Scala G9x

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kebo123

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Early Next Year new Scala G9x will be available. Some information:

Cardo Scala Rider G9x - Bluetooth Communication and Entertainment System

(Individual set with cable and hybrid boom microphone)

The Cardo Scala Rider G9x is the successor of the established Rider G9 high-end Bluetooth Communication system from Cardo. Compared to the Rider G9, the G9x offers the new music sharing function for rider and pillion and first of all an Android app for configuring the G9x via a compatible smartphone.

Like the G9, the G9x offers many functions, and is a group intercom, stereo Bluetooth headset and RDS FM radio receiver in one. To ensure that you never need to take your hands off the handlebar, almost all the functions are conveniently controllable via voice commands. In addition to the rider-pillion intercom function with a maximum range of 1600 metres and up to 4 users in conference, the new One+8 function enables up to 9 bikers to communicate with each other in toggling mode, and they can even call each other via voice command. Another innovative feature is the simple procedure for coupling two Cardo Scala Rider G9x devices. All you have to do is briefly touch the two devices against each other, and the coupling is done. A safety bonus is provided by the integral group signal function, which enables you to warn fellow bikers behind you about critical situations ahead. You can use the Cardo Community web portal to individually adapt the Scala Rider G9, and even plan tours with other users.

Voice instructions from your GPS sat nav (e.g. TomTom Rider or Garmin zumo) and phone calls from your Bluetooth mobile phone are forwarded to you direct, in top sound quality. An integral RDS FM radio receiver with 6 programmable station presets perfectly rounds off the wide range of features offered by this high-tech communication device.

The wireless installation kit for motorcycle helmets can be fitted to almost any helmet and is ready for operation in just a few minutes.

Features and functions:

Intercom connection (at least 2 Cardo Scala Rider G9xs are required):

"One+8" bike-to-bike intercom for up to 9 users with a max. range of 1600 m in toggling mode (1:1)

Bike-to-bike intercom for 2 rider-pillion pairs in conference with 1600 m max. range

Bike-to-bike intercom for up to 3 bikers in conference with 1600 m max. range

Rider-to-pillion intercom

Mobile phone connection:

Voice-activated call answer and reject (VOX technology) - you never need to take your hands off the handlebar

Voice-activated call function and dialling (mobile phone must support voice control)

GPS sat nav connection:

Connection to compatible Bluetooth-enabled sat navs (Bluetooth-headset profile included) for transmission of navigation instructions (e.g. Garmin zumo, TomTom Rider)

Other features:

Interchangeable stereo speakers - users can thus connect their own speakers via 3.5mm jack plug

Full-duplex connection: simultaneous speaking during intercom connection

VOX function for hands-free intercom and telephone calls

A2DP Bluetooth Stereo protocol for wireless hi-fi stereo connection to A2DP-compatible mobile phones or MP3 players

AVRCP function - for remote control of music playback (play, pause, fast forward, rewind) with compatible mobile phones or MP3 players

Digital signal processor for noise suppression and echo reduction

Jack socket for connecting an MP3 player by cable

Music Sharing- Rider & Passenger listen to the same stereo music (via A2DP)

Menu guidance via voice commands

Automatic volume adjustment according to speed of travel and background noise.

Radio reception via integral RDS FM module (6 programmable station presets)

RDS function - automatic search for the best radio frequency for each station

Group Signal: Send audio signals to up to 8 fellow riders simultaneously

Software update via USB connection (requirement: PC with Windows XP, 7 or 8 or Mac OS)

Android App for configuring the scala rider via a compatible smartphone

Individual configuration via Cardo Community web portal

Click-to-Link function: spontaneous intercom communication with other Scala Rider G4 and G9/x users in the vicinity without prior coupling/pairing

Simple coupling procedure by touching the two control units against each other (1 sec. flash pairing)

Sturdy and weather-resistant

Operating time: 13 hours (talk time)

Standby time: up to 10 days

Easy installation in just 5 minutes

Includes:

Cardo Scala Rider G9x control unit

Clamp mount with cable and hybrid boom microphone and detachable stereo speakers

Adhesive pad mount (as an alternative to the clamp mount)

Charger - with USB cable

Stereo connection cable (with jack plug)

2 x hook-and-loop pads for securing the loudspeaker in the helmet

Hexagon key

Storage pouch for Bluetooth unit

Operating instructions

My G4 set shit the bed for the second time and I haven't sent them back yet. They are no longer under warranty now anyway. My set still works at this time. We lost communications for the second time on a major trip to EOM. Not sure If I will go back them again if I decide to buy new. Seems like when we really have a chance to use them two up they crap out.

Hope you have better luck than I,

Dave

Dave, contact Cardo ASAP, you might be surprised what they'll do out of warranty......... call them.

I have G4's, never went to the G9, didn't need more complexity. As for the G9x, call me a bit skeptical of all that marketing speak. G4's and G9's did some of that stuff too. Now complexity sounds big, and given past functionality and bluetooth being flaky technology......... if they didn't put a real antenna on that FM radio, just write it off as useless. Anyway, if you get one, keep the operators manual handy so you can figure it out on the road.........

We have had hundreds of trouble free hours on our G9 power set. The power set is a pair of pre-synced headsets, and we get astonishing range, for Bluetooth devices, between the bikes.

However, we have never been successful in setting up communication between more then two bikes, despite having the ops manual with us.

Last edited by a moderator:
The G9 I have used quite a bit is a quality unit. But pricey. The deal breaker for me is not being able to use earbud speakers.

I'm saving my pennies for the new Sena 20S that will be coming out sometime in early 2014. Besides a slew of neat features, the new Sena 20S and the older SMH10 with a new firmware update will be able to communicate with other brand's headsets. About time somebody did that.

Dave, contact Cardo ASAP, you might be surprised what they'll do out of warranty......... call them.
I have G4's, never went to the G9, didn't need more complexity. As for the G9x, call me a bit skeptical of all that marketing speak. G4's and G9's did some of that stuff too. Now complexity sounds big, and given past functionality and bluetooth being flaky technology......... if they didn't put a real antenna on that FM radio, just write it off as useless. Anyway, if you get one, keep the operators manual handy so you can figure it out on the road.........
I guess its worth a try and see what they say. I use my set 10x more than my wifes but its always hers that goes bad. Go figure? I agree the FM is a useless feature and I rarely use it. Never mind trying to figure out the sequence of button pushes to get it engaged. I did copy some of the pages to keep on the bike when needed. they should make a laminated cheat sheat for every one of these units.
uhoh.gif

Dave

My G4 set shit the bed for the second time...
Dave, there are 4 gold springie pins on the mounting base, be sure that they are clean (wipe with a #2 yellow pencil eraser) and that they are all at the same height. Most of my first Scala problems were with these pins. After a lot of years of use one mic boom detached, then one speaker wire broke.

I have 3 G9 and 2 G4 (me, my wife and oldest son ride bikes and my second boy and daughter are sometimes with us as pillion). I did many rides with 3 - 4 bikes connected. I can confirm that sometimes there are troubles with pairing and sound quality (switch off and on helps most of the time) but over all I am happy customer of Cardo. I am using it connected with Zumo660 for music and navigation - working well.