Gen II Mirror spacers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaYzerman19

Go Wings!
Reaction score
I would like to keep the stock mirrors on my '07, but would like to move them out some. I could tackle making some spacers, but perhaps someone out there already does (I couldn't find in my searches). I'd appreciate any leads...........

I've been looking at my mirrors today. I think some offset mounts can be made. It would take some trial and error to get them right; but it looks like moving them out about 2 inches, and a little up at the same time, would be fairly easy using a block of aluminum. It would require some of my machining skills to make them look good; sounds like a good project for this winter!

Joe2lmaker was working on a set. He had some samples tested by other owners. I can't find his post but he had CAD drawings, etc. I PM'd him and asked him to please respond here. It might help you to see where his design led and what his results were.

After a quick search, I found the threads in which others had made some spacers. Some merely spaced the mirrors out more (which actually moves them forward more than out). And a couple others separated the mirror from the base with a lateral spacer; but they didn't look as good. To make a good lookin' spacer, that actually spaces out, it going to take some work. The easy way out is just to bolt on some FZ1 mirrors; but I think some spacers that are made right would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe2lmaker was working on a set. He had some samples tested by other owners. I can't find his post but he had CAD drawings, etc. I PM'd him and asked him to please respond here. It might help you to see where his design led and what his results were.
+1 on Joe2lmaker on the spacers, check out his personal info and you will see them.

My solution to the mirror problem cost me $1.69 plus tax at Wally world. 2" round mirror stuck in lower outer corners of each mirror. No more blind spot and i can even see my luggage bags.

Works great, but things do look closer than the seem.

If you check out my member profile, there is a link to that project on my 'about me' page. There are a few projects that aren't listed (e.g. the Pac-Man nut and the AVCC cable brackets), but I know the mirror spacer blocks are included.

I haven't had time to cut the shorter versions. (Mirror spacers only - not auxiliary light brackets/spacers). Maybe I should post the model in the CAD exchange thread and someone like 08FJR4ME can make a few sets. Or, someone could volunteer to help paint the trim on my house... that would free up some time for me :)

Note to self: add a link to the CAD exchange thread to my 'about me' page <Link>

Wow! Speak of the Devil.. I see 08FJR4ME answered the question while I was writing this.

I want to keep the OEM's because they look good and they don't shake. It's looking like I'll need to make my own prototype set of spacers, with some kind of offset feature that moves them out more than forward. Alas I am not a machinist and will have to use crude tools. Once done successfully, we can share. Does anyone have a broken/damaged Gen2 mirror they don't want?

Maxi View blind spot mirrors mounted on outside bottom of my FZ1 mirrors

the cat's meow IMHO

3715490680_006e9d46eb.jpg

3715490686_7c62de7bed.jpg

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

+1 on Joe2lmaker on the spacers, check out his personal info and you will see them.

My solution to the mirror problem cost me $1.69 plus tax at Wally world. 2" round mirror stuck in lower outer corners of each mirror. No more blind spot and i can even see my luggage bags.

Works great, but things do look closer than the seem.
I've been running the 2" mirrors too, and they do work but the really nice solution would be the MultiVext replacement mirrors IMHO. I keep meaning to get these one of these days:

MultiVex reveals the blind areas - Front of red vehicle is seen in operators peripheral vision, while the rear of the same vehicle is still visible in the MultiVex Mirror.

mirror4.jpg

This birdseye view diagram compares the field-of-view of MultiVex Mirrors with that of conventional flat and spherical convex types.

birdseye.jpg

Both mirrors for a GenII would cost $73

01061LH.jpg
01062RH.jpg

I just spent a frustrating 15 minutes on the MultiVen site, and couldn't find a specific listing for the FJR 1300, Gen II.

Do you have a link?

Thanks.

Don

It's looking like I'll need to make my own prototype set of spacers, with some kind of offset feature that moves them out more than forward.
Where are your spacers going to go?

Good luck. Figuring out the "some kind of ..." is the fun part.

It's looking like I'll need to make my own prototype set of spacers, with some kind of offset feature that moves them out more than forward.
Where are your spacers going to go?

Good luck. Figuring out the "some kind of ..." is the fun part.
Now you guys have me curious. This would be somewhat of a challenge seeing that they would have to be turned in somewhat i think. Two sets of mounts offset?

You're right their site design sucks.Here is the link to the selection page:

MultiVex Website
James ~ Thanks for taking time to post the link. I looked every-which-way on that site and couldn't pull up a listing for our FJR bikes.

Do you know if this mirror replaces the stock mirror glass, or is it adhesive to bond to the face of the existing ones?

I don't like the smaller spot type mirrors because of the distortion, but have had some experience with well designed mirrors for school busses and trucks. This looks much more like those designs, and might be a tremendous improvement... just hate to spend $73 on a guess! I'll have to do some more investigation.

Don

Do you know if this mirror replaces the stock mirror glass, or is it adhesive to bond to the face of the existing ones?Don
I sent them an email yesterday asking for confirmation, of what I suspect is the install procedure - the MultiVex mirrors stick on top of the OEM, no response to date.

Making spacers is harder than it looks. A ring needs to be cut for the mirror tab. The counterbore for the mirror stud needs to be the right depth. Divots for the balls need to be cut and everything needs to be in the correct angular orientation. There is a left and right, and then just try to make it look good!

DSC03101.jpg

Making spacers is harder than it looks.
Hey! You painted them! I noticed one of your photos is no longer in your post on the other thread.

I was hoping Yzerman19 would read enough of the other thread to see your spacers. I'm not sure what he has in mind with his "offset feature" idea.