Helmet of Choice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
Being new to the Forum, I was looking for a section where FJR owners post pictures of their rides and trips they have been on. I was wondering which helmet type is most popular.

Living in Arizona, a person is really tempted to not wear a helmet, especially in the hotter months. During my many years to traveling around I always had a helmet with me but only wore it in the states that required it. And yes, I’ve heard it all and I have been down once :eek: , a long time ago. Granted, the majority of my traveling days were done aboard a Gold Wing or a V-Twin. This is my first Sport Touring bike and I’ve never ridden one of today’s Sport Bikes.

To go along with this new FJ, I purchased a full coverage ICON Domain 2. It fits well and it doesn’t smash my head like some Shoei’s I’ve had. But getting used to a full coverage helmet is not going to be easy.

I was wondering what type of helmet (if any) many of you wear. My new OEM Touring windshield is arriving tomorrow, so before I make any additional choices I’ll have to see if it offers better wind protection. If it does, maybe I’ll go with an open face type helmet. So I ask, do any of you wear an open face helmet or do most of you wear a full coverage? How many of you don't wear a helmet at all? As I make my rounds around my city I see about 5-15% :dribble: helmet usage regardless of the type of bike being ridden.

I came to the FJR from a Venture Royale and for me, too, the full face helmets took some getting used to. I have a KBC full face, which is comfy enough but the ventilation is poor. I often ride with the shield up or partially open.

Bug protection is a real benefit of the full face with shield closed when riding fast. Surprisingly, when it's real hot, like on my WFO6 trip last July, I was cooler with the shield down because it protected me from the direct hot air blast.

I came to the FJR from a Venture Royale and for me, too......
I rode an '84 Venture Royal for 13 years B)

I run with a Shoei Multitec. I like the flip up option, and it flows good air. Fits well too. I've run with a Nolan 102, but it didn't flow enough air for me, and the shield constantly snapped shut at speed, really annoying. I'm one that likes to run with the shield open 90% of the time.

I currently wear a Shoei X-11 full face but have a HJC CyMax on the shelf for this summer. Living not that far south of you, I think you might want to start out with a flip up due to extremely hot weather. I don't have to tell you that 118 degrees is more than 18 degrees over 100; it's a ton more. When you come to a stop or slow down, you can then flip up the entire front rather than just a visor. The trouble with the HJC CyMax is that it doesn't vent well as many helmets don't. I'd spend a little time on the Internet finding a helmet that vents well. The Shoe X-11 vents well up to about 90 degrees and then it just runs out of technology. Maybe they all do. As for not using a helmet, it's an individual choice here but I would never do it. I ran into a swarm of bees the other day in the desert and the almost hurt through the helmet. They hit extremely hard. And, they have relatives that are bigger yet. Good Luck.

I wear the Scorpion EXO 700 and like it pretty well. Does get a little warm in the Texas heat but I think all do, hell, it's hot here in the summer without a helmet.

I switched to the FJR from a line of sportbikes ( F4i,929RR,SV1000S ) and have always worn a full face helmet. I've had Shoei RF900, Arai RX7 Corsair, and now a Suomy Spec 1R. I prefer the fit of the overall comfort of the Arai, but it is very noisy. Flows a fair amount of air also. My next lid will be a Scorpion EXO 1000 I think. Simply for the flip-down sunshade.

I use both a Shoei RF1000 & an X11....both vent really well with the edge going to the X11.....the only draw back is noise, the louder the lid the more the ventilation (at least with Shoei) but anyone riding that doesn't wear earplugs is only kidding themselves if they think they aren't suffering hearing loss.... :dntknw: ....but each to there own....

A girl needs choices in her wardrobe, and helmets are no exception. There is one 3/4 helmet in my collection, but the only time I ever wear that is when teaching MSF classes. All the others are full face coverage. The best fit, for me is an Icon Hooligan.

Jill

I have an Arai head, but right now I am squeezing it into a Shoei Multitech. Helmet hair is so sexy I've been told....NOT!!

The Arai XD is a cool looking helmet. When describing it Aria mentions it looks like a MX style helmet.

While still breaking in my new FJ I took a ride out to Parker, AZ, crossed into California, turned right and headed back towards the Dam. Just prior to getting there, I got hit in the low windshield with a small swam of bees (about 20-30) and two of those little suckers sung me in my right shoulder. Once at the Dam, I stopped and borrowed a utility tool (leatherman) from one of the guards and pulled the stingers out.

I just read an article a few days ago about the need for ear-plugs while riding. Because of my height, the stock windshield kills me with noise. I’m hoping the OEM touring shield helps. But everyone is right; a full coverage helmet sure does help.

Years back I lived in Colorado and took a ride to visit some friends in Phoenix. This was over the 4th of July. Once I descended down into Phoenix from Flagstaff, the heat and smog was so bad, I told myself I would not even own a bike if I lived in Arizona. But here I am several years later and I ride two bikes now and even in July and August. I guess it is just a matter of getting used to it.

My ICON has several little trick vents that open and close. How good they actually work, well, I’ll have to wait until July for the real test. I have two kids attending college in Flagstaff that I’m looking forward to visiting this summer on my bike. If I leave early enough, once I get to Kingman the altitude is much higher and the temps don’t get nearly as bad as they do here. So the first hour will be warm, but then it’ll cool off and turn into a nice ride. I’m looking forward to riding around Utah this summer camping at the many State and Federal Parks Utah has to offer. I usually go to Utah a couple times per year to ride my ATV’s. Like Colorado, it’s a beautiful place to be on two wheels.

Thanks for the helmet input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old HJC CL33, and a new Roof Boxer. I wear the HJC. The Boxer just sits in its box, looking cool. In fact, it doesn't fit my head, and it just sucks. Best built, most poorly-designed helmet out there.

I'm looking for a new helmet I can live with.

right now I wear an ARAI Quantum. I had a ARAI Signet GT before which I really liked.

Always an ARAI for me. They just fit me better than anyhting else I have tried

I'm wearing an Arai Signet because I have a long oval head. That would be a Profile in the current Arai lineup, I believe. It's not particularly quiet, but I wear earplugs and I'm sorting throught various windshields on my '04, so the noise is manageable.

My only problem is that with any full face helmet I get "earburn" from putting it on and taking it off -- over the course of a trip lasting more than a couple of days, it can get to be like a bad sunburn. Not to hijack this thread, but do any of you with long oval heads have modular/flip-up helmet recommendations? Americade is coming up and I'm hoping to do direct comparisons.

You just cant beat an ARAI for comfort. I've had signets and quantums. Its always the same, just comfortable as hell. theres nothing even close. Hard for me to tell if its noisy since i've got an v-stream windshield on my bike and wear earplugs.

Greygoose