gen 1 vs gen 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Er....ah....may it RIP!
No way in hell!! "Git 'Er Done!" will live to ride again!

Tell these whippersnappers why you bought your THIRD Gen I, okay Jim?
No Howie, "Granny" now lives and has taken the place of "Get-er-Done". Only the heart of Get-er-Done lives in Florida soon to be in your bike.....the rest of the pieces are now, or soon will be spread around to various people......... '03 Gen I has the very best performance as you'll soon discover......be sure and put the '03 ECU in your bike with the motor and you'll see why I like '03 Gen I's.

jim

Gen 1's are lighter. How much I forget. Anyone know? I always thought that Heat issue was B.S. And I live in one of the hottest spots in the world. Maybe I'm numb! Gen 1 bikes have a secret button under the turn signal switch, when pushed will give it 50 more horse power at the rear wheel. Gen 2 bikes don't have that, their slower. Both are great bikes. I think its really splitting hairs. But Galaxy Blue is still by far the best color.

Gen 1's are lighter. How much I forget. Anyone know? I always thought that Heat issue was B.S. And I live in one of the hottest spots in the world. Maybe I'm numb! Gen 1 bikes have a secret button under the turn signal switch, when pushed will give it 50 more horse power at the rear wheel. Gen 2 bikes don't have that, their slower. Both are great bikes. I think its really splitting hairs.
You were 100% 'til ya got here.....

But Galaxy Blue is still by far the best color.
:p

Gen 1's are lighter. How much I forget. Anyone know? I always thought that Heat issue was B.S. And I live in one of the hottest spots in the world. Maybe I'm numb! Gen 1 bikes have a secret button under the turn signal switch, when pushed will give it 50 more horse power at the rear wheel. Gen 2 bikes don't have that, their slower. Both are great bikes. I think its really splitting hairs.
You were 100% 'til ya got here.....

But Galaxy Blue is still by far the best color.
:p
Howie, you'll notice that with the 2010 model they're thru with their "Dark Period"!!!!

Take your thumb and a couple of the same hands finger tips and twist the throttle on an 08 or later, now do the same on an 07 or any previous year. Was why I bought a used 08.

Spend some time looking through the FAQ section but IMHO the two main differences for LD riding are Gen II are hotter and Gen II have more electrical to spare.
The Gen 1's are the hotter of the two - above is just a typo - right Rogue?
Oops, yea typo (or drunk) :D :blink:

My take on the heat is: I came from a Connie and the FJR is way cooler! I have ridden my Gen I in 117 degree heat and never bothered with any of the "heat mods", I pointed it out because it really seems to affect some riders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my 04 but I couldn't even think about keeping the bike until I did the heat fix. Holy crap, it's a freaking hot bike. Yam just missed the boat on directing the fireball down instead of directly on your legs. Now it's a normal "hot" in line four. I've owned a bunch of in lines and they are all hot in the summer but not quite as bad as the feej. I'm not going to wear asbestos fire pants either. Maybe some of you guys who live in the dessert who routinly endure combustable temperatures on a daily basis don't "feel" the heat but any newb should be well aware of the "heat" problem when deciding to buy. I knew about the problem before I bought mine, I would not have bought it if a good fix were not available. And BTW it only takes an hour or less to do. Then you can move on to fine tune farkleing.

Everything Bounce just outlined, PLUS the differences in Gen I bikes.
The 2003 has smaller front brake rotors, and no ABS. Minor other differences between the '03 and other Gen Is.

The only difference between the '04 and '05 is the color.

Some people actually like the "Galaxy Blue" used on the '05s. No accounting for taste. :D
Lotsa truth in this. The general rule seems to be that blind people and those with dysfunctional vision seem to like the Cerule Sirul Cerealu '04 color while people who recognize that just because some fruits call graffiti "urban art" doesn't make it so. :p :p :p

On the heat issue, I'm gonna have to side with the "Holy fuck this thing is hot" school of thought. Part of that is because the fuel is routed from the tank to the fuel rail and injectors and then unused (*HOT*) fuel is routed back into the tank. I've contemplated putting a fuel cooler in the return line, but never got around to it.

For commuting in the desert Southwest with ATGATT and business attire under it, it's gonna cook your shins. Not that you won't be hot anyway, but there is a lot of heat coming off the engine, particularly in stop & go traffic and especially when the radiator fan kicks on.

But I still love the bike. Wish I'd opted for ABS, though. Never needed it, but I don't buy the anti-ABS arguments.

Good luck wherever you end up!

Rancho

Aw hell...go buy a Beemer.

The only reason any of us bought a leg roasting, oil-out-the-exhaust-port spewing, cam-chain-tensioner-eating Gen I, or an electrical harness frying, clutch sticking, ignition switch puking Gen II is because we all got dropped on our heads when we cleared the vibrating taco tower.

OfficerBarbrady.gif

The only reason any of us bought a leg roasting, oil-out-the-exhaust-port spewing, cam-chain-tensioner-eating Gen I, or an electrical harness frying, clutch sticking, ignition switch puking Gen II is because we all got dropped on our heads when we cleared the vibrating taco tower.
"Vibrating taco tower."

Oh christ. I'm gonna piss myself. There's a new term for me.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Rancho "PUI" Bob

"Vibrating taco tower."

Oh christ. I'm gonna piss myself. There's a new term for me.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Rancho "PUI" Bob
Right, as you can see from the above, we’re the crem de la crem!

I have a gen1 2005 and I have ridden 2 gen2 bikes. I found no real difference in heat or anything else for that matter. Just get the one you like and let it be. I live in the deep south and I ride my 2005 everrywhere adn heat has never been an issue.

I own a first gen ('05) and I would say there are trade off's on each - everyone mentions heat, but nobody has mentioned the first gens being 'tickers' or the second gens having key switch problems. Personally I'd rather have a ticker as it won't leave you on the side of the road.. You'll just get roasted 'boys' instead :lol:

Josh