Gen I Rostra Install Advice Needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: After a few delays I finally got this thing working today. It doesn't seem like the journey should've had to have been so trying, but at least it's working now. It really is pretty smooth with the current hardware setup and dipswitch settings. I had it out on the interstate earlier and tried it out at speeds up to 80mph, which is plenty fast enough for me on cruise control. When initially set, it surges slightly, maybe a couple mph, then it settles in and holds the speed to within 1 mph or so. I'm very pleased with it's performance at this point. Bumping the accel or decel 4 clicks gives about a 5 mph adjustment. I was ready to throw a party after this one, sheesh.

The hardware I added to get this thing working was:

Rostra Switch 250-3592 + relay for engaged indicator light

Rostra vss kit 250-4165

Koso M6x20mm Speed Sensor Magnet Bolts BF010611

Black Vinyl Sleeving to dress up the vss wires as they route up the swing arm

Dipswitch settings I ended up using (very smooth factory style performance imo)

1 off

2 off 1-2) Gain Sensitivity Extra Low

3 on

4 off

5 off

6 off 3-6) 4k pulses per mile

7 off

8 off

9 off 7-9) Engine Setup V8 low

10 off Sine Wave

11 on Automatic Transmission

12 off Open Circuit Switches

I ended up tying the blue tach wire to ground. I'm not too worried about over revs, I figure all it takes is a tap on the brakes to shut it down. Down the road, I want to look into tying the orange clutch wire into the clutch switch circuit. But that's for another day.

Some of the biggest issues I fought on this one: The servo unit quit responding to accel / set inputs after the initial trial last month while using the bike's vss, even after trying the 4:1 pulse divider. After it quit responding to the inputs, I wasn't sure if it was the switch, the servo, or the wiring. After a check of the wiring, nope nothing loose or shorted, so I went ahead and ordered a new switch and a new servo unit not knowing which one it could be, and started by replacing the switch. Nope, switch wasn't it, onto the servo unit. In the end, all it took was completely removing power from the servo (by removing the wiring harness connector from the servo box) to get it to reset and restart again. So, lol, I now have an extra Rostra brand new in box if anyone is interested. I'll post it in the for sale thread, if nobody want's it it'll go back. On the vss kit, I wound up having to put the pick up coil just about on top of the magnets with a slight offset off of center get a good signal. Rostra's install manual called for .5 to 1 inch spacing, I'm calling bravo sierra on that one.

Thanks to all for your input. I'm glad you Gen II and Gen III'ers don't have to go through this crap.

Do I understand you have no engine speed signal and no clutch signal? What happens if you just pull the clutch? Sounds like there's nothing to tell your controller not to open the throttle.

I won't pull the clutch...I promise! No, you're right about that and it would be better if further refinements happen. Tapping the brake does shut it down quickly though. Right now, I'm just loving that it works and regulates as well as it does.

I have installed my Rostra kit and it is giving me some issues with searching. Pulls a steady speed going up a hil (presumably because the cable pull is fully engaged) but on level ground it will move up and down approximately 5mph or slightly less. The dip switch settings I am using are as follows;

1 - Off

2 - Off extra low

3 - On

4 - On

5 - On

6 - On

7 - Off

8 - Off

9 - off

10 - On

11 - On

12 - Off

Is there a particular one of these settings that should minimize this issue? I got these settings from Kens install, a Gen 2 bike. When I used the Gen 1 settings listed in this forum I got no response from my unit. I do note on setting 12 that I am using a wired switch, not a remote unit. Not sure if this change will make a difference. Maybe I will give this a try.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

Mine is on a Gen 1. It maintains steady speeds regardless of what the road is doing. I will say when I activate it, it picks up 5mph... drops a few and then settles on the intended setting.

What speed trigger are you using? I notice your #10 is set to square wave. I gave up on the bike's vss signal because I think on the Gen I's the signal is different than later models and it is apparently too weak to consistently trigger Rostra's 4:1 divider. I ended up installing Rostra's magnet vss kit along with 3 magnetic bolts I installed on the brake rotor, which is why my pulse per mile settings are lower than yours. That's what cured my issues and it's been working flawlessly since. Mine does about the same thing PJ describes, it surges briefly when setting it, then it settles in and holds the speed rock steady in all environments. If you have the bar mounted wired switch, it needs to be set to open contact (off).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using the VSS signal from the ECU, the ABS white with yellow stripe wire for the grey speed sensor wire. The dark blue tach wire is currently not hooked up. I have tried going to ground but no change in operation. From what I can read on the GEN 1 bikes its not required. ..... currently feeling a little frustrated.....

Did you install a 4:1 signal divider? The Gen I pulse rate is too high and requires it. The research I did showed the ppm at somewhere around 80k ppm, the Rostra will only go up to 36.8k ppm. PJ said he used the 4:1 divider on his and it worked for him. I couldn't get mine to work on that vss wire even with the divider installed, so I gave up and bought the Rostra vss kit and it has been great since. If you do decide to go that way, I have some Koso 6mm magnetic bolts that work great and give a more professional looking installation, you are welcome to the extras I didn't need if you want them.

Make sure your connections are solid and that you have a good ground. Dirty signals and poor grounds can cause trouble. I have a Rostra on a Gen II using the w/y ABS signal for the VSS, my Rostra works great. All of my connections are soldered, or through a wire harness, no taps. My ground is 0 ohm. I don't even bother with wire taps anymore. If I am going to tie into an existing wire, I solder.

Make sure your connections are solid and that you have a good ground. Dirty signals and poor grounds can cause trouble. I have a Rostra on a Gen II using the w/y ABS signal for the VSS, my Rostra works great. All of my connections are soldered, or through a wire harness, no taps. My ground is 0 ohm. I don't even bother with wire taps anymore. If I am going to tie into an existing wire, I solder.
Gotta say, I like that approach. It avoids so many future potential problems.

Unless you suck at soldering.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="NTXFJR" data-cid="1305318" data-time="1461373282"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Kelvininin" data-cid="1305176" data-time="1461340876"><p>Make sure your connections are solid and that you have a good ground. Dirty signals and poor grounds can cause trouble. I have a Rostra on a Gen II using the w/y ABS signal for the VSS, my Rostra works great. All of my connections are soldered, or through a wire harness, no taps. My ground is 0 ohm. I don't even bother with wire taps anymore. If I am going to tie into an existing wire, I solder. </p></blockquote>

Gotta say, I like that approach. It avoids so many future potential problems.</p></blockquote>

A little practice is all it takes...

vwjzuwM.jpg

I learned component soldering during my time in the military. I had a gunnery sargeant for an instructor who exemplified and amplified the term anal retentive. He wasn't a bad guy, but you were going to do things the right way under him no if ands or buts. It was a real chore to pass his class because nothing short of perfection would do. Sad part is, I've probably forgotten more than remember from that.

A little practice is all it takes...
vwjzuwM.jpg
What did you use to cover the joints?

Commercial grade 3M Electrical Tape. I would otherwise use heat shrink, however I never cut a wire unless I have too. Continuity never improves, it only gets worse.

Well I got the sensor kit, and installed 3 magnets next to the bolts on the rear wheel brake rotor. Adjusted my dipswitch settings as per the list previous to match this setup, and all works great...... above 100 km/hour (60MPH). Below that it searches and fluctuates speeds..... also the sensor has tripped the ABS light. That is probably an easy fix, just moving the magnets and pick up coil further away from the ABS sensor....

All connections are soldered and shrink wrapped where possible. No issues are known in this area. Ground is connected direct to the battery with a separate cable to isolate it.

But now I need some advice on the speed thing.... Any ideas?

I used 3 magnets on mine as well. You might try the settings from post 20 maybe? I want to say with the 3 magnets, it worked out to something like 2450 pulses per mile. The closest setting that the Rostra unit offered to that was a 4k setting iirc. With that setting on my '04, it did very well at holding speed even down to around 45mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I mentioned it was because of the settings listed on post 23. I found that my vss coil needed to be just about on top of the magnets and off to one side. It wouldn't work consistently otherwise.

We, I have re-positioned the pick up coil, extending it out the end of the swing arm, with success. The cruise control now works fine. Sometimes it takes a while for it to "kick in" so to speak, but it usually gets there just fine. 1100 km's the last 2 days and most of the miles with the cc turned on.

That was easy ......
punk.gif
lol