GPS Mounting Location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the clutch mount w/a ram stem and it was vibrating too much. I went with a steering nut w/Ram. I can position it just where I want it, it's out of the airflow and weather, and works great for me. It's just wasted space between those bars anyway.

072009_203801.jpg

Can someone please point me to a website where I might see the Ram Bone Stem Mount?
Also, the RamMount website doesn't show a steering stem mount for a GPS. Can someone please direct me to the proper part number for this?

The techmount stem mount looks real nice, but at $80.00, it seems pricey.

It's time for me to upgrade my GPS and mount. Tx.
Here's an old post that has details on the Ram Bone:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=124395

OK - so the Ram Bone is mounted on the handlebars, not the steering stem nut?

I assume by "helibar setup" in the link, they are confirming that this would work with my 1" helibar risers?

I'll have to do some measuring to see how this will work with a magnetic tank bag.

The Ram bone is mounted to the front gas tank tab, using the existing screws.

IMG_7928_zps640b89a5.jpg

IMG_7937_zps25e256fc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I see said the blind man!! Thanks LKLD!

I think that's what I want. Stays put when the handlebars are turning (will the bars hit the GPS at full lock?), don't have to move it to fill up the fuel tank, and doesn't block the view of the gages. With an average sized magnetic tank bag, will the gps be in the way?

Thanks for your patience with this noob.

There is no touching of the bars...at all! I'm using the stock mount that came with my Garmin, and have it forward all the way (towards the dash). Not certain how it would work with your tank bag setup, but there are longer connectors out there which might be useful for you in case it doesn't clear.

Another vote for clutch side mount...............
I've got the GXM-30 XM radio puck on my clutch reservoir, and the V1/SPOT stack on the brake reservoir, using a Garauld reservoir mount, so the center mount for the Zumo works best for me. (I have a RAM steering head nut.)

I recently got a Ram Bone and found it to be a nice piece of equipment. Also, Cycle Gear had their cigarette lighter sockets on sale for $9.99 so I installed a socket in the forward pocket of the tank bag which is plugged into the bike via a heated gear type connector (so I can remove the tank bag). I use a 3" Ram mount with a cut down Garmin 76C holder (GPS unit died long ago) which now holds an automotive Garmin Nuvi 255. The GPS plugs into the tank bag and, if it rains, I just put a sandwich bag over the Nuvi. I couldn't stomach spending the money for a Zumo and usually use maps for rides but when going into cities or finding an address the Nuvi is hard to beat.

DSCN3803.jpg

Old1959 - thanks for your post and your pic. This is exactly what I was looking for and is exactly what I have bought. From your picture I can see that:

1. The bike guages are not inhibited

2. The handlebars will not interfere with the GPS lock-to-lock

3. The tank bag will work in it's current (preferred) position.

Excellente!! Now just waiting on Amazon.com to deliver.

P.S. - I put my tourmaster heat controller in the exact same place! Seems great minds think alike.

Just bringing up another option if you don't like cluttering up your handlebars and want a very clean platform to mount multiple items, hide all your wiring and you can add aux lights easily. Its also shades the gauge cluster without obstructing the view. I've got a zumo, radar and satelite radio mounted on mine. I also added LED lights to the top which put out about twice as much light as the brights.

49519f1d-4017-4ced-8e46-7caf13d6361a_zps13155781.jpg

20130408_231114_zps85ab3878.jpg

20130408_231125_zpsdca84043.jpg

aef0abb6.jpg

Now I see said the blind man!! Thanks LKLD!
I think that's what I want. Stays put when the handlebars are turning (will the bars hit the GPS at full lock?), don't have to move it to fill up the fuel tank, and doesn't block the view of the gages. With an average sized magnetic tank bag, will the gps be in the way?

Thanks for your patience with this noob.
I got the RAMBONE last year (is it me or does it sound like I just talked about a visit to prison?)..... aaaaaanyways it is awesome and a fantastic way to go. It is the perfect height to put my GPS/iPhone in correct view and still not block any of my gauges. And as you stated, it doesnt move at all as the the handlebars turn so it is safer for your electronics. I put the RAM-X on mine and it holds the iPhone perfectly. DEFINATELY buy one of these....

I tried the clutch mount w/a ram stem and it was vibrating too much. I went with a steering nut w/Ram. I can position it just where I want it, it's out of the airflow and weather, and works great for me. It's just wasted space between those bars anyway.
YUUP, what he said ^ :)

Here are some pics of my Techmount on the FJR... really like the position of the GPS as the instrument cluster remains unobstructed.
DSC04450.jpg
DSC04456.jpg
DSC04455.jpg
DSC04457.jpg