Getting to and from Vancouver Island

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarWestFastEddie

Reaction score
To avoid persecution, I have posted this inquiry in the Canada Ride Planning.

My BC friends,

I have a ride planned to visit Vancouver Island, we will be going over on the Black Ball ferry and returning on the BC ferry.

My questions are which is more stable aboard the ship, on center stand or kick stand? ( the last earthquake here the only bike to drop in the Yamaha shop was a FJR, on center stand) The other question, is there tie downs needed if it is a rough crossing?

I meekly seek this advice as an administrator may flame me for not searching the far and dark corners of the forum for this obvious dumb questions. Your input will be valuable and will not be in vain.

Your humble shitbilly,

FWFE

Side stand is fine unless it's really rough condition, (waves and high winds) always have your bike in gear and be at your bike before they dock in case they have a hard docking.

We ride the ferries in the San Juan Islands regularly and we always leave the bikes on the side stand. I have taken my FJR to Vancouver Island several times and park it using the side stand. The ferries are very stable and you should not have any trouble.

I don't recall this specific question about Black Ball or BC Ferry coming up...just the general question about center stand vs. side stand and conensus is usually center stand. I agree personally.

I've never been on a ride that a bike tipped, have only heard anecdotally that some bikes were tipped, but the crossings were particularly rough, and the riders either didn't heed the suggestion of the captain to return to their bikes, or were slow to return to their bike when the rollers came.

The point is that these crossings rarely have no warning for you not to go back to your bike, don't really need tie-downs (unless Black Ball does it as a private company) due to limited crossing time, and the BC Ferry rides are particularly large and smooth.

To avoid persecution, I have posted this inquiry in the Canada Ride Planning.
I meekly seek this advice as an administrator may flame me for not searching the far and dark corners of the forum for this obvious dumb questions.
I can think of one case in the past five years that a person got hassled about thread placement and it was because they chose to purposely and replace threads in the wrong area after repeated reminders.

And why does it always seem that people worried about being called out on searching don't ever even bother to try? If you're worried about this drama try, "Hey, I searched on x, y, and z and didn't find the answer. Anybody have an idea of what to search on?" Guarantee you won't be flamed.
thumbsup.gif

Last time I took a bike on the ferry the deck hand required the use of the side stand, and wooden chocks on the opposite side

From the BC Ferry website:

• Motorcycles should be parked at a 45-degree angle to the ship's centre line
  • Motorcycles should be left in low gear
  • Your motorcycle should be parked on the side stand so that it won't fall over to the left. The opposite side should then be blocked with wooden car blocks, available on the car deck, so it won't fall over to the right
  • Return to your motorcycle prior to docking to prevent it from falling over when the ship docks against the shore-pilings.
I believe Black Ball has similar requirements/suggestions.

If there's any potential chop, the bike will likely be additionally secured by strap(s) to a deck cleat or fixture on a wall, or you can ask the deck hand to help you secure the bike -- at least, you could do so back in the day, I have not taken a motorcycle on the BC ferry for a long time. You might want to carry one or two small web straps in your kit, in case they are no longer supplied.

I always use the more stable side stand for parking, anyway, and have the bike in gear. Center stand is only for servicing the bike, or if slightly more open space is needed to either side.

Enjoy the voyage. Maybe you'll spot a porpoise or whale...

Side stand for sure. the three point stance is more secure. The car blocks under the other side are a good idea. When I rode the ferry's daily I had a jack device made up to prop up the right side. If it's going to be a rough ride then you will be told to stay with the bike. On the San Juan run more than once I got drenched as the waves broke over the bow. They load the bikes first generally.

Friends, thanks so much for the worthy advice, it will not be taken lightly.

Iggy, Thank you.

FWFE

Last edited by a moderator:
Side stand for sure. the three point stance is more secure. The car blocks under the other side are a good idea. When I rode the ferry's daily I had a jack device made up to prop up the right side. If it's going to be a rough ride then you will be told to stay with the bike. On the San Juan run more than once I got drenched as the waves broke over the bow. They load the bikes first generally.
Like Ray I commuted off of Vashon Isl for a couple of years and always used the side stand. If the weather was bad enough I stayed with the bike to ensure it didn't get knocked over, and on those days the bike usually required a good bath as the salt spray is rough on them.

I took the full day ferry trip from Prince Rupert way up the coast to Port Hardy on the northern tip of Vancouver Is. after CFR and a ride up to Hyder (barely Alaska) in '08. The ferry trip was gorgeous, by the way. They said side stands too, and for a ride of over 12 hours, I figure they could expect anything up there, turbulence-wise.

But when Iggy said:

Guarantee you won't be flamed.
thumbsup.gif
I don't thing that can EVER be guaranteed around here.
laugh.png

Spud, I will keep that in mind. I do not anticipate any issues, just looking for some past experience. I sure enjoyed the response to this question The response was outstanding and quite expected.

FWFE

Vancouver Island, here we come!

Western

Touring

FJRiders presents in conjunction with the

FJR

Unofficial

Cycling

Klub

Idaho

Tour, the

The Vilage Idiots Tour 2015

FWFE

Last time I took a bike on the ferry the deck hand required the use of the side stand, and wooden chocks on the opposite side

From the BC Ferry website:

• Motorcycles should be parked at a 45-degree angle to the ship's centre line
  • Motorcycles should be left in low gear
  • Your motorcycle should be parked on the side stand so that it won't fall over to the left. The opposite side should then be blocked with wooden car blocks, available on the car deck, so it won't fall over to the right
  • Return to your motorcycle prior to docking to prevent it from falling over when the ship docks against the shore-pilings.
That's exactly the way the ferry south out of Cape May, NJ does it.

And park all bikes up on bow both sides. First on and first off..

side stand....

I have travelled BC ferries when the storm/seas were so bad we had to travel up coast, get in the lee in the island, then make the turn for Departure Bay. The bikes didn't budge.

BC Ferries provide blocks to wedge under the opposite side from your sidestand, under the engine. With that in place, it really can't go anywhere (unless you park in neutral...DOH)

The Coho tho, they will make you tie your handlebars to the side of the ship. Not sure how that would help, but that is their gig.

So, we did Black Ball ferry to Victoria, then BC ferry from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay. I then took Washington Ferry from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend, last motorcycle loaded and the first off up the ramp. Loved it!

FWFE

The Black Ball, unlike the other options, has a route that takes it directly crosswise to the tidal current of the majority of the Salish Sea. When the tidal flow is high, it can be more listing from side to side than ferries that don't take this kind of route. This especially true when the winds get high. And it's straight across the open part of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, with no sheltering islands along the route. I know long-time residents of Victoria that shun this route altogether.

This kind of condition sometimes shuts down the Port Townsend Ferry runs altogether, though these are much smaller boats.

Another, much more scenic (though longer) option is the Anacortes-Sidney ferry. It works its way through (and makes calls at) the San Juan Islands and is a truly enjoyable journey for its own sake.

In any case, the ferry crew will tell you what they want you to do. With the Canadian routes it has always been side stand and usually blocks. Most of the BC ferries will have you also tie your bike off with ropes.

Latest posts