Givi V46 Affects Handling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone remember Yamaha Corp published advice that, if running a trunk, remove the bags? It was for the aerodynamic drag issue above.
They still say either bags or topcase, not both. Not seen a reason before, I've always assumed it was weight (though their maximum weight for the topcase rack through to topcase make no sense at all, but that's another matter).

Like 99.9% of FJR riders, I always ignore that instruction. 

They still say either bags or topcase, not both. Not seen a reason before, I've always assumed it was weight (though their maximum weight for the topcase rack through to topcase make no sense at all, but that's another matter).

Like 99.9% of FJR riders, I always ignore that instruction. 
Yeah.  Me too.  

shJvbcF.jpg

I 2nd what SwollenRaccoon wrote. I too noticed a bit of “twitchiness” riding solo at speed with the OEM top case. This whether the tail case was empty or heavily packed. Was a lot better with a bag on the passenger seat, and completely gone with a passenger. 

So definitely an aerodynamic issue. I had a     Cee Bailey screen that was 4” taller and 4” wider than the stock screen. I”m what one would call small, 5’8”, 150 lbs,  with a petite frame (not wide between the shoulders) 

I imagine a larger (i.e. wider) rider, a different windscreen, a larger or smaller tail case, could have varying effects similar.

I do know there was a serious “updraft” behind me if nothing was on the passenger seat. (As opposed to a down draft as SR reported ) if I wore a lightweight jacket, the back of it would go up above my tailbone and rise to the middle of my back.