Going Flat Black, piece by piece

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, no... You naysayers have it all wrong.

That blacked out paint looks fantastic (on somebody else's motorcycle) :p

But on a more serous note, I don't like the lines of the blacked out part on the front faring. I think it would look much better by carrying the rear lines forward, something like this:

FJRBlackingOut.jpg

Advanced apologies for crappy photochop

Yeah...Just my opinion, but if you're gonna do it, do the whole thing. Everything that is silver needs to be flat black...Except for maybe the pipes. If you could do the wheels too, that would be even better, but what the Hell do I know...It's not my bike.

This is my blacked out Ninja. The bodywork was thrashed and took a lot of fiberglass and plastic to get it together. The bike isn't worth the expense of getting the factory colors. The bodywork is done w/ Duplicolor "Rust Tough" semi-flat. The frame is done w/ Duplicolor spray-on bed-liner paint. The headers are done w/ VHT. The headers look more black in person. By the way, the spray-on bedliner isn't always the same color from can to can. I use it on my Jeep and some of the stuff is blacker than others. I've had to respray a lot of stuff to make it uniform. So far the VHT has held up nicely on the headers. I wouldn't do the cans on my FJR but I wouldn't be opposed to doing the headers.

ninjablack008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my blacked out Ninja. The bodywork was thrashed and took a lot of fiberglass and plastic to get it together. The bike isn't worth the expense of getting the factory colors. The bodywork is done w/ Duplicolor "Rust Tough" semi-flat. The frame is done w/ Duplicolor spray-on bed-liner paint. The headers are done w/ VHT. The headers look more black in person. By the way, the spray-on bedliner isn't always the same color from can to can. I use it on my Jeep and some of the stuff is blacker than others. I've had to respray a lot of stuff to make it uniform. So far the VHT has held up nicely on the headers. I wouldn't do the cans on my FJR but I wouldn't be opposed to doing the headers.

ninjablack008.jpg
Thats hot!

That's cool, I don't think I'l actually do the cans but I like the black headers. I did buy some black wrap, I thought I would try that since I keep burning the back of my boot on the pipes.