Garmin Zumo Touch Screen problems?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I have some really good news, although somewhat hard for me to admit: It seems that I caused the screen malfunction.

The last time that I took the unit apart I looked closer at the black rubber profile gasket that goes between the front case and the touch screen. The gasket has a rib on each side (for your pleasure) front and back, but the one that goes towards the front case is slightly bigger to fit into the groove in the case. During cleaning of the gasket I had apparently flipped it bass-ackwards. When I flipped the gasket back over correctly and re-assembled it, I found that it then places less pressure on the touchscreen when screwing down the retainer frame.

At first the new touchscreen continued to malfunction in the exact same way, and had those little rainbow marks, which led me to believe that it was still defective. But I tried it again this morning after sitting all night and the screen has apparently recovered. And the rainbow marks have dissipated.

Let this be a lesson to you all. It does matter which way that gasket is flipped. :huh:

PS - I don't think that the Zumo 6XX series has been around long enough for any of these problems to be seen yet. Only time will tell...

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred,

I really want the Zumo 550 but ive yet to actually see one and play with it. The Garmin website states that is DOES NOT have the "where am i " feature. Does it at leaste have a menu button to find gas stations, food, lodging ect like all other garmins? The pictures of the 550 only show 2 screen shots. I wish I could actually see one before I drop $589 for one.

Thanks!

Fred,

I really want the Zumo 550 but ive yet to actually see one and play with it. The Garmin website states that is DOES NOT have the "where am i " feature. Does it at leaste have a menu button to find gas stations, food, lodging ect like all other garmins? The pictures of the 550 only show 2 screen shots. I wish I could actually see one before I drop $589 for one.

Thanks!
Hi DiverB,

I have a Zumo 450 and it does way more than I need. You can download music into it,no bluetooth like the 550 though. I have never had anywhere it couldn't find in US & Canada. I have been very happy with it.I can mark a given location that I am at and navigate to another location and it will take me back to that point.

Fred,

Thanks!
Yes, it has the regular POI (Point Of Interest) library (part of the map database)and you can search for these based on your current location, the closest to your destination, closest to your present route (I use this one for fuel a lot) or near any city of your choosing (manually entered).

The Zumo 550 is a great GPS for motorcycling, but is now becoming a bit long in the tooth. It suffers from having limited memory and, because the map databases are getting continuously bigger, you can no longer load the entire North America Maps onto it. You have to load East or West or Just US states, and put the rest on an SD card. You might want to see what you can get the newer Zumo 660 or 665 for. I think the street prices are pretty close.

All Zumos are popular with motorcyclists. I'm sure that you can get a look at them if you show up at any sort of FJR event / rally.

Thanks Fred. Good info. I dont mind if the memory is a tad small. SD cards are cheap these days and it only takes a few seconds to load one. I like the idea of the 550 having the XM radio (with purchase of the attena) and then I can stop using my iPod. Again thank you for the info, looks like I'll order the 550.

Brian