the BT transmitter to make it talk to the headset. I imagine the same approach would work with Uclear, Midland, Sena, Cardo and others.

I think the biggest problem with using that kind of Bluetooth dongle is that it will be outgoing audio only. There is no audio input (microphone) so you wouldn't be able to route phone through the 765T. The bluetooth built in to the 765T should be able to pair with headsets to allow full functionality, but for some reason it doesn't play well with many of them. Too bad.

It doesn't play with Cardo because Cardo will only work with the Headset Profile. The mic jack was only meant for a separate mic to string in your car, my guess it's only an input.

The purpose of this setup, with just the audio, is that I don't want to buy a $700 unit when I only need GPS on the bike occasionally. The Cardo already takes care of my phone and I'd rather rout it that way anyways.

The original software with the G4 actually did work with the 765T (at least according to posts on the internet I've found). Cardo changed,or took out the A2DP profile, to only the HSP with an "upgrade" to the unit.

It doesn't play with Cardo because Cardo will only work with the Headset Profile. The mic jack was only meant for a separate mic to string in your car, my guess it's only an input.
The purpose of this setup, with just the audio, is that I don't want to buy a $700 unit when I only need GPS on the bike occasionally. The Cardo already takes care of my phone and I'd rather rout it that way anyways.

The original software with the G4 actually did work with the 765T (at least according to posts on the internet I've found). Cardo changed,or took out the A2DP profile, to only the HSP with an "upgrade" to the unit.
The reason I was interested in your modification is because of my Scala Q2 Pro and a Tom Tom Via "Bluetooth". As you well know, the Tom Tom will only recognize a phone with no GPS capability. I had originally purchased a bluetooth transmitter to listen to my Ipod through my Scala, and that works quite well.

My thoughts are that if I add a 3.5mm jack to the output lugs on the GPS motherboard I should be able to plug the bluetooth transmitter and listen to the GPS through my Scala headset. I have no need to 'talk' to the GPS, just listen to it's instructions. I'm taking a trip to Alaska in June and have been searching desperately to accomplish this. And also have no desire to drop $700 just to talk and listen to GPS. Thank you for sharing your ingenuity.

Hmmm... interesting. Wonder if that will work for the audio port on my 2820? I have Cardo now (mostly for bike to bike now that the wife is riding her own) and was thinking I'd have to buy a Zumo to get connectivity with the headset (previously was on Autocom). If it could be made waterproof (ish), this would be ideal...

Hmmmm.... (again)...

Griff

Those BT audio dongles can be used to create a bluetooth A2DP stereo connection for any audio device with a 3.5mm TRS audio output jack on it. So yes, it would work with your Streetpilot 2820.

By the way, similar dongles can be bought for a lot less moola,

Here's a bunch of options

Thanks Fred... Ideally I'd like something very compact like what the OP used, and weatherproof. Not sure if they make one like that but if not, a plastic bag and an elastic band is way cheaper than a Zumo.

Griff

Those BT audio dongles can be used to create a bluetooth A2DP stereo connection for any audio device with a 3.5mm TRS audio output jack on it. So yes, it would work with your Streetpilot 2820.
By the way, similar dongles can be bought for a lot less moola,

Here's a bunch of options
Most (if any) of those dongles do not transmit in Headset Profile HSP. If they don't, they WILL NOT work with the Cardo unit's. I can't speak for any of the other BT headsets.

Thanks Fred... Ideally I'd like something very compact like what the OP used, and weatherproof. Not sure if they make one like that but if not, a plastic bag and an elastic band is way cheaper than a Zumo.

Griff
So here is a pick of my setup in my Aqua Box. Ram mount does make multiple sizes. Mine is the Medium/Wide.

bt_Garmin.jpg

You can see the TxPlus on the right, power comes underneath with the powerlet ppc-024 and Garmin 765t.

Thanks MartinH... I have an old StreetPilot 2820, which is weatherproof on it's own without being in an aquabox, and I like being able to use the touch screen as is; hence the issue for me is attaching a Bluetooth dongle that is weather resistant so I can connect to the 2820 without locking the whole she-bang up in a separate case. Not sure if that's possible, but I'm doing the research.

If the only option is wrapping the 2820/Bluetooth in an aquabox, that may be the route I'll take...

Griff

You may want to look into a small waterproof case. My kids have one for an ipod that has a rubber port for the 3.5jack. One like that with a male to male might do the trick.

Griff
You know... these dongles don't look like they would be very susceptible to a little water. And you could always spray the body of the dongle with some clear acrylic conformal coating to make it more waterproof. The weak spot is probably the USB charge port. For less than $10 shipped it might be worth a shot.