GixxerJasen does an FJR Trackday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaJudge,

You are going to have a blast. Doing the second day is cool because you can just keep building on what you are learning. I would say though that a trackday is much more physically exhausting than you think it will be and you could be quite tired for that second day. A lot of it will depend on how in shape you happen to be. At the moment I'm out of shape and not exercising so the idea of two back to back trackdays would be a mistake for me, but I have done it in the past and had an absolute blast. I spent three days at Mid Ohio watching the AMA races and then spent the next two days riding on the track. It was a pretty awesome five days of motorcycle related activities.

DaJudge,
You are going to have a blast. Doing the second day is cool because you can just keep building on what you are learning. I would say though that a trackday is much more physically exhausting than you think it will be and you could be quite tired for that second day. A lot of it will depend on how in shape you happen to be. At the moment I'm out of shape and not exercising so the idea of two back to back trackdays would be a mistake for me, but I have done it in the past and had an absolute blast. I spent three days at Mid Ohio watching the AMA races and then spent the next two days riding on the track. It was a pretty awesome five days of motorcycle related activities.
Well, a TWT riding buddy from Palestine, TX texted me around lunch today that he had signed up for the June 26 MSRC class on the 1.3 mile track. We had both been moved to the 6/27 make-up day (on the 1.7 mi), but his work schedule wouldn't permit that day off. So, I went ahead and signed up for the Sunday class as well. We have another TWT Tyler friend who has been to about 30 of these who is going both days too, but we may not see much of him since the RideSmart staff is asking him to move up to ride group 3.

Hopefully spending a good amount of time road bicycling (about 75-100 miles/week) has this 'ol 55 year old in decent enough shape to handle back-to-back track days in the TX warmth. I'll make it a point to not to try to squeeze too much in on the first day, especially during the afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaJudge,

Well, a TWT riding buddy from Palestine, TX texted me around lunch today that he had signed up for the June 26 MSRC class on the 1.3 mile track. We had both been moved to the 6/27 make-up day (on the 1.7 mi), but his work schedule wouldn't permit that day off. So, I went ahead and signed up for the Sunday class as well. We have another TWT Tyler friend who has been to about 30 of these who is going both days too, but we may not see much of him since the RideSmart staff is asking him to move up to ride group 3.
Hopefully spending a good amount of time road bicycling (about 75-100 miles/week) has this 'ol 55 year old in decent enough shape to handle back-to-back track days in the TX warmth. I'll make it a point to not to try to squeeze too much in on the first day, especially during the afternoon.
ABD

Always Be Drinking. Bring LOTS of water. Drink your water, drink their water, drink gatorade. You'll need it more than you think.

Enjoyed your write up Jasen.

All day track day + heavy bike = one hell of a workout.
smile.png

Looks like you had a blast Jasen! Thanks for sharing the pics and the cool video. Not one intersection to worry about during the whole lap.
smile.png

For me, I think Goal #1 would be constantly going through my mind, as I went around the track.

Thanks for taking us along Jasen!

DaJudge,

ABD

Always Be Drinking. Bring LOTS of water. Drink your water, drink their water, drink gatorade. You'll need it more than you think.
A good and welcome reminder.

I'll be treating it like a long distance (like 70+ miles) cycling trip, guzzling liquids at every opportunity. The hard part is keeping the electrolytes up and in the right proportions. I imagine sweating them out quite a lot in late June

Well lookee what followed me home today. Next trackday is going to be completely different. This particular one has been modified just a little bit.

20160611_154609_zpszhrfms6u.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good fun Jasen, Texas track days are smoking hot in full leathers...there was no amount of liquid intake to help me one year. That little scoot looks like a blast, it's funny how those things just follow us home. I call it adopt-a-bike and make it happy.

Yea, I had one trackday in the summer that I found I wasn't drinking enough. I figured that out as I watched the rider elegantly go through a corner that had been giving me trouble all day long. I watched him perform it flawlessly as I blew through my braking marker and off the track. I came round and pulled in and found myself well into dehydration and heat exhaustion and had to spend a few sessions sitting in the air conditioning out of the sun and taking in water and electrolytes. I don't mess around with that anymore. I drink enough that I pee right before going into my leathers and am hurrying out of my leathers after the session to go pee.

Latest posts