Getting member POI database into garmin 2730

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorcycle-ed

Reaction score
Last night in prep for the ride to Daytona for Bike Week, I finally got around to putting the member POI database into my Garmin 2730. All went well at first and the POI was in memory and I could access it from the menu. However, when I turned off the 2730 and back on again, I got a Maps Locked error message. The 2730 has the entire US already factory loaded on the GPS and unlocked. There is no reason for it to be locked. There is nothing in the manual about unlocking it because the 2730 does not NEED to be unlocked. Nothing I did would allow me to get to my detailed maps, although everything worked ok with the base map, including searching the POI database, nearest, etc.

I spent an hour on the phone with Garmin support and they could ot figure it out either. We tried reloading the unlock code and all kinds of stuff. Then we deleted the POI and it still had the detail map locked. Then they hooked up a direct line over the internet to my computer and talked to the 2730 directly and tried some stuff. Still nothing. The detail maps were still in the GPS memory but could not be accessed on startup. Then finally the tech talked to somebody, came back and did some magic with the unit and behold...it works now. I don't know what they did other than "we had to manually reset the unlock code". I asked if i could do that myself if this happened again and they said no, it required them to do it.

Anyway, now the unit works again, but no POI. i am a bit concerned about trying it again. The tech said not to worry, it was a fluke and would not happen again. I'm not so sure. Has anyone put the POI on a 2730? The 2730 is a unique GPS and does not work like any other 26XX or 27XX Garmin. There are no memory cards, everything is stored internally.

Ed

Ah, I see you did ask out in the forum.

As I mentioned to Ed via PM, I test the .gpx on my 2730 before I release it 'into the wild'. This is the first report I've heard of anybody having problems with it. Given this, I'm thinking it was just a random 'bit twang' that messed it up.

Has anybody else had issues like this?

Ah, I see you did ask out in the forum.
As I mentioned to Ed via PM, I test the .gpx on my 2730 before I release it 'into the wild'. This is the first report I've heard of anybody having problems with it. Given this, I'm thinking it was just a random 'bit twang' that messed it up.

Has anybody else had issues like this?
Thanks Bungee for the confirmation that my method of doing this was correct. I think what I might have done is to unplug the unit too quickly while it may have still be cleaning up files or something. After Garmin got it working and I followed the procedure of loading the POI using the Garmin POI app, it works just fine, no problems.

Thanks Again to all who tried to help...now it's DAYTONA HERE I COME, retirement in 5 working days!

Ed

Thanks Again to all who tried to help...now it's DAYTONA HERE I COME, retirement in 5 working days!
Kay, I'm envious. I'm at work, yet again, its -30C out and its being snowing non-stop for two days. Ya think I need I want to hurt my brain in the heat and sun and booze and hotties.... pffftt....

... HELL YA!

Latest posts