Grip Change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrbrad

Reaction score
I have a 2007 AE with factory heated grips. Would like to install the G2 throttle tube with BMW Sport Grips and a Vista Throttle lock. The left factory grip looks to have the heater wire going right into the grip. Is the heater under the grip or part of the grip. Can the grip be cut off the tube or will this mess up the heater element. If you dont cut that left grip off how do you get it off. The right (throttle) side grip seems like I can get under it and could eventually get off. What are the complications of the G2 install with the heated grips. Is there a step by step somewhere on the sight to take you through this . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The grip heater is part of the grip, so you don't want to expand the grip too much for fear of breaking the heater wires. You do want to keep heated grips, right?

The good news is Yammy didn't use much glue. Remove bar end and have an air compressor with a blow-off nozzle, preferably with a tube you can insert between the grip end and the throttle tube. Remove two screws that hold the throttle/brake master cyl on. Split the housing carefully and note position of wire and throttle cable parts. If memory serves, you remove heater feed wire and partially reassemble to hold the throttle tube. Take very thin screwdriver and slide under the grip at various points to loosen the glue, perhaps spray in some alcohol (some have used WD40). Let soak for a bit, then put blow-off nozzle between grip and throttle tube (do not insert too far if you can avoid it). Blow a little air, and it might just be enough to release the grip, and pull at the same time.

Clean the inside of the grip with alcohol to remove the glue and WD40 (has silicone in it). Switch out the throttle tube with your new G2 and reassemble without grip wire/test. Spray enough hair spray to wet throttle tube and slide grip back on. Alternate, use a small line of high temp RTV gasket maker along the tube (not too much in case you want if off again some other day). Use a little air if necessary. Be sure to position grip in same orientation as before you took it off. Reassemble all the goodies, test that you haven't trapped the heater feed wire, etc.

Perhaps others have had a different method, I'm just relating what I did (from memory).

PS - just noticed you aren't far away...... PM me if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
The grip heater is part of the grip, so you don't want to expand the grip too much for fear of breaking the heater wires. You do want to keep heated grips, right?
The good news is Yammy didn't use much glue. Remove bar end and have an air compressor with a blow-off nozzle, preferably with a tube you can insert between the grip end and the throttle tube. Remove two screws that hold the throttle/brake master cyl on. Split the housing carefully and note position of wire and throttle cable parts. If memory serves, you remove heater feed wire and partially reassemble to hold the throttle tube. Take very thin screwdriver and slide under the grip at various points to loosen the glue, perhaps spray in some alcohol (some have used WD40). Let soak for a bit, then put blow-off nozzle between grip and throttle tube (do not insert too far if you can avoid it). Blow a little air, and it might just be enough to release the grip, and pull at the same time.

Clean the inside of the grip with alcohol to remove the glue and WD40 (has silicone in it). Switch out the throttle tube with your new G2 and reassemble without grip wire/test. Spray enough hair spray to wet throttle tube and slide grip back on. Alternate, use a small line of high temp RTV gasket maker along the tube (not too much in case you want if off again some other day). Use a little air if necessary. Be sure to position grip in same orientation as before you took it off. Reassemble all the goodies, test that you haven't trapped the heater feed wire, etc.

Perhaps others have had a different method, I'm just relating what I did (from memory).

Yes definately I do want to retain the factroy heated grips. I would like to change the actual grip but it sounds to me that the yamaha heater element is built right into the grip? so a grip change is not in the cards I guess.

If you're looking for a cushier grip, there's another option. Get some grip puppies from casporttouring.com and slip them over the factory grips. The pop on in seconds if you use an air compressor to blow them on. I've had them on my bike for a couple years now and really like the reduction in vibration. Plus the heated grips still work through them (although slightly attenuated)! :yahoo:

Off subject...but I'm a HUGE Red Wings fan! I was at game 2 of the finals last year. May the force be with them tonight! Stevie was the man...wish he was still on the ice.