gen III - strange squeak sound from rear shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kebo123

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
My FJR 13 (EU model) is one year old with 22000 km today. After yesterday full day ride when pushing bike to garage I recognize strange sound from rear shock (my oppinion only, may be it is from arm joint???). It squeak like old bedsprings from grand ma mattresses when push bike to the ground or just move on the seat. I tried to change spring preload (soft,hard), no difference. It did not happened before on my bike before (on my previous 07' I made 70.000 km and never experienced such thing).

What is strange - I am not alone! Two weeks ago I was with one guy in the Alps and his bike (also FJR '13) with same mileage has very same sound out of shock area but in addition his lever for load adjustment was completely blocked (not possible to move at all). Mine bike at that time was OK...

Any suggestion from where it might come from? What should I try to dissassemble and to lubricate?

As I mentioned, my genII FJR was issue free and I never did anything with shock or swing arm...

I had a 2004 Yamaha Venture that did the same. Sounded like a wooden rocking chair when O I would bounce up and down on the seat.

Yamaha replaced the rear shock under warranty.

It could be the relay arm, and that is certainly worth looking at and lubricating if you have never done that (it is in the required maintenance list). But is can also be the spring seats on the shock itself making the bed-spring noises. If you have someone else bounce the bike up and down while you lie alongside the bike you should be able to pinpoint better where the noise is actually coming from.

What you have done is only a temporary fix. With the mileage of your bike the relay arm relay needs a full strip down and lubrication. This is quite a protracted job involving the suspension of the rear of the bike whilst te relay arm is remved stripped, cleaned and lubricated. Plenty of info on forums:

https://fjrtech.net/getdbitem.cfm?item=15

If this is not done things WILL seize sometimes manifesting in components snaping (worst case scenario). Dealers often indicate at service that this has been done but in reality it has not due to the amount of time it takes.