Great Lakes Ride (s)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On pace for arrival 0500 @ the soo..

Do you have all your forms Wayne? I printed up an extra set for ya..

Fire hall is expecting us @0300..

Last edited by a moderator:
Spot shows him in Georgia now. Ride safe!
Just south of hotLanta.

Speaking of hot, it's scorcher out there today and supposed to be even hotter tommorrow. I was going to do some work on the Ninja today, but feck it! I'm gonna stay inside with the A/C!

Spot shows him in Georgia now. Ride safe!
Just south of hotLanta.

Speaking of hot, it's scorcher out there today and supposed to be even hotter tommorrow. I was going to do some work on the Ninja today, but feck it! I'm gonna stay inside with the A/C!
Just got back from Niagara.... 27 near the water, 31 elsewhere.... lovin' my big ass geothermal heat pump right now.

He's not really going to attempt to end that BBG in Sault Ste Marie, is he??

I'm guessing that he'd be comfortably-enough beyond the 1,500 mile mark at Gaylord (1,525 miles) or Indian River (1,554), if he's the type of guy who wears a belt and suspenders.

I thought that too Bill, but in order for his whole adventure to be less adventurous the Soo is central.

It's home base for three of the rides.

If it were me, I'd get a gas receipt and witness signature on my form in Gaylord. Then, after the clock was stopped, I'd ride the last 115 miles to the Soo.

That way the ride is officially finished and anything that may possibly go wrong after the stop in Gaylord won't prevent him from getting the BBG award. Just saying...

I wish we'd have thought of that earlier.. I don't have his cell or I'd inform him.

Were supposed to meet up @0700 tomorrow. Too late at that point.

Tony's just between Dayton and Columbus Ohio at the moment. Jeebuz that guy is running a pace!

Video cam is mounted up, got a little bleach cookin' in the camelback, Cool Vest is in the saddlebags, tank is full. I think I'm good to go. Their calling for 37-39 (97F-102F)around here tomorrow with humidex. Hotter to south (around 105F). You guys have picked the hottest day in years to do this ride! Dammit! I'm Canadian, I don't 'DO' hot!

We'll see you tomorrow morning at the Elliot Lake turn off (hwy 17 and 108).

As of 07:00, Tony's been at the rest stop south of SSM since 4:34... awaiting the amigos. I'll be watching to hook up north of Toronto approx. 16:00 (excluding stops).... oh yeah, like Bungie says, gonna be sweating our gonads off today!! They hit here at the hottest part of the day!

Did Tony forget to reset his SPOT? OR are they stuck in the SUE?
No, the stop was intentional for sleep, and to wait for the other two. Now past Sudbury on the way to North Bay. A bit behind what I thought was the original schedule, and with fuel/bio breaks will add some time. SPOT does not always update quickly.

I am going to guess, at north side of Toronto between 1700-1800, and traffic will be brutal (as well as the heat/humidity). No choice but to take them across the 407 now to avoid the carnage of cottage traffic coming home..

They got a bit of late start. They weren't moving at 7am which was to be their start time. I rolled the dice and headed to Elliot Lake around 8am. Got there and about 5 minutes later those 3 yahoo's showed up. I'm not sure, but I think Bust had sheep fur in his teeth. They needed to stop for a bio break and that killed about 10 minutes. On the road, we rolled into Sudbury for fuel and a stretch. It was _FUGGIN HOT_ by this time. Everybody was doing good keeping hydrated. Onto North Bay. Somewhere on 17 I pulled out to pass a motorhome towing a trailer. Oncoming was a passing lane with the center lane clear (legal pass). 4 or 5 cars oncoming. Just as I pull-up along side the lead car (NOBODY in front!) they decided they want to be in the passing lane.

FUCK ME! Grabbed a handful of front and ended up locking up the back. I was just about to swerve back in behind the motorhome when the woman swerved hard back into the inside lane. Acute pucker moment!

We got into North Bay, I think, around 2-2:30. Mandatory fuel stop. I was leading, natch we couldn't make a left turn into the gas station. So i got to take Barry on a little side trip in North Bay LOL!

I just rolled in home after 600km and I have to say they picked the absolute worst day this year to do this (short of winter). The wind started blowing hard from the south (30-40mph) and their heading straight into it. Combined with the heat. It's rather unpleasant. I'm guessing all 3 will be meat on a stick by the time they get around Toronto.

Pic's to follow.

IMG_1144.jpg

Pathfinder in full beast mode. Bust in the background scouting for sheep sign, not finding any, so he decided to mark his territory.

IMG_1145.jpg

Extrememarine-Retired.

IMG_1146.jpg

Funny, the 3 of us from the Northland were sweatign bullets. Pathfinder had to be talked out of wearing his heated gear.

IMG_1152.jpg

That's right, back on the bikes, your only a little over half done

IMG_1153.jpg

Baa-aaa-aaa. First time I've heard a bike with the silencers drilled out, sound not bags!

It was cookin' in TO, 36C but it was a dry heat. Thankfully, lower humidity and haze was mild. The boys arrived at the Service Center just after 5:15 and we pulled out a few minutes later after fuel and bio. Wrong time of day when the peak cottage traffic was returning to the city, so we dashed across 407 toll road out of necessity. Probably saved 45 minutes, so I eventually left the boys on the west side of Kitchener, and all was well. Bungie, that headwind was no fun and they had to fight it all the way home.

I just checked SPOT and they're nearing the Owosso sheep farm.

It was cookin' in TO, 36C but it was a dry heat. Thankfully, lower humidity and haze was mild. The boys arrived at the Service Center just after 5:15 and we pulled out a few minutes later after fuel and bio. Wrong time of day when the peak cottage traffic was returning to the city, so we dashed across 407 toll road out of necessity. Probably saved 45 minutes, so I eventually left the boys on the west side of Kitchener, and all was well. Bungie, that headwind was no fun and they had to fight it all the way home.

I just checked SPOT and they're nearing the Owosso sheep farm.
The temperature peaked out in Sudbury at 40C (104F) around two this afternoon. Funny, didn't feel much over a 100. We hit some cooler air coming into North Bay (Nipissing is a big lake and is a natural heat sink). I think all of us were up on the pegs trying to keep cool. Well, except Tony. I think he actually lifted up his faceshield then.

I don't doubt for a second taking the 407 saved 45 minutes. Probably more. The wind was a bitch riding back to Sudbury heading West (crosswind across the Sturgeon and Verner. Farm country and wide open). I'm pretty sure I saved them at least 30 minutes getting gas just outside of Sudbury instead of coming all the way into town, then all the way back out to the hwy. Same think in North Bay where their is NO GAS on the highway that runs around the town, except a couple hundred feet up Hwy 11.

Looks like they made it back to Owossos (sp?) and Tony is north bound back to SSM Michigan.

They made good time on their run, looks like about 15 hours. Hell, it took me 19! Then again, I did it in the land of 80-90km/h speed limits.

Made it back here just after 11.. Tony didn't want to stop in for a break and continued his trek northward towards cooler air.. It's still mid eighty's here..

I was right behind Bungie when that pucker moment happened.. Believe me I about shit myself when I seen it unfold. :eek: Thankfully the woman wasn't yacking on a phone ;)

Hot as heck out there and then to get stuck in stop and go traffic twice in ten miles for half an hour before hooking up with Ray was brutal.. :blink:

I had a great time and am actually trying to come up with 450 miles for tomorrow and turn this into a BBG if that's possible. Yes it was hard as the heat was nasty, but truthfully? I never "hit the wall" I was expecting too..Hydration two days in advance plus Almost 2 gallons today made a huge difference.

Tony is a feking animal..

Uggg.. The weather up that way is frightful! :eek: ! I hope our boy finds a place to hunker down really soon!!!!

He couldn't have picked a worse week for this. It is going to be hotter than hell for this entire week. I hope he has a serious hydration system on his bike, he is going to need it. In my area, where he will be coming through later today, they are talking about highs in the upper 90's, with a heat index of about 107. OUCH!