• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Helmet Lock Brackets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a follow up to my interference between my new Ohlins shock and the lock brackets. I have a left side lock bracket with powerlet socket which is in the way of the Ohlins preload adjuster. On the right side I have a plain lock bracket.

I moved the left side lock/powerlet bracket over to the right side and it fit nicely. :yahoo:

townsendbracketreversed.jpg

The right side bracket won't work on the left side. A stock left side lock only bracket might work on the left side, but I want my powerlet to be on the left side and there's not enough room for both lock and powerlet. So I'll be making a new bracket this week ASAP because it's a pain to plug in my liner on the right side. :angry2:

For the month of February. 2010 ONLY, free shipping on all helmet lock brackets. This is for the continental US only. All brackets are in stock.

Please mention the make and year bike (different generations utililize different style brackets) when e-mailing for information (as I sell brackets for BMW's as well)

PLease e-mail me direct for further pictures/prices etc at:

[email protected]

Thanks, Scott

I recommend these as an accessory to the helmet guardian or any other brand of helmet lock. I bought a pair and keep them in a sidebag--very inexpensive. Just a sturdy metal "T" for your D-rings with a hole on the other end that the lock goes through. I found the photo just by Googling "helmet lock extension," and I'm sure you can get them many places. I find it's often difficult to get the helmet (or more than one) up into the proper position to put it into the lock ring. These things make it a lot simpler and can also double the holding capacity of your locks.

HelmetLockExtChr.jpg

Can you buy the helmet guardian locks without the license plate bracket. Seems a waste to spend $50 on the locks with the bracket then not use the bracket. Do the motion pro locks work?

Can you buy the helmet guardian locks without the license plate bracket. Seems a waste to spend $50 on the locks with the bracket then not use the bracket. Do the motion pro locks work?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To my knowledge you cannot buy the Helmet Gardian without the bracket.

The motion pro lock is designed to bolt around a 7/8 bar and will not fit.

If you check previous posts, someone posted a Yamaha part # for a Yamaha lock assembly that will work(can be re-keyed to fit the ignition as well). The demensions of the Yamaha lock and the Helmet Gardian are the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed these brackets using Yamaha p/n 26H-21308-00 locks. (from 2006 star 650 classic) They are more expensive but the key will fit in the tumbler, and it is simple to reconfigure to your key code see: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...amp;hl=guardian. It mounts to the bracket perfectly. It is exactly the same as the helmet guardian lock shown in the above thread, only your key will fit in with no guessing. This is a very nice setup.

I cannot confirm these locks use the same style key as the FJR but it is an original part from Yamaha and can be purchased individually should you only require one lock.

The link posted above, shows how to re-key the lock assembly yourself. This process is the same for both the Yamaha lock and the Helmet Gardian. (thanks Harald)

Scott

The Star 650 p/n for the helmet lock is listed as 4R8-21308-00-00 in the Yammie online parts fiche. Looks to be about $25 at Zanotti's and appears to be the best solution. Are the brackets sold individually or just in sets of two?

Thanks for all the help.

I recommend these as an accessory to the helmet guardian or any other brand of helmet lock. I bought a pair and keep them in a sidebag--very inexpensive. Just a sturdy metal "T" for your D-rings with a hole on the other end that the lock goes through. I found the photo just by Googling "helmet lock extension," and I'm sure you can get them many places. I find it's often difficult to get the helmet (or more than one) up into the proper position to put it into the lock ring. These things make it a lot simpler and can also double the holding capacity of your locks.

HelmetLockExtChr.jpg

I have Scott's guardian system mounted on both sides of my bike, had them rekeyed to fit the FJR, and on one I even have the Powerlet socket. Yes, the clearances are close but I was concerned that using a "T" compromised some of the security that the lock afforded by allowing too much room for a "tool" to be inserted breaking the guardian's locking arm. Just my 2cents and maybe I'm paranoid. If they want it bad enough they'll get it but I have the Scala Rider Q2s on our helmets so it would be a huge loss for me. :unsure:

I have Scott's guardian system mounted on both sides of my bike, had them rekeyed to fit the FJR, and on one I even have the Powerlet socket. Yes, the clearances are close but I was concerned that using a "T" compromised some of the security that the lock afforded by allowing too much room for a "tool" to be inserted breaking the guardian's locking arm. Just my 2cents and maybe I'm paranoid. If they want it bad enough they'll get it but I have the Scala Rider Q2s on our helmets so it would be a huge loss for me. :unsure:

What are you doing to keep the Q2s from being pried away from inside the helmets? :unsure:

The Star 650 p/n for the helmet lock is listed as 4R8-21308-00-00 in the Yammie online parts fiche. Looks to be about $25 at Zanotti's and appears to be the best solution. Are the brackets sold individually or just in sets of two?
Thanks for all the help.

The brackets can be sold individually, with several different options (additional tab for a BMW electrical outlet(s).

Scott

What are you doing to keep the Q2s from being pried away from inside the helmets? :unsure:
Of course you are right. :blink: I guess that I hope most thieves will likely destroy the mounting and the Q2 because they may be an opportunistic sort and not really know that they need to use an allen wrench to loosen the mount properly. That way it will not be useful to them. <_<

For the FREE SHIPPING offer, orders must be post marked by February 28th.

For further info/pic's etc please e-mail me direct at: Townsends [email protected] .

Please mention FJR lock bracket and the year bike (Gen I or Gen II).

Thanks, Scott

I just bought 2 new helmets that do not have D rings? Never thought about it until I needed the helmet lock yesterday?!?!

The free shipping expired in February. Free shipping will not be honored on any future orders, checks will be returned....

Thanks and safe riding,

Scott

Thanks for all the help.

The Star 650 lock works fine with the bracket. But....the re-keying procedure (link to the other thread somewhere above) doesn't work. The FJR key is longer and the Star key has an extra longitudinal slot. The FJR key doesn't even go into the Star lock.

No biggie. I'll just carry the extra key. I don't need the helmet lock, much. Mainly on longer trips.

Nice bracket.

I no longer have a D-link on my new helmet and there is no way to lock it onto the bracket. Is there anything I can buy to get it to work?

I no longer have a D-link on my new helmet and there is no way to lock it onto the bracket. Is there anything I can buy to get it to work?
I'd check with the helmet manufacturer and see if they have any suggestions. I vaugly remember someone coming up with something (short cable around the chin guard maybe?)

Thanks Scott for the nicely built helmet lock bracket and the incredible service. I've never dealt with anyone more conscientious. Great feed back and Scott Townsend emailed me to ensure I recieved my purchase. Unbelievable!

Please e-mail me direct @ [email protected] for further pictures, prices, etc. All brackets are in stock for ALL year FJR's.

As a side note, helmet lock brackets are also available for certain BMW's which use the standard BMW lock assembly (same key as your ignition).

Thank you!

Scott