HD vs FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR2011

Reaction score
I was in Florida during the Holiday break and decided to rent a HD, i chose a 2014 FLH Ultra so that my wife would be comfortable.......rode approx 400 miles in 1 day and my conclusion = my wife & I both missed the FJR.... FJR is the better bike !!!!!

But i must say that the HD Folks were extremely friendly and know their stuff !!

I rode a 2013 ultra something last fall. Holy transmission clunk, what a pos. However it was 38 degrees and the grip warmers rocked.

I suspect the women folk must have a good time at the stop signs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode a 2013 ultra something last fall. Holy transmission clunk, what a pos. However it was 38 degrees and the grip warmers rocked.
I suspect the women folk must have a good time at the stop signs.
Harley transmissions clunk because Harley customers want it that way. Harley constantly monitors their customer base and works to keep their customers happy. Harley customers like it when the starting the engine sounds like a car crash and they like the vibration at idle.

I have it on good authority that to really make a Harley Girl happy at stop signs you have to hold the front brake. This forces all of that chassis gyration that was dissipating through front wheel movement to shake the bike even more violently.

I won't hate on the Harley but I voted with my wallet. I bought an FJR. Of course, I would love to see a big Road King parked next to it...

Motorcycle Consumer News magazine reviewed the 2015 Road Glide in the recent issue. They also panned its transmission for being "loud, stiff and neutral can be elusive", but gave it points for excellent handling and responsive motor.

It's wet weight is 839 lb, but it can still out-brake my '07 FJR (134 ft vs 144ft).

provocative title and already NEPRT!

If I was a dealer, I'd rather be making the coin from HD than FJR.
punk.gif

As a rider, I've done cruisers, and wont' do that again.

Is it true you have to purchase a HD at a clothing boutique?? My uncle Huck Farley told me that. I really want a Harley, but can't afford the required wardrobe.
bike.gif

I also rented a HD a few times out of town, since my buddy has the connections.... It was def hard to come off the FJR to a Road King or Heritage which he had ready for us - but they were comfortable and we put on alot of miles.

Fine for renting - especially when you know you can turn it back in.... No Antilock Brakes, poor amount of power.... Meh....

Rented a RoadKing for 5 days. Drove it about 1200 miles. Once home I returned it then went to a Moto Guzzi dealer and test drove a 1100cc California to make the comparison. Bought the Moto Guzzi on the spot...Never looked back. Now I have my 09 FJR and the Moto Guzzi. They compliment each other with different virtues.

Bill

We're on our 3rd FJR1300.

We also (presently) own a 2008 Harley FLSTF (Fatboy) and a 2015 FLSTC (Heritage Softail Classic)

And a GL1800 Gold Wing (our 2nd)

They all have their fine points and they also all have their detractions.

Still, comparing an FJR1300 to a Harley? Seriously?

One good thing about a Harley is that you can rent one just about anywhere. It may not be your cup of tea, but at least it's available if you have nothing else to ride.

I read about used HDs with more than 30-40,000 miles on the odo being very hard to sell or even trade in on a new Harley. Evidently a HD with 50,000 miles on it is considered very high mileage to most prospective owners.

I read about used HDs with more than 30-40,000 miles on the odo being very hard to sell or even trade in on a new Harley. Evidently a HD with 50,000 miles on it is considered very high mileage to most prospective owners.
REALLY! My 1984 Harley-Davidson FLH Electra-Glide 80" Shovelhead "Big Red" now has 315,000 miles on her odometer!

"My Mom Veda Stanley was born January 19, 1921; she will be 94 on 1/21/2015. This photo was taken on her 80th birthday in 2001, I rode her out to Los Hermanos Mexican Restaurant in Superior to celebrate her 80th. Right to left: "Big Red" with 212,000 miles on her, my Mom Veda, looking forward to her B-Day ride; Papa Chuy Viejo in his leathers and to the far left is my Metro Mechanical Service Truck. This was taken in front of my old residence at 630 N. Exeter St. here in Chandler, my Son Seth was only four years old at the time!

My Mom was an Indian Moto rider all the way, she owned both a Pony 30.5 cubic inch V-Twin and a Scout 45 cubic inch V-Twin; plus, she could kick start and ride my Father Ed Stanley's Indian Four Cylinder - I saw her do it as a youngster! Another amazing fact about my Mom Veda, she had never operated a motorcycle with a hand clutch and foot shift; she only knew how to ride with a foot clutch and hand tank shift, she would not ride my Uncle Drew's, her own Brother's, Triumph Thunderbirds because she thought that a hand clutch was for sissies!"

Scan130860002.jpg

REALLY! My 1984 Harley-Davidson FLH Electra-Glide 80" Shovelhead "Big Red" now has 315,000 miles on her odometer!
Hold on there Amigo! I did not say anything negative about the mechanical reliability of HDs or their longevity on the road. I know there are plenty of serious LD riders on HDs and many with high mileage. But I believe what I said is true, it is getting difficult to unload a HD with 30K or more on the odo. I attribute this to a few things. First is HD's marketing success which has seen them have over a 50% market share. Second, is the tendancy of the middle age buyers, who are fulfilling a bucket list item, to want a shiny new Hog to polish in the driveway on weekend afternoons. And, third, the tendancy of those owners of the new shiny HDs to do too little riding and too much polishing. Check Craig's List and you will see an endless stream of used HDs with very low mileage on the odo. If you were a dealer, would you want to have a HD with 39,000 miles on the clock sitting on your floor when there are 40 better deals on your local CL?

Not bad mouthing HD, in fact I think it shows the success of their marketing efforts. I don't think FJRs hold their value all that well either. Motorcycles in general suck in that regard, but I did sell a 1993 BMW R100GSPD for $7,800 last year. That's probably close to double the new price.

Your Mom sits that bike like a pro... what the hell ever happened to you?
smile.png

My 1984 Harley-Davidson FLH Electra-Glide 80" Shovelhead "Big Red" now has 315,000 miles on her odometer!
Which begs the question about how much of it's still original.

This was my Great Great Grandfather's hammer. It was handed down from father to son. We had to replace the handle 3 times and the head twice. It has great sentimental value to our family.

My 1984 Harley-Davidson FLH Electra-Glide 80" Shovelhead "Big Red" now has 315,000 miles on her odometer!

Which begs the question about how much of it's still original.

This was my Great Great Grandfather's hammer. It was handed down from father to son. We had to replace the handle 3 times and the head twice. It has great sentimental value to our family.
Hi Bounce, other than my doing my own regular maintenance and a top end job at 175,000 miles and replacing the Gates Drive Belt every 75,000 miles as a precaution: It is all original with the exception of one clutch at 135,000 miles, plus brake pads of course! Please bear in mind I have done NO "hop up" modifications on my H-D V-Twin, I am fully convinced that this is "The Kiss of Death" on Harleys: Leave them stock and they will run forever, our Nation's Harley-Davidson Police Department Specials prove this. JSNS!

Put 111,000 miles on this Harley FXD, was a four speed with chain drive and I STILL hate doing chain maintenance! jes' sayin' and nuff said, I sold it for the Bagger!

============================================================================================

And last but not least, here's Papa Chuy Viejo "El Burrito Ballerina" with his 2nd Harley-Davidson.

This picture was taken at Christmas - 1978 and this is my H-D FXS Low Rider 74 cubic incher.

I ran 3 straight Southern California Motorcycle Association "SCMA Three Flags Classic" motorcycle runs from Tijuana, Baja California Norte, Mexico to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Those are the "Finisher Medals" on my chest. In 1975 I rode the event on my H-D Sportster (complete with the 2.25 gallon "peanut" gas tank). In 1976 I rode the Three Flags on my 1966 BMW R60/2 and my final year of 1977 I was on board my H-D Low Rider factory custom.

100_0668.jpg