Good-to-Go Pass Mounting Location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisJ

Reaction score
Where are you riders in the Puget Sound area mounting the DOT Good-to-Go Pass on your FJR's? The DOT instructions say to place it on the headlight and I have reservations about putting anything on headlight lens in the light path as I enjoy being able to see the road at night, especially when it is raining. Will the pass fit on the cowling between the two headlight lenses? Other locations that you have used that work?

Assuming you're talking about one of the specialty motorcycle passes....then I tend to believe them when they say it doesn't really affect light output...or significantly enough to offset the value in knowing the pass can't be stolen.

I can't tell from the instructions, but if the unit is reliant on being optically scanned--there must be a technical reason about light shining through it. If so, I don't think it's going to work on another surface that's not backlit.

However, if it's electronic, transmitting, or RFID...then why not stick it on the bottom of the windshield?

Otherwise, I'd go with one of the other passes they offer.

I have mine on the trim piece on the windsheild, you do not need light to pass through to work, the picture on the instructions show the old bucket type headlights, I told them that most bikes today do not have this type of lights and they should update/add a bike with a fairing. I would not get the other type of pass if you ride the 167 because the sensors on the 167 will not charge you for riding in the HOT lane, with the others you will be charged.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102802653278700893632/20121227#5826727356466516658

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I like the idea of the bottom of the windshield or on the windshield trim. I knew about the HOV lanes on the 167 since I use them when heading down to go over White Pass and loop back through Ellensburg via the river. My main use would be for the 520 across the lake and occasionally the Narrows when I am coming back from out on the Olympic Peninsula or from the Hood Canal area. If I can get one that I can transfer between the FJR and my car, mainly for the winter months that will be ideal. A trip to the nearest outlet where they actually have them on display is next.

Thanks guys. I like the idea of the bottom of the windshield or on the windshield trim. I knew about the HOV lanes on the 167 since I use them when heading down to go over White Pass and loop back through Ellensburg via the river. My main use would be for the 520 across the lake and occasionally the Narrows when I am coming back from out on the Olympic Peninsula or from the Hood Canal area. If I can get one that I can transfer between the FJR and my car, mainly for the winter months that will be ideal. A trip to the nearest outlet where they actually have them on display is next.
I would get one for the motorcycle and the one you can turn on/off for the car, for me I would have to remember to put it on and worry about someone stealing it off my bike, or you can setup an account and jusy have them bill from the picture of your plate, it will cost an additional $0.25 per crossing.

I have crossed the bridge a number of times on my bike and have never been charged.......just ensure that your top case overhangs enough to cover the angle of your license plate.

I don't need no stinkin' pass.........or take I-90 - HOV Lane and no fees.

Achiu, you must be reading my mind as that is what I have decided to do. I only drive the car during the winter or if I have to make a Costco/grocery run or something similar. I just need to make sure I can have a single account with two Good to Go devices. Sounds reasonable but 'reasonable' and 'DOT' isn't always the same thing.

Achiu, you must be reading my mind as that is what I have decided to do. I only drive the car during the winter or if I have to make a Costco/grocery run or something similar. I just need to make sure I can have a single account with two Good to Go devices. Sounds reasonable but 'reasonable' and 'DOT' isn't always the same thing.
You can have more than 1 Good-to Go devices on one account, I would check your account on line to make sure they don't screw up your charges, I was being charged the extra $.25 because my sensor was not working, they gave me a new one.

I have crossed the bridge a number of times on my bike and have never been charged.......just ensure that your top case overhangs enough to cover the angle of your license plate.
Mmmm.. if can post a picture of your setup - with the plate covered of course - I'd like to see if I can do the same. Over here, we have a toll road with overhead cameras for those who do not use an "E-Z pass".. the toll is tantamount to highway robbery, at nearly 50 cents per kilometer. So a round trip from my nearest entry point to my destination (US border) will cost me $80. A similar distance on I-90 NY Thruway will cost me about $5.

(rant on) And be forewarned, if you are an out of province / out of state rider, they will bill you. Ontario has reciprocity agreements with 42 US states for traffic tickets and tolls. This bleeping highway was built with taxpayer dollars, then leased out to a private company who charge exorbitant tolls. (end rant)

Whenever I cross the 520 bridge I drive my pickup truck. Tailgate down and 4-12' 2x8's tied down across the center of the truck bed. Best $60 I have ever spent. Very high ROI. Been meaning to just try it with the tailgate down, but have not done it yet to see if that works. Anybody done that?

I have seen several cars with things hanging out of the trunk like an old coat or something that is strategicly placed too.

Got to get creative on the bike.

Whenever I cross the 520 bridge I drive my pickup truck. Tailgate down and 4-12' 2x8's tied down across the center of the truck bed. Best $60 I have ever spent. Very high ROI. Been meaning to just try it with the tailgate down, but have not done it yet to see if that works. Anybody done that?

I have seen several cars with things hanging out of the trunk like an old coat or something that is strategicly placed too.

Got to get creative on the bike.
If you have a front plate the camera may get it, I talked to the Good-to-Go people and they said they take several pictures of every car / motorcycle and you will be billed at full price, and the late fees are high, and you won't be able to renew your tags till they are paid, you can take your chances if you think it's worth it. Just because you did not get a bill in the mail dosen't mean your got a free pass, there has been people on the news that got a big bill and they said they never got a noticein the mail.

I usually use I-90 but really get tired of the northbound traffic where I-90 merges. Same for I-5 southbound once you get down to about 45th NE. Constant heavy traffic with lots of no signaling, lane switching, cell phone users. Just easier to head east across the 520 and drop down to Mercer Island on the 405.

Latest posts