Grip puppies to blame for NEP woes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FantasticJohnR

Reaction score
I finally figured out why I was having such a hard time getting the NEP lock to work correctly so that the throttle would easily return to off when the NEP lock was released.

I have a 06 FJR with stock grips covered by grip puppies.

I tried to make all kinds of room in the area on the inside of the grip where the NEP gaget goes but it kept getting bound down. It end up that the grip puppy seemed to be putting some pressure against the flange of the grip. The grip puppies are made out of spongey type material that is easy to push back but then it springs back into place. So, I simply cut off some of the grip puppy end (on the bar end side) and pulled the grip puppy back so it would not push on the flange end and voila- easy as pie to install with a zip tie as described in previous posts.

Sometimes the simpliest little things can make such a straight forward install difficult (and make me feel like a idiot).

Hope this helps others who have had a hard time installing this $10 gadget-nice it works nicely and just in time for my saddlesore 1000 ride to Santa Fe! :yahoo: