Gen I / 03 front brake line question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGroenke

Reaction score
I have an 03 and I recently came back from a trip and after a few days there was a small drip on the floor under my right front fork. I found brake fluid is leaking from the bottom brake hose junction on the right side. I went online to order a new hose and they aren't available, on backorder. I've ran into this a few times with my 03 where they have discontinued a part because it was replaced in the newer models but the new part works on the 03. Does anybody know if a newer front brake hose will work on my 03? What year?

Thanks,

03 FJR1300, 12 KLR650

Can't help you on the part substitution but check to make sure that it is the brake hose/union as opposed to a fork seal. The fork seal could place a drip in about the same place and is a more common issue. Quick check - brake fluid is water soluble, fork oil isn't.

That Ross is a wise smart guy, suspect the fork seal first. Take a paper towel and wipe it around the fork dust seal where the silver tube goes into the fork base and see if it's dry.

I had a similar situation with the rear brake on my '03, but the banjo bolt on the caliper was just ever so slightly loose.

Pop the fork guard off on the leaky side and check for fluid there first, as the suggestion about the leaky fork seal is a possibility. You'll also lose fluid in the front master cylinder if the hose is what's leaking.

If you have a bad line, get a stainless brake line kit on eBay and call it good. The Spiegler kit and some others have just two hoses and a longer banjo bolt to attach them both to the front M/C, which bypasses the splitting block.

Regardless of whether it is the brake system, have the lines ever been changed from new? Yamaha suggests every 4 years, many go longer without issue but rubber does degrade and if it's going to fail, it will be under pressure - when you NEED the brakes.

I changed the brake hoses on my 04 FJR per the manufacturer's reccomendation. I took the hoses off, brought them to a local hydraulic shop, and they made beautiful stainless steel braided brake lines for me for a very reasonable price. I even got to pick out the color of the hose that I wanted. I also wanted the hoses made with just a little extra slack in them, so the hydraulic shop cut them about two inches longer than stock. YMMV, but consider giving a local hydraulic hose shop a try.

JIm

I had a similar situation with the rear brake on my '03, but the banjo bolt on the caliper was just ever so slightly loose. Pop the fork guard off on the leaky side and check for fluid there first, as the suggestion about the leaky fork seal is a possibility. You'll also lose fluid in the front master cylinder if the hose is what's leaking. If you have a bad line, get a stainless brake line kit on eBay and call it good. The Spiegler kit and some others have just two hoses and a longer banjo bolt to attach them both to the front M/C, which bypasses the splitting block.
This
rolleyessmileyanim.gif