Headlight Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeb

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing my whole front end on my 08 (hit a deer).  The right headlight housing was smashed up, so I found a used 08 headlight housing to replace it.  pulled the old headlight housing off yesterday and then plugged the used one in and the lights do not work.  Am I missing something?  Fuse was blown so I replaced it and they still do not turn on.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

I guess I get to ask it first: Did you confirm all the bulbs are good?  FJRs are notorious for having both bulbs burn out within a short period of time from each other.  Add in shipping, bouncing around, etc, etc.

That's my next move.  Just thought I'd ask first to see if I am missing something other than that...

Yep.  Started it up multiple times and unplugged and replugged lights and had no luck with headlights coming on.

Headlight relay(s) broken? I think they are mounted somewhere in front of the battery. Since it was the right side damaged, could that area have been affected?

I have been trough a similar problem with my 2005. I found that, for no apparent reason, the headlight fuse prongs had a slight discoloration, wish was oxydation. I cleaned them with a very fine grit sandpaper, (600-800, you can also replace the fuse even if it test good), put some dielectrical grease and they started to work normally again and never failed in 15,000 miles.

Sorry, it was the left-front side of the bike that got smashed so probably didn't mess up the relay (if its on the battery side).

I'll try cleaning the fuse prongs. 👍

There are two headlight relays, on-off and dip. One of them is on the left side, look at this diagram (this of an '06, but I think it's the same as an '08).

Item 11 is the dipping relay.

(Click on image for larger view)