HELD Summertime Gloves: (Rodney's in particular)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still may order a pair of the Impulse ST's now that I know their sizing. That seems like a considerably more substantial glove for not much more moolah.

Don't know about their gloves, but have had a Held tank bag and Held boots, both excellent, so wouldn't hesitate to buy Held gloves when I need new ones.

Years ago I had a pair of Cortech mesh gloves that had a liner. The liner was only sewn to the outer glove at the wrist so the liner fingers were constantly getting pulled out of the outer glove fingers making it a real pain in the ass to put them on. I hope they've changed their design. The Held's were expensive, but you don't have to throw away too many crappy $30-$60 gloves to pay for them.

Years ago I had a pair of Cortech mesh gloves that had a liner. The liner was only sewn to the outer glove at the wrist so the liner fingers were constantly getting pulled out of the outer glove fingers making it a real pain in the ass to put them on. I hope they've changed their design. The Held's were expensive, but you don't have to throw away too many crappy $30-$60 gloves to pay for them.
I have a pair of the Cortech Scarabs. Really nice gloves, but the liner likes to pull out. Pisses me off. Especially since I wear them so infrequently that I forget about that until they're halfway off at a gas stop, and then I'm fighting with them. Maybe this last bout irritated me enough that now, it's set.
And they're not "cheap." Not crazy expensive, but not cheap.

...Really nice gloves, but the liner likes to pull out. Pisses me off...
The liner is apparently attached to the fingers in the Impulse RR gloves, there is no looseness or pullout. I can feel some looseness between the liner and the palms which is no issue with dry hands but the liner does stick a bit with wet hands. Not sweat wet, real water wet hands. Even during the past few weeks of mid and upper 90° weather my hands have not sweat in these gloves. When pillion test fit the XL gloves she had just come in from the garden, washed her hands and did not fully dry them before trying on the gloves, this did make the liner stick a little but it didn't pull out or displace.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mesh Cortech Gloves I just bought have a thin, stretchy nylon-feeling liner that is bonded to the leather parts of the glove interior. It was apparently applied to the parts before the glove was sewn together as the stitching goes right through it and seems to hold it in place nicely. For a $60 pair of gloves I am pretty impressed with the construction, fit and feel of them. They seem like they provide a good amount of protection considering how lightweight they are. Longevity of the mesh material will be the big wild card here.

My Held summer gloves are probably the first generation of the Airstream line, with lots of perforations in the leather, lots of mesh and plastic air scoops on the knuckles. One really nice feature is the mesh between the fingers. Another is the super fabric covering along the palm at the "blade" of the hand. Mine have a short gauntlet, but the current version has a full-length gauntlet. After four or five (I forget just how many) years of wear, I am still very happy with them.

I'd never heard of the Rodneys, but I don't think I would like them as much because there's too much leather for hot day cooling.

Held gloves are at the top of my recommendation list. I liked the Airstreams so much that I got a pair of Steves for moderate weather.

WBill

My local BMW shop carries Held and will order what you want. I used to wear the original Held Steves and loved them, but they tended to wear out pretty quickly. Could have sworn I heard somewhere the Steve classics are no longer built to the original specs. Now I use BMW-brand GT-style gloves (I pulled the tags out, so don't know the model number), which fit slightly better than the Steves.

I have 3 pairs of Held. I have a pair of the original Air Streams, a pair of Steves (which hardly ever get worn) and for wet weather a pair of Warm 'n Dry. Of these I wear the Air Streams most of the time and after about 6 years they are about ready to be replaced.

HELD is probably in the top three of gloves.....at least for my hands :)

My first pair of MC-gloves was HELD Ninja, perfect fit and lasted for nine years!

Now I almost only use my HELD summer gloves (Air Stream) and my HELD "Touring/Racing-gloves" (Phantom - Disconinued).

One of my friends has a pair of HELD Rain-gloves (can´t rembeber the name....of the gloves, his name is Niklas) and he says it´s the best rain-gloves he has ever owened in 12 years :)

I just received my Held Rodney's this afternoon in the mail. Going to test them out tomorrow. I do have to say the advice on Revzilla didn't work for me. They said if I was inbetween sizes to go to the smaller number. I needed to go up a number. They are still pretty snug, but since they are leather hopefully they will stretch out a bit.

I just received my Held Rodney's this afternoon in the mail. Going to test them out tomorrow. I do have to say the advice on Revzilla didn't work for me. They said if I was inbetween sizes to go to the smaller number. I needed to go up a number. They are still pretty snug, but since they are leather hopefully they will stretch out a bit.
I wouldn't count on it. You paid too much for gloves that don't fit. Revzilla is good about returns/exchanges.

300 mile break in on the gloves today. They broke in pretty well in one day. I think a few more rides and they will be like a second skin. My winter Helds took about a dozen rides now they are perfect. I think these will get there. Only slightly snug now.

I received the Held Rodneys in the mail. I went up a size to 2xl per the recommendations and they fit ok, but "not like a glove". Sent them back to Revzilla and got the 10's (or XL's). They are much more snug, and fit much better in the thumb and pinky (which were way long on the 2xl's). Just wearing them around the house checking them out they stretched out enough that I know they are going to be fine. There is still a little room in the pinky and thumb but not much and I'll live with it. The other fingers are to the ends. Haven't made it out on the bike yet.

I have a pair of Held Air and Dry's and I really like them alot!! I measured my hand per the instructions on Revzilla's site, ordered them and really liked the fit. After a few weeks of riding once they were broken in I probably could have gone a size down because they do feel just a tad big. I wish ordered two sizes to really know which size would have been best, Revzilla's return policy is great!!

As far as the Air and Dry's, I'm on my second season and really like them alot. From about 40 degrees and up they are the only gloves I wear. Yes they are warm in the summer and I don't find them to be unbearably warm in the 90s or worse. Besides, when the temps get hot and if you want good protection, all the gloves are going to be warm/hot in my opinion. And my hands stay dry in the rain. Don't forget to hand wash your gloves at least once a year with warm water and some dish soap, then treat the leather with a conditioner. The oils and sweat from your hands does break down the materials faster if you don't do that.

Finally gave the new Held Rodney's a two hour ride. First, I like a short cuff. These are shorter than a gauntlet style, but still require tucking into the jacket sleeve. Not preferred but I'll get used to it.

The gloves themselves seem very well made. These are perforated front and back, but can't really feel the air flow unless I put my palm in the air, which isn't really useful. I don't feel any air on the back at all (the back is lined with coolmax material). I'm guessing I can probably wear these down into some cooler (not cold) temps, but was looking for a cool hot weather glove. The Kangaroo leather palm is supposed to provide superior grip. Personally, I can't tell the difference.

The funny thing is, the thumb is a little long....until you use the turn signals or any of the controls with your left hand. Then it fits perfectly. How have I never noticed that before? I've been riding for 35 years. I guess all of my gloves have been fit or don't fit. I finally buy the $120 pair and now I'm paying attention to every little detail. For $120 they have to fit just right. For $25 a finger or two can be a little off.

Overall, they are nice. Not sure if they are $120 nice. Time will tell.

Thanks for all of the replies to my original post. Ride safe.

Don.

Oh, and Ionbeam, reading your post may have cost me more money.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 pairs of Held gloves, freezer, rainstar and touch (mesh). All temperatures and conditions covered. 1 pair 5 years old, 1 pair 3 yo and 1 pair new. Absolute top quality and have worn really well. Many years left in them all.