Handgun on a bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there is anyone here that would suggest a .32 or a .380 is as efficient ballistically as a 9mm, .357 or a .40. However, my .380 will fit in my front jeans pocket and my Glock model 23 won't fit effectively even in my coat pocket. I carry my glock as a duty weapon and wouldn't consider replacing it with my .380 but carry considerations sometimes dictate the size of the weapon I am able to pack.

I do carry my .380 as a backup and in plains clothes carry and there are some pretty efficient rounds available for it (based upon it's size and limitations).

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many good points here. I have made my own decision and since I am in Kalifornia, I have acquired a Utah and Nevada CCW. It does not help me here but does in about 29 other states. If anyone has any questions about how to obtain a Utah or Nevada CCW, contact me by phone at Bike Effects and I will do my best to answer your questions.

707-224-9262

From my personal experience, shot placement is what counts. Most of the homicides I have been involved in where a firearm was used have been small caliber, .380 and smaller. Several were .22's. My suggestion to folks that carry is to not depend on the size of the round, but learn where to put it. I am completely comfortable carrying a .380 when off duty, as most shootings occur with 7 feet or less seperating the parties. With the advancement in ammo technology, there is some .380 ammo that is REALLY good.
I was told once by a PO friend of mine that in the swirling heat of urban battle, even highly trained police officers only connect with about 1 round in 4, and it gets quickly worse as the training and confidence go down. Do you have more accurate statistics on this one? I'm curious. If you can connect, a low energy round like a 380 Auto will do damage, but its dissuasion capability is not nearly so large as one may wish.

I agree with your statement but, I do have my doubts as to the effectiveness of small caliber firearms. Another DPD officer stated most homicides he delt with were small caliber and went something like this: "victim sitting on his front porch minding his own business gets randomly shot by local badguy with a peashooter and dies" Now take the same victim and wire him up on crack cocaine or some other narcotic and add a big dose of adrenaline and you will empty that peashooter into him and it probably will not stop him. Large caliber handguns have a much better chance of doing the job and the same changes in ammo technology apply to large caliber handguns. I own two .380 hand guns for my wife to use in a home invasion and recently replaced them with 40 caliber due to the poor balistics compared to larger calibers. All that said, I hope and pray I never have to use them for their intended purpose.
Roger that. In the psychological game of dissuasion and after the "show 'em what you got" phase (if it ever occurs), it's all about energy transfer. A baseball bat capably swung in anger leaves one hell of an impression with the target. So will a .45 or some similar large energy round. A .22 can kill you but doesn't leave quite the same impression a .45 will on the receiving end, all other things being equal. Want to take the fight out of someone? Use more energy.

And recall that in the spectrum of typical gunshot wounds, vitals are not encountered as often as one might think so death is a relatively low probability event if proper care is suitably quick. If you doubt this, consider the KIA/WIA ratios from ground combat: Civil War-1/1.2, WWII-1/2.4, SE Asia-1/3.1, GWOT-1/8.4. And not all these KIAs died directly of their wounds...many suffered additional complications that current medical knowledge was unable to manage meaning the ratios are even more in favor of WIA if you consider just the first 5 minutes after the event. These folks pretty much knew (know) what they're doing, being trained and all. They're not typically trying to wound their adversary. So the odds say you're not going to kill someone outright but only wound them. If you want it over quickly...carry enough energy and learn how to use it accurately and responsibly. I'll leave a .380 in the safe in preference to a small frame .45 for personal defense.

Cheers,

W2

In Oregon, it's pretty easy to get a concealed carry permit. I just wanted to mention and address what I carry. I feel that a gun is better than no gun. This leads into the gun that I carry when I ride. It's a Kel-Tec .380. Sure, it's a small caliber but I'd rather have something than nothing. A lotta cops of here carry them as a back-up while on duty. There is a metal clip that attaches to the right side of the gun you can get as an option. The cops hang the gun off of their ballistic vest straps. I carry mine in my front pants pocket. Looks like a pocket knife when you can only see the clip. Super light to as its lower receiver is made of polymer. Just an idea for a non-cumbersome means of protection. :assassin:

I carry my Glock 27 the same way I carry when I'm out and about. Mitch-Rosen inside the waste band holster. the only thing I do differently is I take the round out of the chamber. More for my own piece of mind than anything I guess as I have no fear of a round spontaneously going off just because I'm on the bike.

I don't plan on using it while I am riding the bike, but when you're stopped on the side of the road for a break in the middle of no where and a lone car comes by, I don't have to play the "could I get to my tank/saddle bag in time" game. Taking it out and putting it away every time you stop defeats the purpose of concealed carry. (Not to mention increases the number of times you have to handle a loaded firearm.)

Ok, I was going to leave it alone at you need to look into what you need to do to carry legally, but with some comments here I just can't leave it alone.
First off, if you honestly believe that you can shoot effectively while riding your bike, you have watched waaay too many movies my friend. Unless you're in a Hollywood production, or are a very skilled and trained sharpshooter, you'll be lucky if the bullets go in the general direction of the person you are shooting at. Period, end of story.
Are you speaking for yourself, or for folks that you don't know? I honestly believe that I can, because I have. It takes practice and granted, the targets weren't moving but it really isn't all that difficult if you know what you're doing. I train often. At least weekly, sometimes more. I wouldn't consider myself a sharp shooter or very skilled, but I do believe that if you're going to carry a weapon you ought to be pretty good with it, with either hand, in a variety of situations and circumstances. YMMV.

I keep seeing that pepper spray shooting me in the face when I reach into the tank bag to grab my clip on sunglasses, or having it rupture in a crash adding insult to injury.

Transporting a sub compact handgun on a FJR is pretty convienient, use the glove box. Checking the state laws to see if thats legal would be a good idea though.

Unfortunately, I live in CA a state where getting a CCW permit is very hard or comes at a high price, I've never carried my legally registered handgun on my bike (gun in one bag ammo in the other), I'm leaning on the side of bringing it with me since I am traveling alone on my road trip and you never know what may come your way. I will research the laws for the states I'm traveling in. Any guys or gals you ride with a weapon on their bike your pointers are greatly appreciated

You guys must live in one F**ked up country if you have to take a gun on a road trip, come to New Zealand, no gun required and great riding country !!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, I live in CA a state where getting a CCW permit is very hard or comes at a high price, I've never carried my legally registered handgun on my bike (gun in one bag ammo in the other), I'm leaning on the side of bringing it with me since I am traveling alone on my road trip and you never know what may come your way. I will research the laws for the states I'm traveling in. Any guys or gals you ride with a weapon on their bike your pointers are greatly appreciated

You guys must live in one F**ked up country if you have to take a gun on a road trip, come to New Zealand, no gun required and great riding country !!!!!!!!!

Well, I'd like to welcome you to the site and hope you become a great contributor here, but I take offense at you suggesting my country is fucked up. You really didn't mean that did you? Maybe you just stepped into a conversation where you don't know shit and should have just sat on the sidelines.

As for the f'd comment, I'll just assume the insult was inadvertent & not meant.

I've ridden in many countries, poorest to richest, and am a white who regularly rides thru some tough DC neighborhoods. I've got a fine selection that I could use and practice regularly with, but never felt the need for a gun on a bike. Further, there've definitely been times that I think having one would've gotten me into trouble, rather than out of it.

The bottom line is that it's really personal preference and attitude. I AM glad to have the choice in most of the US and have no problem with anybody who feels that they need to have one.