Gen IV Rear Shock Leaking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjaor Domo

Reaction score
New to this site. Have a 2016 Gen IV w/ES suspension, and the rear shock is leaking. Bought the bike used with about 7800 miles showing. Seems the bike sat for a few years before I purchased it, and seals may have dried out. I'm trying to remove shock, but having trouble getting the LH resevoir (as one is sitting on the bike) out of the rubber boot that holds it (mounted just above the passenger footrest). Yamaha manual not much help. Question: is that resevoir connected to the stepper motor? Has anyone had experience removing the ES shock? I've found a place in New Jersy that CAN rebuild this for a WHOLE lot less tham what Yamaha wants for a new one. Thanks in advance!

BTW: User name should read "Major Domo" (lousy typing skills). I can't correct this until July 9, according to site rules.

I've removed an ES shock from a crashed FJR. Removing it was a bitch.

I would recommend procuring the ES Field Service Manual and following the instructions. The FSM indicates removal of the rear fender assembly is needed to access components. IIRC, that was indeed the case to access plugs and various connections. The stepper motor is located kinda/sorta behind the air box, the fluid reservoir is located inside the passenger footpeg.

Before removing the rear shock execute diagnostic code 84 to adjust the preload home position. Again, instructions in the FSM.

Good luck!

~G

I would recommend procuring the ES Field Service Manual and following the instructions. The FSM indicates removal of the rear fender assembly is needed to access components. IIRC, that was indeed the case to access plugs and various connections. The stepper motor is located kinda/sorta behind the air box, the fluid reservoir is located inside the passenger footpeg.

Before removing the rear shock execute diagnostic code 84 to adjust the preload home position. Again, instructions in the FSM.

Good luck!

~G

Good luck!

~G
I assume the Field Serivce Manual is the same as the workshop manual? The online workshop manual does mention rear fender removal, and code 84, but that's about it.