Going Flat Black, piece by piece

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez, iffin he did that in Hongcouver, the cops would think he's part of an Asian gang.

Prolly NOT a good idea LOLOL

I'm looking at doing the truck bed liner treatment to the bottom half of my "rear sliders", which are sometimes known to other people as the saddlebags.

I've had oopsies on both sides that have rashed up just the bottom 1/3rd of the bags. I know I've seen some other folks do the bed-liner and it doesn't look too bad. But maybe the Plasti-dip would work just as well and be more easily reversible if I change my mind and want to send them off to Garauld for some fresh paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am usually a blacked out kind of guy. My last two bikes were mostly blacked out but I had a few accents pieces for them. My wifes Ninja is all blacked out and I think that looks good...BUT...I can't believe I'm saying this...I don't really think I'm feeling the flat black thang for the FJR. I think a gloss black with some minor flat black accents would look better and it would at least give it some contrast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting to see this post tonight and all the responses. I was standing next to my suspensionless bike tonight and thought, "I wonder how this would look with the pipes blacked out." Wierd.

BTW Dave from GP called tonight to tell me that my suspension parts are on the way home!!!!! :yahoo:

How could anyone go wrong with Black on any bike.

My 1975 Kawasaki Z1 900 B.

DSC01339.jpg

Wow, I've been mistakin for alot of things, never an asian gang member or a lackey, I am a lackey for a 5 foot tall 110lb white girl but I married her so that goes without saying.

I did get a new Olympia Phantom suit for my birthday, in grey black, and I've got a flat black Nolan helmet. I did consider the neon orage/yellow version but couldn't do it, reminds me of my work gear too much. I figure you have to ride like you are invisible anyway. I once got rear ended in a big yellow school bus, the guy said he didn't see me, go figure.

I did see a KLR proffesionaly done wtih that black rhino bed liner once and it looked pretty sweet, It really looks cool on the KLR. It would take the abuse on the side panels and piece around the bottom of the tank, and maybe the bags, I always seem to be scuffing them up pulling them on and off all the time.

I've been thinking about using a black stainless steel patina on the pipes, I don' t know if anyone has tried that. I'm not sure if it will take the heat of the pipes or if it would change the look. I might just try it on small piece of stainless heat it up and see what happens, I'm still researching that.

I must be the only one who does not get it. I looked at the picture and just thought - why? Reminds me of a Pantera I once saw someone had painted purple with gold plated wheels and trim. Lot's of trouble to take something nice and make it look hideous. But that is my probably very singular unpopular opinion.

I must be the only one who does not get it. I looked at the picture and just thought - why? Reminds me of a Pantera I once saw someone had painted purple with gold plated wheels and trim. Lot's of trouble to take something nice and make it look hideous. But that is my probably very singular unpopular opinion.
+1

you are NOT alone! :glare:

I think it's sweet-looking - let's see the finished product!

That said, I love the blue on my '06.