Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can u ride your bike with no handlebars?
Yes, but could before too. <_< Not for very long though.

Love to throw that into a 40 mph exit ramp at 70...actually I'd rather watch you do it. Did you happen to notice what happens to the contact patch when the bike leans? Check out your own picture!
Shouldn't be any problem. That picture is unloaded, and on a less than optimal tire with very stiff side walls that I simple used for testing purposes. I didn't want to spend $100+ on a tire and find out it didn't fit at all. And hey, even leaned over, I still probably have as much contact patch as the regular moto tire does. It just looks odd since there is much more tire there.

Unless you're one of those 'had to lay 'er down guys', sooner or later circumstances will arise where you will be using the chicken strips [ie.Heffer in your lane]. Car tires don't have chicken strips. Another consideration is the contour of the tire beads- they are different on car tires and don't match the shape of the flanges on bike wheels, possible sudden loss of pressure under load. A top quality bike tire like Conti or Metz can be had for a few bucks more than a decent car tire and will go 10K- I wouldn't be inclined to risk my hide or bike to save a few bucks. As far as a drag racing tire goes,I'm no Terry Vance but I know what happens when a drag bike gets up on the slick's edge.

Now, Eric, I still wonder if there are car tires with a more round profile or enough tread on the edge that could be shaped into a more motorcycle friendly profile. I assume you spend a good amount of your riding time in the center 1/2 of the tread so you'd not be losing a great amount of tread life by reshaping the outer 25% on each side. I know you are not an aggressive rider (Though this tire could be waaaayyy fun in a drag race!) but a little "contact patch" help for off-ramps might be something to consider, especially in the PNW where it does get cold and wet.
I've also noticed that when my rear tire gets a flat spot, toward the end of it's tread life, the required turn-in effort is increased. I'd imagine you get the same resistance/feedback with this rather flat-shaped tire on the rear.

Let us know how the experiment plays out.
The 17" size car tires tend to be performance oriented, and more are squared off than rounder. The all season tire I plan on ordering will have softer side walls and possibly a little more rounded profile. That should help to keep more of the tire on the ground.

Keep in mind that I did not get a chance to play with different tire pressures at all due to the leaks in the test tire. Initial testing did indicate that more turn in effort is required at low speeds, but I had no problem initiating turns at all. It's not so much harder as simply different.

I use my FJR to go places. And while I enjoy the twisty roads plenty, much more of my time is spent covering ground to get to some place where I want to do riding than riding in the twisties.

I'm not sure about the shaping of the edges of the tires. In the old days shops used to 'true' up tires by shaving some rubber off the sides. I suspect there isn't a whole lot that could be removed and that it may prove detrimental to tire life to do that. I will never be riding on the side walls, just less than full width of the tread at times. You know, like motorcycle tires do in a lean. ;)

A big reason for me to try this is just because no one else has done it on the FJR. WTH, it's an experiment folks. Time will tell if it's something that works well enough to do again, (for me), or if it simply isn't an acceptable trade off in handling, etc.

Regardless of how you feel about it, (you being the forum, not MM2), consider that you're going to learn more about the dark side as it directly relates to the FJR than you knew before. And that's good for all of us, even if just to say "wow, that sucked and now we know for sure it sucks, and exactly how it sucks." With out data, it's just an unsupported opinion. I'm gathering data from real world, direct first hand experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as I mentioned on the micapeak list, IMO this is quite ill-advised, but I *am* going to support your right to "experiment" with this tire, cause:

- You're a big boy who can make your own decisions as you see fit.

- I have no doubt you are cognizant of the, ah, limitations imposed from using non-standard equipment.

- If things turn out poorly and you end up have to replace tupperware, I know you will accept the consequences like the man you are.

I sincerely *do* have some concerns about your safety, mah Brutha, but, let's admit it: motorcycling riding isn't risk-free even when using proper equipment.

When you put on that all-season tire, you oughta have it "siped" first.....

sipeDetail.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
And to think I got severely flamed for posting that I stayed with a Ducati in some curves :blink:

When you put on that all-season tire, you oughta have it "siped" first.....

sipeDetail.gif
I went sipe/snipe hunting once. As a kid, all at the amusement of my Uncle ;) and the other adults.

I too support his right to *experiment* but tires and safety just don't cost that much IMHO.

But it takes all kinds to make the world go round don't it?

:)

I respect your right to experiment...but having just done some recent pavement surfing...things go in the shitter pretty quickly. Only dumb luck kept my torso from load testing a road sign post.

Don't wanna see anything bad happen to any Forum members...really.

This is one of the best threads ever! Makes me want to go out and buy some ladies' underwear.
Admit it, you already did. And got that free coupon from Victoria's Secret for another free pair. (My GF says they make panties for 20 year olds. Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

So, did they fit you better? :p

I respect your right to experiment...but having just done some recent pavement surfing...things go in the shitter pretty quickly. Only dumb luck kept my torso from load testing a road sign post.
Don't wanna see anything bad happen to any Forum members...really.

Lets remember a couple of things here. A. I'm curious and cautious, not stupid. And I'm far from unfamiliar with pavement surfing the FJR. Not my favorite thing. I do realize the potential risks here. My decision is to still give it a shot and keep an open mind until I have experienced it myself.

The forum can learn from my experience, laugh at it/me, or go Hmmm, and move on, regardless of the outcome. If it sucks, I'm certainly not going to be shy about saying so.

Life is full of risks that we choose to take. If we didn't, it would be boring as hell.

Eric V.

Wait a minit here! It's not April 1st, so what the hell is going on?

Are you actually serious about using a car tire on a motorcycle? If you had a sidecar, training wheels or only ride in a straight line, I'd say go for it. But the design goals behind auto tires and motorcycles are exactly opposite to each other. What the wheels do during cornering, and the resulting loads exerted on the tires, are completely different.

When you lean your bike into a corner any greater than ~ 10 degrees (which is tiny) with a car tire on the back you will be lifting the outside of tread block off the pavement, riding only on the inner corner of the tread. I guess it will scrub down soon or later, and become more round in profile, but the car tire's carcass is not designed for the wheel to tilt against the road. In fact, in sport applications, people add camber to the wheels so that the wheel stays as close to perpendicular to the road during corning, as possible.

But if you live in a place where you always go straight...

"The dark side" is what the folks in the scooter culture call sticking a car tire on their Burgman. Its pretty funny. Those folks would skin a gnat for the tallow. In the scooter culture car tires work as well as bike tires, but have 5 times the life. In the scooter culture Amsoil rules. In the scooter culture tall windshields do not cut your gas mileage. In the scooter culture ethanol has the same energy content as straight run gasoline. The laws of chemistry, physics, thermodynamics, even mathematics do not apply in scooter culture.

The way I see it, advertising that you're sticking a car tire on your FJR is sort of like advertising that you want to be a candidate for the Darwin Award.

"The dark side" is what the folks in the scooter culture call sticking a car tire on their Burgman. Its pretty funny. Those folks would skin a gnat for the tallow. In the scooter culture car tires work as well as bike tires, but have 5 times the life. In the scooter culture Amsoil rules. In the scooter culture tall windshields do not cut your gas mileage. In the scooter culture ethanol has the same energy content as straight run gasoline. The laws of chemistry, physics, thermodynamics, even mathematics do not apply in scooter culture.
:rolleyes: Interesting. You seem to be awfully up to speed on scooter culture there El Toro. Is there something you'd like to get off your chest big boy?

Next you guys will be telling me what a flaming death I'm going to suffer since I have a fuel cell on the bike. :dribble: And how bar risers reduce the rider's ability to control the bike. :unsure:

I've approached this whole issue with a sense of humor. I'm fine if someone thinks it's funny that I, or anyone, would try this. Doesn't mean I'm not still trying it though. The point is to learn, not just tell people what some other guy on some other bike thought might happen, maybe.

Never fear, I think some of you are just as wacked out. :wub: Like the ones that can't get more than 3-4k out of a tire. ;)

You might take nothing away from this thread except a laugh. And that's not bad. Or you might someday find the info helpful in a tight spot. Who knows, in the end, you might just be tempted to try it yourself. Since, you know, someone else was crazy enough to try it first and tell you about it. :grin:

And thanks to the admin that moved this to where it belongs, in the NEPRT section. :yahoo: