GP Suspension Installed WOW!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
I was told by many on the Forum with much more mechanical sense than MOI, I should get GP Suspension Components install in the fork and a new rear shock. This farkle is around $1700 and that is a lot of coin. So I ordered back issues of trade rags looking for comments on the FJR suspension. I must have spent $50 on back issues of Rider, Motorcycle Consumer News and lord knows what other magazines. They all said the FJR has a good suspension. So I waited.

Then I had the opportunity to ride escapefjrtist's 2008 FJR with GP Suspension. After about a 10 minute jaunt along a twisty road I pulled up next to escapefjrtist and said you realize you just cost me $1700.

My front fork bushings, with 30,000 miles, where shot and the handle bars had a tendency to shake during slight deceleration. The entire front end would wobble - most un-nerving for sure.

I now have GP Suspension installed on my 2009 FJR with a Penske rear shock. It is simply amazing. It is every thing you need and nothing you don't. The bike is stable and solid. The wallowing I experience before was gone. You can adjust the rear shock to rear sit up higher providing more ground clearance and makes the bike quicker initiate a turn.

Recently GP Suspension was bought out by KFG Racing in Auburn Washington. So Seattle riders can get the GP Suspension components installed without going to Portland. I am the first to have my FJR done since the buyout. I am a very satisfied customer.

I took the bike to Windy Ridge on the east side of Mt. St. Helens last weekend for testing. Too much fun and no wobbling around like fat pig. The bike is significantly more nimble and is and a joy to ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another one assimilated. :)

BTW, George has an 09 just like you. You couldn't figure that out? :lol:

Very good Fontanaman. I've been thinking of upgrading my suspension this winter when the FJR sits in the garage. I didn't know GP Suspension was sold. So I have a couple of questions for you. What are they called now, GP or KFG? Also, do they still have the shop in Portland? I hope so, it's a lot closer to me than Auburn WA. Thanks for the personal, positive review and any info.

Very good Fontanaman. I've been thinking of upgrading my suspension this winter when the FJR sits in the garage. I didn't know GP Suspension was sold. So I have a couple of questions for you. What are they called now, GP or KFG? Also, do they still have the shop in Portland? I hope so, it's a lot closer to me than Auburn WA. Thanks for the personal, positive review and any info.
Just time it for when we have the fall tech meet. I should get the date confirmed here in a couple of weeks, but you could target the second saturday in October. The shop is about 5 miles from my house. I fyou need a place to stay we can get something worked out.

As fontanaman said, once you have it done, you will wonder why you waited so long to do it.

Complete bummer for Dave at GPS. Great guy, I know he's been fighting the good small biz man fight for years now, and had become somewhat, deservedly, bitter about it all. Still, a fountain of knowledge and amazing machinist. Need to call him.

Yes, it DOES make a difference!

Oh, 30k on front gen2 bushings?

Freaking crazy.

I refresh once every year and those bushings are g o n e.

One other comment I would like to add. Yes it is expensive but dam well worth it. When you do it you will finally have a suspension worthy of the engine!

In September 2010 on my way out to WCR I went to GP Suspensions for a 'Ride-In' suspension service on my '06' AE. I had previously installed a Wilbers shock but the front suspension was stock. I had the opportunity to ride into Windy Ridge on the way to GP Suspensions and then after the work was done I rode NF25 in the reverse direction.

You would be hard pressed to find a better testing ground for a suspension and the difference was night and day. Even with the Wilbers installed the bike would still wallow in the corners before the GP Suspension upgrades. Afterwards the wallowing was completely gone and the bike tracked like it was on rails. GP Suspensions didn't do too many changes to the Wilbers other than to change out the rear spring to a 850 lb spring. The additional valving in the front forks, new bushings and the new springs took care of the front end.

I thought Dave was moving the shop to Washington but judging by the comments it sounds like Dave is no longer involved. Did the guys in Washington just get what Dave had in stock or are they going to be making the parts like Dave did? I want to get my Wilbers serviced but Wilbers was bought out by Olhins so now what do I do?? Buy an Olhins??

Having just had my suspension done by GP this year I have the same concerns as Bill. Did Dave sell out his design with the shop? Where will I be when I need to have the suspension serviced again. It is good to hear that people have already had favorable results with the new owner. Still, they are in WA state and I am in VA.

Having just had my suspension done by GP this year I have the same concerns as Bill. Did Dave sell out his design with the shop? Where will I be when I need to have the suspension serviced again. It is good to hear that people have already had favorable results with the new owner. Still, they are in WA state and I am in VA.
Servicing the forks once they are upgraded is something anyone with a decent set of tools and some decent skills with tools can manage. The rear shock on the other hand requires special tooling and some shocks require machining to replace certain parts. For those folks that have not had the front forks upgraded, the GP Suspension valving was better IMHO than the Race Tech Gold Valves. These were the custom made components made by GP Suspensions that may be no longer available once current stock runs out. I believe Dave towards the end of his shop had farmed the manufacturing of the components out to another machine shop so hopefully the parts will be available through the new shop in Washington.

I thought Dave was moving the shop to Washington but judging by the comments it sounds like Dave is no longer involved. Did the guys in Washington just get what Dave had in stock or are they going to be making the parts like Dave did? I want to get my Wilbers serviced but Wilbers was bought out by Olhins so now what do I do?? Buy an Olhins??
KFG Racing of Auburn Washington bought GP Suspension and GP Suspension is no longer in business in Portland. Dave Hodges remains on as a consultant.

The GP Suspension parts, the valves, the springs etc, will be available through KFG Racing in Auburn Washington. After all why buy GP Suspension, close the doors in Portland Oregon, AND NOT offer Dave Hodges's excellent designed parts?

KFG Racing is a full suspension shop with a racing heritage. They can service any suspension including Wilburs.

You can contact KFG Racing by email or by phone 253.397.4474.

As I was the first forum member to get the GP Suspension installed by KFG Racing this was early on in the transition. In fact I waited a couple of weeks to avoid the trip to Portland for installation as I live 15 minutes from KFG Racing.

KFG Racing was working on a press release last week when I had mine installed. I am still waiting for my fork sticker.

This is fresh meat on the forum. Give KFG a try. After all you get Dave Hodges' designed parts and you can tweak the shock settings as you see fit. You can install the shock/components yourself or you can have KFG install them, as I did, for a reasonable price.

I ran into a friend at KFG - he was having a set of tires installed for $50.00. Not bad at all.

When my rear shock needs servicing I will be going back to KFG racing. The recommended service schedule for a Penske rear shock is 10,000 miles or annually.

KFG Racing of Auburn Washington bought GP Suspension and GP Suspension is no longer in business in Portland. Dave Hodges remains on as a consultant.

The GP Suspension parts, the valves, the springs etc, will be available through KFG Racing in Auburn Washington. After all why buy GP Suspension, close the doors in Portland Oregon, AND NOT offer Dave Hodges's excellent designed parts?

KFG Racing is a full suspension shop with a racing heritage. They can service any suspension including Wilburs.

You can contact KFG Racing by email or by phone 253.397.4474.

As I was the first forum member to get the GP Suspension installed by KFG Racing this was early on in the transition. In fact I waited a couple of weeks to avoid the trip to Portland for installation as I live 15 minutes from KFG Racing.

KFG Racing was working on a press release last week when I had mine installed. I am still waiting for my fork sticker.

This is fresh meat on the forum. Give KFG a try. After all you get Dave Hodges' designed parts and you can tweak the shock settings as you see fit. You can install the shock/components yourself or you can have KFG install them, as I did, for a reasonable price.

I ran into a friend at KFG - he was having a set of tires installed for $50.00. Not bad at all.

When my rear shock needs servicing I will be going back to KFG racing. The recommended service schedule for a Penske rear shock is 10,000 miles or annually.
I agree. As I said above, Barry Wressel - owner of KFG Racing - has a very good reputation within the road racing community. Any of you know that the racing world is VERY small. If you do anything that hoses somebody it will get around.

KFG is very good. As was Dave Hodges. Good to hear Dave is remaining active through someone else. I wish Dave all the best, I know he went through a lot of sh*t.

The recommended service schedule for a Penske rear shock is 10,000 miles or annually.
What a crock! I would not be buying a custom shock if I had to have it serviced four freaking times a year! :(

This does present a dilemma for me. My Wilbers with 55k on it since last rebuild/service is way overdue for a service. I was going to be sending it in to GP soon. I have never done business with GP before, but based on what folks here said, Dave really knew his way around a Wilbers and how to get it dialed in right. Bummed I have lost that experience.

I am sure KFG can rebuild it competently too, but so can any major suspension shop I am sure. What I really wanted was Dave's experience with rebuilding many Wilbers shocks specifically for the FJR. Bummer. :( Back to the drawing board.

Glad to hear the suspension is everything you hoped for Jim. I wasn't a believer until I picked up the '09!

Another one assimilated. :)

BTW, George has an 09 just like you. You couldn't figure that out? :lol:
Have I mentioned recently how well MY '09 is doing...didn't think so!! ;) :lol:

--G

The recommended service schedule for a Penske rear shock is 10,000 miles or annually.
What a crock! I would not be buying a custom shock if I had to have it serviced four freaking times a year! :(

This does present a dilemma for me. My Wilbers with 55k on it since last rebuild/service is way overdue for a service. I was going to be sending it in to GP soon. I have never done business with GP before, but based on what folks here said, Dave really knew his way around a Wilbers and how to get it dialed in right. Bummed I have lost that experience.

I am sure KFG can rebuild it competently too, but so can any major suspension shop I am sure. What I really wanted was Dave's experience with rebuilding many Wilbers shocks specifically for the FJR. Bummer. :( Back to the drawing board.
Yeah I subscribe to Dave's original recommendation of 25-30K or 2 years. I can tell after 15K and almost 2 years that my rear shock is starting to show the wear and getting close to needing rebuild. I am having to add a couple of clicks of compression and rebound to it. But that has more to do with adding the trailer and towing it about 12K miles in the last year and a half. I will probably go up one size on the spring to offset the added tongue wieght of the trailer.

I think KFG is used to dealing with racers and sportbikes wear the change in performance is going to show sooner than on the FJR.