Going to Barber Motorsports museum. What are some don't miss rides.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crumpadump

Reaction score
Going down to Bama for a few days later this month. Looking forward to visiting the Barber Museum, bbq and riding while there. Looking for some input from you southern boys and gals on the don't miss roads and sights. If you have restaurant recommendations too, that would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks.

Kind of a weird thing: They take football very seriously in Alabama. So much so, there's a Walk of Champions in front of Bryant-Denny Stadium. Giant statues of Crimson Tide coaches that have won National Championships. It's worth a 30-minute detour, probably not more. (33.210031, -87.550342)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm planning on being at Barber's this Saturday 6/18 with the cage. 2-3 times per year they have "tag day" where those of us who have Alabama Barber's commemorative license plates get to do 4 "parade" laps around the track behind one of their fire trucks (a red Ford F-250).

On other days another FJR and I regularly ride backroads of mid-south TN.

Talledega National Forest... CR 500, 281, 49. Then head west to Moundville - see the Moundville Archaeological Park. Cool stuff.

I agree with LCB. The Talladega Scenic Byway, Hwy 281 is due East of Barber. It passes Cheaha State Park which is the highest point in Alabama at 2407 feet. A brief visit and the short walk to Bald Rock is surprisingly worth your time.

If you have more time, about two hours North of there, close to Fort Payne is Little River Canyon which has a very nice, easily accessible waterfall on Hwy 35. The Little River Canyon road, Hwy 176 and CR 148 and CR 275, is also a wonderful but all too brief ride with several nice overlooks of the canyon. CRs 148 and 275 are a bit rough in spots but still fun.

Try to be at Barber Museum on Friday for the basement tour. The day I was there in March I had a personal tour since I was the only one and we went into ALL the shops downstairs. I've been on the basement tour on a Saturday and with the bigger groups it was somewhat restrictive. The Saturday tour guide was more of a car guy where my Friday tour guide was a bike guy which also made a big difference. Fridays seem to be a less busy day that the weekend from my limited experience there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Redfish and LCB - all of those suggestions are great rides.

If you have a day to spare, go play in North Georgia. That's all you really need to know - any road on the northwest corner of Georgia is fantastic. No - I'm serious. Here is the best navigation method for riding north Georgia:

Step One - fold the map with the northwest corner facing up.

Step Two - Close your eyes

Step Three - with you index finger, point anywhere on the map.

Step Four - Go there.

If you take the Fort Payne/Little River Canyon run, highly recommend eating at Wildflower Cafe in Mentone, AL. Just check hours and make a reservation if needed.

North GA roads are great but probably out of your way. I'm sure you can have as much fun taking "the scenic route" up thru TN. Chattanooga is also a great town to spend an evening..

I've ridden to the Barber Museum twice. Last time was about 2 years ago. If the museum is all you see while there, it would still be worth the trip. The last time I was there was for a Triumph event for current and prospective dealers. My brother owns a dealership and we got the royal treatment. We even got to ride some Triumph bikes around the track. I rode a Bonneville which wasn't all that impressive since it was a smaller bike. I'm certainly not versed in the local area. Have a great time!

If you take the Fort Payne/Little River Canyon run, highly recommend eating at Wildflower Cafe in Mentone, AL. Just check hours and make a reservation if needed.
North GA roads are great but probably out of your way. I'm sure you can have as much fun taking "the scenic route" up thru TN. Chattanooga is also a great town to spend an evening..
+1 on the Wildflower Café. I was honestly shocked at what I found there. I paid good money for it but it was worth it. My wife ate Wild Caught Salmon from Scotland. We spoke to the owner and she assured us it was an honest advertisement.

If you are going that far you NEED to see Desoto Falls, it is very close to the café.

Fencer lives in the area. Try reaching out to him either on FB or over in the other sandbox.

He led us around the area several years ago when we were passing through.

Greenbriar BBQ outside of Huntsville off 565. Make sure you go to the old one. People loved it. Owners built new building and sold old cinder block restaurant to the employees. Everyone still goes there. Cheap good food.

Greenbriar BBQ outside of Huntsville off 565. Make sure you go to the old one. People loved it. Owners built new building and sold old cinder block restaurant to the employees. Everyone still goes there. Cheap good food.
Don't know what "new" building you are referring to. However the upstart Greenbriar BBQ close to 565 closed. Another bbq company is said to have acquired the building but I'm not sure if/when they reopen. 306 BBQ original restaurant is on US-72 in Athens.

I had my GPS set to curvy road the last few hours last time I went to Barbers. Right before I got to Barbers it took me down a little short curvy road. I thought for a minute I was on someone's private drive. It's called Bailey Rd. Certain not a destination, but a cool little road not a mile or so from Barber.

I went last year to the vintage fest. It was a blast and I already have my tickets for this year. Barber is a first

class operation. They pay attention to detail.

I can't say the same for the city of Leeds. Not sure why but someone decided to grind the asphalt the day before the

biggest weekend of the year for Barber. It brings in thousands of motorcycles and I am sure tons of money into the local economy. They rewarded those motorcyclist by grinding the top off the asphalt and leaving the gravel and grooves all

weekend. It was all the way through town. I made one trip to town, decided not to go back.

But that was a very minor thing. Don't miss Barber.

And if you get a chance to go to vintage fest do it!!!!

Guys I really appreciate the response so far keep 'em comin I'm taking notes. We're not yet set on a home base just yet. We're looking at Airbnb for a house to rent for a few days. My uncle (who rides a Harley like a sport bike) wants has talked to Motus Motorcycle and is wanting to have a look at what they offer and take a test ride while we're there. Though I've never done one I'll attempt to do a RR if I can take enough pictures. But I'll keep you all posted on our plans as they progress. Thanks all!