Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without looking through 90+ pages of Dark Side writing, does anyone have a picture of a worn (partial or total) CT on an FJR? I would just like to see what it looks like after cornering etc.

I was just reading a few of the very first posts from this thread, and I realize this "Experiment" has been going on for over 2 years. There are now over 40 converts to the dark side, and at least as far as I have been able to find, there has not been one, not a single ONE, report of damage to the bike, or an accident caused by changing over to a car tire. I think it is safe to say this "Experiment" is a major success.
+1, Gunny; Well Stated TriggerT, Papa Chuy is in full agreement with you! I have read ever one of these posts over the last two years, I find them mesmerizing: Like watching a train wreck in slow motion or watching "Jersey Shore" to see Italianos in their natural habitat! I also strongly feel that a car tire is safe and that this is no longer an Experiment, but instead is a proven FACT! In just the first few pages you can tally up over 100K worth of miles driven by these silly mooks and with not a single safety incident.

I mean you have Brodie FJR center punching elk and pickup trucks, but that is just Brodie's personal "thing" and was not influenced by the car tire on the rear of his FJR.

If I was inclined to put a car tire on the back of my Miss Lucy Liu, the safety equation would not even enter into my decision making process. Being in a "Club" with RadioHowie, Bustanut joker, FJRob1300 and Brian as Members would give me serious pause though!
I'm sure glad I wasn't included in that "club" of infamy. I did just do about 350 mi. today with my Exalto rear tire, and other than having to do a couple of U turns to go back and pick up a testicle or two and emergency room stops to have reattached, the tire did quite well. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me I've got a serious flat spot on my TAR. ;)

doctorj

I was just reading a few of the very first posts from this thread, and I realize this "Experiment" has been going on for over 2 years. There are now over 40 converts to the dark side, and at least as far as I have been able to find, there has not been one, not a single ONE, report of damage to the bike, or an accident caused by changing over to a car tire. I think it is safe to say this "Experiment" is a major success.
+1, Gunny; Well Stated TriggerT, Papa Chuy is in full agreement with you! I have read ever one of these posts over the last two years, I find them mesmerizing: Like watching a train wreck in slow motion or watching "Jersey Shore" to see Italianos in their natural habitat! I also strongly feel that a car tire is safe and that this is no longer an Experiment, but instead is a proven FACT! In just the first few pages you can tally up over 100K worth of miles driven by these silly mooks and with not a single safety incident.

I mean you have Brodie FJR center punching elk and pickup trucks, but that is just Brodie's personal "thing" and was not influenced by the car tire on the rear of his FJR.

If I was inclined to put a car tire on the back of my Miss Lucy Liu, the safety equation would not even enter into my decision making process. Being in a "Club" with doctor J, RadioHowie, Bustanut joker, FJRob1300 and Brian as Members would give me serious pause though!
I'm sure glad I wasn't included in that "club" of infamy. I did just do about 350 mi. today with my Exalto rear tire, and other than having to do a couple of U turns to go back and pick up a testicle or two and emergency room stops to have reattached, the tire did quite well. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me I've got a serious flat spot on my TAR. ;)

doctorj
I am so terribly sorry doctor J, I just knew I was forgetting someone; but I went back and fixed it for You, You Are Welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got off the phone with one of our Darksiders. THANKS FLORIDAVE!!!!! After much consideration and I can't even count the number of hours reading this thread, I've decided to take the plunge. I'm going to try it. I've owned my Feej for about 5 months now, just love the bike, and it's time to treat her to a new pair of shoes. The front will be a new P2 and the rear will be... (drumroll please) an Exalto. Should be able to make this happen in the next week or so. I'll let cha all know when I do so you can add me to the list. The local Yammie shop will mount it up for me after I sign a waver form, and I'll be on my way to "boldly go where no man has gone before." Oops, maybe where only 40 some have gone before. OK fine, so I'm not a pioneer, but I'm really looking forward to this "journey." I know the Feej is known for it's handling, but honestly, the only curves I deal with are turning on to a different road. How this tire will affect the handling isn't a big deal for me. I've been riding on and off since I was 11, so have no concerns about doing a crash and burn, especially since I don't recall ever grinding a footpeg. I always take it easy in the twisty stuff. I bought the Yammie for it's reliability, stunning looks, and power. The handling just doesn't factor in much, at least for me, though I'm glad to have such a capable machine. However, replacing tires, and the cost of doing so, does matter. And actually, though I've never heard anyone say this on the forum, I think the CT looks pretty darn cool on an FJR. Thanks to all who've posted pictures. Though I've never had the chance to meet any of you, I feel almost like part of a family. Excuse me, I have to go grab a tissue...

Gary in Tampa

Just to make sure I am on the right page, is this the tire you are talking about:

https://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/michelin/205%252F50-17+michelin+pilot+exalto+a%252Fs+vr+++89v.html

I didn't see any of you use the "Pilot" in the description, so I want to make sure.

Thanks.
Did you ever get your answer about the tire you described? I just ordered that EXACT same one about 15 minutes ago from the website you listed. Hope it's the right one. Did you order yours yet?
Gary in Tampa

ship me a regular email: [email protected]

That is the right tire. I got mine from discounttiredirect.com for $153 shipped.

Good talking to you today Gary.

Just to make sure I am on the right page, is this the tire you are talking about:

https://www.onlinetir...s+vr+++89v.html

I didn't see any of you use the "Pilot" in the description, so I want to make sure.

Thanks.
Did you ever get your answer about the tire you described? I just ordered that EXACT same one about 15 minutes ago from the website you listed. Hope it's the right one. Did you order yours yet?
Gary in Tampa

ship me a regular email: [email protected]

the only curves I deal with are turning on to a different roadGary in Tampa
Once you get the Exalto mounted, take a road trip. There's a curve in Tallahassee.
I see what you mean by curve in Tallahassee. Since I live on the west coast of Mickey land, I must have forgotten that there is another west coast. The longest road trip I've ever taken on the bike was 200 miles or so to Daytona. I might just take you up on your advice and head out to see the USA. Maybe you could meet me half way for a cup of coffee... By the way, speaking of road trips, you might consider heading back to my neck of the woods when we're done with coffee. I hear there will be quite a few people coming over to visit our lovely state around the March 4-13th. Contact the fine people at the following website for details:

https://www.daytonabikeweekevents.com/

Gary

Gary, you have an FJR. 200 miles is not a road trip, it is just flushing the old gas from the tank. Get that bad boy out and put on some miles.

the only curves I deal with are turning on to a different roadGary in Tampa
Once you get the Exalto mounted, take a road trip. There's a curve in Tallahassee.
I see what you mean by curve in Tallahassee. Since I live on the west coast of Mickey land, I must have forgotten that there is another west coast. The longest road trip I've ever taken on the bike was 200 miles or so to Daytona. I might just take you up on your advice and head out to see the USA. Maybe you could meet me half way for a cup of coffee... By the way, speaking of road trips, you might consider heading back to my neck of the woods when we're done with coffee. I hear there will be quite a few people coming over to visit our lovely state around the March 4-13th. Contact the fine people at the following website for details:

https://www.daytonabikeweekevents.com/

Gary
Thanks for the invite. Having lived in Tallahassee 10 years, I'm curious to see how it's changed. As soon as I mount my Exalto (my PR2s are still relatively new), I'll head over your way. Maybe we'll rent an airboat and see what's left of the wetlands.

Without looking through 90+ pages of Dark Side writing, does anyone have a picture of a worn (partial or total) CT on an FJR? I would just like to see what it looks like after cornering etc.
Check out the FAQ. Scroll down to the tire pics and you will see a good pic of a Bridgestone Potenza 019G Grid that was the original tire tried for Darksiding. There is a new pic and a pic when removed at 36,600 miles. Scroll down farther and there is a good pic of the Michelin Pilot Exalto All Season, (A/S) new to show the profile. You will notice that the Exalto has a more rounded profile new than the Bridgestone did at take off.

The BT works quite well and is a proven 40k tire. The Exalto has better handling characteristics, (easier turn in, less noticeable difference from a moto tire), but it's tread life is as yet unknown. Looks very good so far with 15,400 miles and at 7/32 tread remaining. That included a 11k mile endurance rally as well.

Congrats to you and commiseration to your honey. I'm sure she could have done better... :p
No doubt!! :lol: :lol: I'm still a little amazed at the course of events over the last year. After two weeks in the Caribbean including one week on a cruise in the BVI & UVI I can FEEL all the love from the forum members trapped in the snow, rain and various non-riding friendly weather. Thanks guys!! :p

A Honey, where in the hell did you find one of those? Congratulations.
LD riding in Alaska. She's also a LD rider, so no difficulty in explaining my 'madness' to her, she rides with me on her own bike. Unfrickingbelieveably cool!!! She also did the Ten 'n Ten rally last year, though her route was far different from mine, and she finished while I DNF'd. We can learn from each other. A very good thing.

Thanks for all the congrats everyone. It's a pretty good feeling to find someone that fits so well and I enjoy spending time with. I'm silly in love and it's something I never expected to find.

Welcome to the Darkside Floridave (#41), and Roy Epperson (#42), you have both been added to the official Darksider list in the FAQ. fljab, TriggerT, LowAndSilent & garyahouse - waiting for pics to be posted and you will be assigned a number.

<snip>

It's a pretty good feeling to find someone that fits so well and I enjoy spending time with. I'm silly in love and it's something I never expected to find.
Cool !

Congratulations Eric,

May you two have many happy years together.

wink.gif

Brodie

<snip>

It's a pretty good feeling to find someone that fits so well and I enjoy spending time with. I'm silly in love and it's something I never expected to find.
Cool !

Congratulations Eric,

May you two have many happy years together.

wink.gif

Brodie
+1, Gunny! You're a great guy Eric, I'm very happy you've found a great gal too!

Let ME be the first to ask the pertinent questions here:

1 - Does she think you're crazy for Darksiding your FJR

2 - What does she ride?

3 - Is SHE interested in the Darkside?

ps: Let me add my congratulations. At our advanced stages in life, finding a soul-mate is truly a special gift.

Congrats to you and commiseration to your honey. I'm sure she could have done better... :A Honey,

where in the hell did you find one of those? Congratulations

LD riding in Alaska. She's also a LD rider, so no difficulty in explaining my 'madness' to her, she rides with me on her own bike. Unfrickingbelieveably cool!!! She also did the Ten 'n Ten rally last year, though her route was far different from mine, and she finished while I DNF'd. We can learn from each other. A very good thing.

Thanks for all the congrats everyone. It's a pretty good feeling to find someone that fits so well and I enjoy spending time with. I'm silly in love and it's something I never expected to find.
Wow... Congratulations! I love hearing stories like this...they just don't happen enough.

...and a Biker too...any Sisters?