Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm behind you OC.

Even if an experiment fails, you still learn something. When man ceases to even try, he fails...and learns nothing.

Experimentation is how we evolve technologicly. Thinking outside the box, or even trying something many regard as foolish still takes some balls. The line between genuis and crazy has always been thin. I salute you.

KM

Years ago (in another life...), while building a one-off custom pan-head chopper, I laced a custom 15" m/c wheel to an H-D rear hub and mounted a Pirelli Cinturato sportscar tire (relatively rounded profile).

I rode the bike as well as the customer/owner -- we're both still alive. Of course, with the raked neck and extra-long girder, 'handling' wasn't part of the discussion. :blink: :)

Thanks for putting in the Best of NEPRT section. :yahoo:
Hey, no problem. ;) I don't think you are going to die from this, I think you just took a nicely handling motorcycle and made it not. Out of curiosity, how many miles a year are you putting on?

Thanks for putting in the Best of NEPRT section. :yahoo:
Hey, no problem. ;) I don't think you are going to die from this, I think you just took a nicely handling motorcycle and made it not. Out of curiosity, how many miles a year are you putting on?
Possibly true. Time & miles will tell. I've been averaging a bit over 20k, though '05 was an off year. Only rode 3k that year. 90k on the '04 now. Part of the problem is no more Avon Azaros. I've been having trouble finding a rear tire that lasts 10k. The PR2s should do that fine, but I'm morally against paying $300+ for a set of tires. ;)

Isn't there an entire site dedicated to guys that run car tires on their MCs? I know someone just sent it to me, but now I can't find it. I noticed that most of the bikes there are cruisers, but they are still MCs with the same basic handling issues. I don't get why everyone is freaking out. OCfjr is a big boy and gets to make big boy decisions. I don't think he's retarded or stupid, but I do remember hearing that most people thought Columbus was both retarded and stupid...Hmmmmmmmmm.

Now...This is not nearly as intense as finding the new world, but lets give OCfjr the benefit of the doubt. I don't think his bike will handle as well as a regularly equipped FJR, but it doesn't sound like he is expecting it will. I also don't think I will be putting a car tire on my bike any time soon, but if I am in Mexico city, lose a rear tire, and cannot find a MC tire, it will be nice to know that a car tire just might get me home.

OC, let us know how it pans out, and don't splat yourself on the pavement... :) :)

As I stated before, this is has been a practice among Venture riders for years. I have a friend who frequents Ventureriders.org and I have followed some of those threads. This is great stuff, the arguements are alomst identical. Yes, they are called 'Darksiders' over there and no one has died yet and this make for some pretty good drama. They created a secton for the darksiders just to keep the wide open debate at a minimum. The mods decided that the parctice would continue despite the purists and ninnies and those folks liked to share tire finds, specs and the like. Just saying.........

As I stated before, this is has been a practice among Venture riders for years. I have a friend who frequents Ventureriders.org and I have followed some of those threads. This is great stuff, the arguements are alomst identical. Yes, they are called 'Darksiders' over there and no one has died yet and this make for some pretty good drama. They created a secton for the darksiders just to keep the wide open debate at a minimum. The mods decided that the parctice would continue despite the purists and ninnies and those folks liked to share tire finds, specs and the like. Just saying.........
I can sort of see doing this on a Venture, or a Gold wang, or some other bike that you intend to ride primarily on interstate highways. But an FJR is not a touring bike (as delivered). I suppose this would be a good first step in the conversion, though.

We could start a new list: How to take the "sport" out of a sport touring bike. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can sort of see doing this on a Venture, or a Gold wang, or some other bike that you intend to ride primarily on interstate highways. But an FJR is not a touring bike (as delivered). I suppose this would be a good first step in the conversion, though. We could start a new list: How to take the "sport" out of a sport touring bike. :rolleyes:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's funny! Don't ride with many Gold Wing owners, huh? The ones I know don't ride " primarily on interstate highways" at all.

And here is something I've always disagreed with Fred. The FJR is as much a Touring bike as the Venture. Just as you argue the FJR is a Sport bike, others argue the Venture is a Cruiser. The real answer depends on how we each ride and use the bike. I know guys that can ride the hell out of a GL 1800 in the twisties. They're working harder, but the bike will do it if you want to. If they are riding The Pace, they aren't working hard in the twisties and aren't slow either. There is no "conversion". It's just like every other bike, you change stuff to make the bike suit your individual riding preferences. I doubt the car tire would be anyone's first step. ;)

As to "as delivered", :) One of the first things I did when I got my FJR in '03 was to have a long conversation with the insurance company. They said it was a Sport bike and wanted me to pay well over $1k for 6 months premium. I said it was a Touring bike. They asked why I thought this, my reply was simple, Hard luggage & adjustable windscreens don't come on any Sport bikes and I intended to use the FJR to go places, not ride the same roads back and forth. They saw it my way and the rate was ~$200 for 6 months.

If you want to take the bags off, install a small screen, toss on the stickiest tires known to man and ride the FJR like a sport bike, go for it! But it's not one. Way too heavy for that. It's a poseur sport bike for old guys, a sport-touring bike for people that don't want, need, or can't afford a dedicated play bike and a bike to go places on and for some it's a touring bike that still does very well in the twisties.

Another part that kills me about the nay sayers here is that with zero data or experience, they assume that the bike's handling will reduce it to going strait or slabbing down the freeway only and not be able to play in the twisties. For me, that simply remains to be seen. I'm frankly not expecting it to feel the same, but it remains to be seen if it will slow me down in the twisties.

Well, lets face. Whether someone goes splat or not depends on how well they understand the limitations of their rig. I see a guy with a seriously raked chopper head up the Avery Trace toward Montery several times a week during the warm season, and he always comes back alive. You learn to ride what you're riding.

I knew a guy with a Valkyrie who ran car tires. And he thought he was quite the Valentino Rossi himself... but....

Have fun with the car tires. I loved Fred's observation that we could have a thread on how to take the sport out of the sport touring label.

As for my knowledge of the "scooter people," I've never hidden the fact that I owned a Burgman 650 for a couple of weeks last summer in order to keep riding while my left foot healed. Two and a half weeks was all I could take, and when I discovered that the FJR AE could move the shift function to the left hand, I bought one and sold the Burgman. I ran the Burgman up over 700 miles in the two and a half weeks I owned it, and I did the first service myself. While I owned it, I interacted with the "scooter people." It was sobering.

So uh... What makes this NEPRT? While I've not been around here forever, I've been around a while and I don't ever recall this topic previously.

and it IS FJR specific in this case.

WTF?

It may be 'pointless' in some eyes, but I'm interested in the results, I might won't ever do it, but shit.

It's not never ending, or recurring, IMHO.

:)

Eric, You are not the only person looking into this,

Which All season tire are you considering?

Chris

I know a few people that run car tires on their Goldwings. 'Wingers have been doing this for years. The riders I know love the car tires because they get 50-60 thousand miles out of a rear tire, depending on what they are running. If I were to buy a 'Wing, I would probably put on a car tire when the OEM tire wore out. Never though of it for the FJR though, be interesting to see how it does. Keep us posted.

Go for it Eric. Find the roundest one you can and let us know. There are still tire truing machines around but the ones I used only worked on the flat tread. I have been known to use a sureform file on my tire while running on the centerstand when it gets flat in the middle. It works just fine if you are carefull and it restores the handleing for awhile.

So uh... What makes this NEPRT? While I've not been around here forever, I've been around a while and I don't ever recall this topic previously.
Mostly just because it's a tire thread. Tire threads are so argumentative that they all go to NEPRT.

BugR - I'm still looking at specs, but the Goodyear Eagle F1 all season and a Yokohama are at the top of my list. Hell, I'm considering the Blizzak too. Looking to keep the tread width under 8". The Cooper Zeon just fit, I need to check it's specs, but I believe it's over 8" like most of the summer performance tires.

[SIZE=14pt]LOL GREAT Stuff Eric!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]You made my day !!![/SIZE]

I logged in and as alway -hoping to find someone having great funn with their moto-bike. Not only did I find it in this thread, but I see it's you, [SIZE=12pt]putting a car tire on your bike!!! [/SIZE]

Lots of good ways to have fun, experiment and enjoy the great passion for moto-bikes that we share. I sure appreciate the zany experiement you're doing here. Me thinks it is nutty, daring, ridiculous and one of the silliest things I've ever seen.

Keep having fun, I'll be watching closely and when you get that perfect car tire mounted up ....we'll go riding and share some of that fun.

Cheers to you ---ya krazy basturd!!!!

I can sort of see doing this on a Venture, or a Gold wang, or some other bike that you intend to ride primarily on interstate highways. But an FJR is not a touring bike (as delivered). I suppose this would be a good first step in the conversion, though. We could start a new list: How to take the "sport" out of a sport touring bike. :rolleyes:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's funny! Don't ride with many Gold Wing owners, huh? The ones I know don't ride " primarily on interstate highways" at all.
So you must know all the gold wing riders in the entire world, I guess, since you can tell me there are no gold wing riders that ride primarily on interstates? Funny, since that was the bike's model name for some years, one might conclude there would be a few.

Clearly the Gold Wing was designed for Interstate travel. Many people use them that way. I would imagine those people would be more interested in extending the mileage from a tire than improving the cornering. Just to be clear, that would not be all Gold Wing riders, just some. Get it?

(here's a hint: read my post. I never said that all gold wing or all venture riders ride only on interstates. I said that for the ones that do it might make sense to mount a higher mileage tire)

And here is something I've always disagreed with Fred. The FJR is as much a Touring bike as the Venture. Just as you argue the FJR is a Sport bike, others argue the Venture is a Cruiser. The real answer depends on how we each ride and use the bike. I know guys that can ride the hell out of a GL 1800 in the twisties. They're working harder, but the bike will do it if you want to. If they are riding The Pace, they aren't working hard in the twisties and aren't slow either. There is no "conversion". It's just like every other bike, you change stuff to make the bike suit your individual riding preferences. I doubt the car tire would be anyone's first step. ;)
I never said the FJR was a sport bike. I said it was a SPORT TOURING bike.

See, there is (allegedly) a classification of bikes known as SPORT TOURING bikes. The FJR is (allegedly) one of these. These are (allegedly) different than "sport bikes" in that they are intended for touring. They are (allegedly) different from Touring bikes in that they are considerably sportier.

As to "as delivered", :) One of the first things I did when I got my FJR in '03 was to have a long conversation with the insurance company. They said it was a Sport bike and wanted me to pay well over $1k for 6 months premium. I said it was a Touring bike. They asked why I thought this, my reply was simple, Hard luggage & adjustable windscreens don't come on any Sport bikes and I intended to use the FJR to go places, not ride the same roads back and forth. They saw it my way and the rate was ~$200 for 6 months.
I always check with insurance agents when I want to know things about motorcycles...

Just because someone hosses a gold wang around through the twisties somewhat adequately or someone else straps some luggage on a gixxer and rides cross country on it, doesn't negate that these bikes were designed and built with a particular intended purpose. .

Another part that kills me about the nay sayers here is that with zero data or experience, they assume that the bike's handling will reduce it to going strait or slabbing down the freeway only and not be able to play in the twisties. For me, that simply remains to be seen. I'm frankly not expecting it to feel the same, but it remains to be seen if it will slow me down in the twisties.
Most of us do not need data or experience to conclude that strapping a car tire onto a motorcycle is not going to do anything positive for the handling of that motorcycle.

But, I don't really see what all the discussion about this. If you want to put a car tire on your FJR (seems you already did) more power to ya. Knock yourself out. Let us know how that works for ya.

Just don't expect that everyone else is going to think it's a "great idea".

It was mentioned but there are a couple of really good reasons to run a car tire: a sidecar or trike.

The advantage being a much larger contact patch for traction and braking, and since it's no longer going to lean, why not?

I've seen some homemade 3-wheelers using 2 front wheels that are very interesting. A wrecked FJR or Connie would be a good starting point for such a project.

So you must know all the gold wing riders in the entire world, I guess, since you can tell me there are no gold wing riders that ride primarily on interstates?
Fred. what's the problem? You never said all gold wing riders, and neither did I. My point was that despite the fact that the wing is a big, heavy, full on touring bike, some riders can still ride it well in the twisties. Well enough to keep up with most people on more sport oriented bikes. Most, not all.

Clearly the Gold Wing was designed for Interstate travel. Many people use them that way. I would imagine those people would be more interested in extending the mileage from a tire than improving the cornering. Just to be clear, that would not be all Gold Wing riders, just some. Get it?
And I said all of anyone would what? :huh: I didn't even say you said all of anyone would do/like/ride anything.

(here's a hint: read my post. I never said that all gold wing or all venture riders ride only on interstates. I said that for the ones that do it might make sense to mount a higher mileage tire)
And why wouldn't some FJR riders think it made sense to mount a higher mileage tire? No one rides only on interstates, even if some ride mostly on interstates.

Just because someone hosses a gold wang around through the twisties somewhat adequately or someone else straps some luggage on a gixxer and rides cross country on it, doesn't negate that these bikes were designed and built with a particular intended purpose. .
True, but who cares?? If I understand you, you're not suggesting that someone should only use a bike for the particular intended purpose, only that the design team had an intended purpose.

Most of us do not need data or experience to conclude that strapping a car tire onto a motorcycle is not going to do anything positive for the handling of that motorcycle.
If no data or experience works for you, go with that. But why do you feel the need to share your lack of data and/or experience on this topic with the forum in this thread?

But, I don't really see what all the discussion about this. If you want to put a car tire on your FJR (seems you already did) more power to ya. Knock yourself out. Let us know how that works for ya.
What, exactly, did you think I was doing with this thread in the first place Fred? The whole point of starting this thread wasn't to ask permission or what anyone though about the idea, just to share the process with the forum.

Just don't expect that everyone else is going to think it's a "great idea".
You know, I generally like your posts. I never said it was a 'great idea'. I only said I wanted to try it. If you read the thread, you'll see that I never said it was a good idea, or suggested anywhere that anyone else should do this. The whole thread is simply saying I am doing it and giving my experiences as I do this. I have even said if you only get a laugh out of this thread, that's still a good thing.

If you've got information to share, great. If you just want to cry doom, try another thread please. Pointing out car tires were not intended for motorcycles isn't a revelation.

I will never understand why people scared to try anything different are so dead set against anyone else trying it.

If he or she is not on your insurance policy or your bike why do you care to be so negative?

Leave the flat earth society on the shore and sail on sir. some of us still would like to see how this works out.

Goodluck