Heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday morning was 46 degrees. The heated grips got so hot I had to turn them off. My hands were sweating. The throttle was a little stiff. I went back to my dealer and he adjusted the cables. It SEEMS to be better. Anyone have these issues? He kept telling me that there is a wire under the grip. I told him that for $600 it should come with cruise control! I also had the harness recall done and he installed some kind of upgrade. Remember, my other bike is a ZX-14. But, I`m liking this one more and more. LD

I agree that the stock ones are priced to high. I installed the Honda ST1300 heated grips on my 07 FJR for $175 dollars plus the cost of a relay. The Honda heated grips only offer four positions for heat control but have worked great for four season's. I had read thru the following write up and adapted it to use the Honda Heated grips, there is a lot of useful information in this write up.

Old heated grip link

Funny, I read thru this and found a lot of folks on that old post are no longer around. I also realized that the players are changing but a lot of good info still is coming from the newer players.

Great form with lots of good info.

Thanks to all that have posted! This old Harley ride is still learning that he can learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased and installed the Heattroller kit. Installation was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I installed the controller where the stock controller would be. I have not even been close to 100% on the controller. Having the variable control is the best. I have found that I enjoy having them on even in milder temps (45-55) and wearing my reagular gloves.

Symtec + Heat Troller kit from Warm'n Safe here ($80 I think + $12 for the new grips).

Installed them last year. New gel ProGrips were a _real_ pain in the ass to put on over the heating elements. No issues since. Their luscious in the cold.

MyFuckingGod : Iggy there are two similar threads on the forum at the same time..........And they are both over 20 replies........ What the Fuck is gonna happen........

Holy shit Boy's ........ Duck and cover.......

It's got a tad cold for us (ok me) SoCal folks in the a.m. at 40º on the way to work (althought the ride home is a nice mid 70's). :D Now I miss my heated grips, just keeps the rest of me nice and toasty.

I have Throttlemeister bar ends that have a throttle lock, so I can't run the heaters. :(

I just installed the Yamaha grip warmer kit on my bike... installation was a breeze and the wire management is amazing... I had someone look at my bike after I installed them and they asked "where are the wires?" Then I showed them the new throttle housing which hides the wire, and the bracket that hides it on the opposite side. I also love the fact that everything plugs into the factory wiring harness (no cutting or splicing). Yes, it's an expensive add-on, but it's well worth the price in that it's a nice, clean, factory install. I put a set of aftermarket warmers on my Ducati... and yes, they were inexpensive and work well, but nowhere as nice as the Yamaha kit.

I just installed the Yamaha grip warmer kit on my bike... installation was a breeze and the wire management is amazing... I had someone look at my bike after I installed them and they asked "where are the wires?" Then I showed them the new throttle housing which hides the wire, and the bracket that hides it on the opposite side. I also love the fact that everything plugs into the factory wiring harness (no cutting or splicing). Yes, it's an expensive add-on, but it's well worth the price in that it's a nice, clean, factory install. I put a set of aftermarket warmers on my Ducati... and yes, they were inexpensive and work well, but nowhere as nice as the Yamaha kit.

ok... please advise what kit you put on.

the one i've seen just shows the wires hanging down under the grips at the inboard edge of the grip.

i really want the look of the factory intalled with no wires visible, and want the plug and play wiring connections.

i'd like any info you can share as well as perspective on the install...

thanks!

I've learned that sometimes it's worth paying for something designed for the bike rather than a "one size fits all". I am very pleased with my factory grips, they get hot, I can modulate them with gloves on and it's not a complicated install. All the wires are ready for you on the harness. Best price I found when I ordered mine was here: https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/catalogs/detail/26/209/408/4148/1/0/0/1/4/4/2699/41445/grip-warmer-kit.aspx

Thanks for the link!

what i'm particularly interested in is this statement from Bluecrab:

"...the new throttle housing which hides the wire, and the bracket that hides it on the opposite side"

Here's a pic of the throttle side with the OEM heated grips.

right_grip_routing.jpg

Clutch side.

left_grip_routing.jpg

Here's a really good thread on the topic. I'll be using this for reference, ordered mine today using the above link.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=113501

ok... please advise what kit you put on.

the one i've seen just shows the wires hanging down under the grips at the inboard edge of the grip.

i really want the look of the factory intalled with no wires visible, and want the plug and play wiring connections.

i'd like any info you can share as well as perspective on the install...

thanks!
Looks like you own a 2010... I thought the 2010 bikes had heated grips as standard equipment?

Thanks Blue...

Ionbeam, i have a 2010. and the 10 did not come with heated... sadly.

i looked high and low for a 2011 for that reason and they are apparently kinda rare...

i found one after i had brought the 10 home. so..............

now i must add them.

Just Curious, Does any of the Aftermarket Heated Grips do what the Factory ones do?

Selectable Max Temperature, and Rheostat Controlled by the Throttle? :unsure:
You can use the OEM controller with either the Symtec or Dual Star heating elements, giving you the best of both worlds. You get the custom-fitting and speed-sensitive controller while getting to use the grips of your choice.