Have you ever just..............

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbvolfan

Reaction score
.......started to work on something relatively minor on your bike only to end up with what seems like 1/3 of the parts in your tray and a confused look on your face several hours later (and 1 or 2 broken plastic pieces?)

:blink:

While leaving out the details, let's just say I got there tonight....4 hrs later I have most of it back together but still need to finish the minor maintenance task I started out with. Damnit if my curiosity and all that plastic dont combine to cause a lot fo problems when working on this bike! I think its time for a beer.

Just venting a little here, ahhhh...now I feel better.

That's what happens when I drink beer before I start.....you may want to lay off the juice when working on the scoot. :dribble:

The worst part is when you think you finally have everything back together and there are 2 pieces left over.

That's why your digital camera is your friend. If you take a photo during disassembly, its amazing how an 8X10 picture can help you get all the pieces back in their proper place....er...so I've heard. :rolleyes:

That's why your digital camera is your friend. If you take a photo during disassembly, its amazing how an 8X10 picture can help you get all the pieces back in their proper place....er...so I've heard. :rolleyes:
That, and logical order. If a major disassembly is in process, keep components and their fasteners together, and even somewhat re-assembled, to ease the eventual rejoining of all the components. Consider the bike an assembly of sub-assemblies, and things become a little clearer.

I'm a lot like my Dad in that respect. It's the whole "while I'm there" syndrome. Throw out all time estimates because the critical path to the project will always be all the "while I'm there" tasks.

Well, I decided today to let her sit for a few days (snowy/rainy anyway) while I mentally prepare for the next round (and the dealer to open so I can buy more of them &$%!#$ plastic washers/screws)!

Believe it or not, I started out with the goal of simply changing the coolant, oil, lubing some key points and checking the plugs....I now know more about the bike than I ever imagined possible.

That, and logical order. If a major disassembly is in process, keep components and their fasteners together, and even somewhat re-assembled, to ease the eventual rejoining of all the components. Consider the bike an assembly of sub-assemblies, and things become a little clearer.
+1 to what they said.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I keep maintenance and farkling to a minimum during the riding season. I normally have a list of maintenance needed and a nice pile of stuff to install once the snow starts falling. It really works out well with Christmas coming just before the farkling session begins.

Last edited by a moderator:
.......started to work on something relatively minor on your bike only to end up with what seems like 1/3 of the parts in your tray and a confused look on your face several hours later (and 1 or 2 broken plastic pieces?) :blink:

While leaving out the details, let's just say I got there tonight....4 hrs later I have most of it back together but still need to finish the minor maintenance task I started out with. Damnit if my curiosity and all that plastic dont combine to cause a lot fo problems when working on this bike! I think its time for a beer.

Just venting a little here, ahhhh...now I feel better.

Yep, I know what you mean. I call it winter. :rolleyes:

You mean like the time i was installing my pciii and decided to make a "simple" throttle cable adjustment and busted the throttle cable? Ended up costing me $130 for the dealer to replace. <_<

Like wrecking in October, taking it all apart in November while on major pain pills and then re-assemble new years Eve while drinking beer with no shop manual.

Turned out great ! One screw leftover and a lost tank bolt.